Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Lions Gate using Kindles as Script Readers

From Information Week:

Quote:
The Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN) Kindle has landed a hot new role in Hollywood as a script-reading device. At Lions Gate Entertainment, instead of lugging around briefcases and satchels stuffed with 150-page scripts, some personnel are now reading scripts on their Kindles.

Executives, top script readers, and producers are among the lucky ones getting Kindles from Lions Gate's IT department, with many more employees hoping to eventually get them, said CIO Leo Collins in an interview. "We're getting heart wrenching requests almost hourly," Collins said.
Quote:
Now production assistants are sending .PDFs of scripts in attachments directly to registered Kindle users' email addresses that are set up through Amazon. There are fewer steps required to open an attachment on the Kindle compared with a laptop, making it as easy to read as a paper version.

Those reading scripts can also make notations about them on their Kindles. "The Kindle completely transforms the whole experience,"
I have experimented several times here on MobileRead in trying to create a decent looking rendering of a script on both my Kindle 1 and Kindle 2. I have generated samples that are readable (with PDFRead and Savory) but not the norm. Since the assistants are having PDFs converted through Amazon, the results will not look anything like a normal script page but it seems acceptable since the scripts can be distributed easily and annotated.

I do see a lot of Kindles on set (only one Sony 700 so far).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, that's interesting. i recently read an article about html vs. xml called "unwebbable" talking about why "not every “document” can be a “web page.”" it specifically mentioned scripts / screenplays as classic examples of documents which have specific formatting requirements which don't translate well to html (characters, dialogue, stage directions, and also approximate time represented by one page of a screenplay), although xml would be able to handle them. i would have thought some of the same layout problems (if not the syntactic markup ones) would apply to a (non-pdf) ebook format, although i suppose in some situations they wouldn't matter as much.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
My guess is that if you just want to *read* the script, you can get used to the freaking formatting and it will be serviceable. Beyond that, a paper version will be needed.

There is a tradition of changing the color of the script as it is updated. Sometimes the whole thing will change colors and other times just the changed pages. It is possible to have a script with several different color pages. That will not come across in e-ink as it works today (PixelQi screens could be the way to go).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
"Sorry everyone. I forgot to recharge my script last night."
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Hehehe, I hope they were issued with wallchargers
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
My guess is that if you just want to *read* the script, you can get used to the freaking formatting and it will be serviceable. Beyond that, a paper version will be needed.
good point. just for reading, i suppose any format is fine, really.

Quote:
There is a tradition of changing the color of the script as it is updated. Sometimes the whole thing will change colors and other times just the changed pages. It is possible to have a script with several different color pages. That will not come across in e-ink as it works today (PixelQi screens could be the way to go).
ah yes, that's another detail, which i didn't know about. i suppose they could put the new text in bold or something, while waiting for colour screens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
yeah, i don't think even xml can help with that.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
about html vs. xml
It's a bit silly to compare HTML and XML. Just to be more precise, well formed and valid HTML would be XHTML, which is XML. And XML transformation (on the fly or not) using XSLT has been used for a long time to generate various UI versions of the same data.
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagiz View Post
It's a bit silly to compare HTML and XML. Just to be more precise, well formed and valid HTML would be XHTML, which is XML. And XML transformation (on the fly or not) using XSLT has been used for a long time to generate various UI versions of the same data.
well, the article is really more about web pages than ebooks (in fact it's not at all about ebooks...) and is concerned with good semantics. it is true that (especially on the web) even valid xhtml doesn't necessarily mean semantically-rich code.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
XML is more a way of marking up the various parts of the document. It says nothing about how to display it. That requires a separate rendering engine, and something like XSLT to say what gets translated into what presentation.

I don't know why HTML wouldn't work, as long as a decent set of CSS was supported in the presentation engine. That is the difficulty.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote