Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM   #571
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
hey ixtab! jbpatch 2.2.2 is awesome!!!! most of my books transferred again through caliber have cover view. But I am having trouble with this book inheritance. it's cover isn't showing. Anyway thanks!
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #572
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliu View Post
Thanks, ixtab. Your JBatch and Font Hack make my Kindle touch much pleasant to use.

I just noticed something in the hyphenation patch that can make it perfect: the space before the hyphened word sometimes seems to be smaller than the spaces in the same line. Do you think it is an easy fix? Thanks again.
Can't reproduce. But anyway, I don't think that I could fix it. The layout code is Amazon's, and it's horribly complicated (and in addition, it's horribly obfuscated), so no... I'm not going to mess with it. Since I can't reproduce this, I can only speculate that it may be because the layout doesn't consider the space required for the hyphenation character ("-") itself.

OK, yes... I think I found an occurence. And it looks like I was correct. But the difference is almost unnoticeable, so I'm not going to look into it any further.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #573
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
After upgrading from a Kindle Keyboard to a Kindle Touch in March, I have to admit there's one feature I do miss -- the progress bar at the bottom of the screen showing where you are at all times in a book.

If the TOC was formatted correctly, the chapters would also appear on the bar as nodes, which I found useful, too.

The Touch does show a progress bar, but only for periodicals, as far as I know.

IMHO, it would be great to be able to have this old functionality back, at least for those who miss it.
... check your PM inbox
Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #574
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@veezh yeah everyone needs those progressbars, don't know why amazon removed them. Ixtab, I know I should try doing it myself, but anyway here is a suggestion, is it possible to have a patch that brings the progressbar back as the reader is a part of the java ui ? If yes then I sincerely request you to make a patch that brings it back. It will be helpful to many kindle users. If you don't want to make this patch, then just ignore this post.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #575
ixtab
(offline)

@techiemonkey: Ok, maybe that was a little bit too subtle. If you read between the lines, my last post meant: "I have developed a patch which addresses this issue. But I want veezh to try it (and report back) before I publish it."

Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #576
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

I too am volunteering my kindle for this patch! Send me the patch an I will post the results righjt away. You are so awesome!!!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #577
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
"I have developed a patch which addresses this issue. But I want veezh to try it (and report back) before I publish it."

A huge thank you, ixtab! Just sent you a PM.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #578
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

@ixtab if you are looking for some ideas for patches and are willing to work on them, take a look at this post by me: http://https://www.mobileread.com/for...&postcount=377 and ignore the ones u have already made like the cover view.

Last edited by techiemonkey; 08-25-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #579
ixtab
(offline)

Version 2.3.0

So... here it is.

A new version, including a brand new patch to customize the progress indicator. It defaults to a little graphical display, much like the progress bar that is shown on the K3.

There are also a few major changes under the hood, which is why the version was bumped to 2.3.0. In any case, just updating to the new version should work for everyone.

As this version introduces a new patch, there is also a little bit of translation work to be done (I have already provided the german translation, but all other languages need a small update)...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #580
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Let me be the first to say - downloading and installing as we speak.

thx again.
--
edit:

First impressions: I like the bar. But not quite enough to leave it on in a book for the whole time. I know that this sounds harsh, but how about a toggle on/off option? (long press, or press in lower section of the screen)

I can almost feel the complexity skyrocketing and the problem potential exploding, as Im writing this, but you have to ask - you really do. And by you - of course I mean me.

Last edited by notimp; 08-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #581
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Has it been added the possibility to show the cover of the books previously inserted without Calibre in this new version 2.3.0?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #582
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
First impressions: I like the bar. But not quite enough to leave it on in a book for the whole time. I know that this sounds harsh, but how about a toggle on/off option? (long press, or press in lower section of the screen)
Nice idea (seriously!). And it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Maybe it could even switch between the three views (default, full, progressbar) on click(tap) or long-click. I'll wait for a few more opinions, but yes, this sounds promising. What do you guys (=everyone else) think of this?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #583
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_2203 View Post
Has it been added the possibility to show the cover of the books previously inserted without Calibre in this new version 2.3.0?
No, because this isn't possible. Just move your books from the Kindle to a PC, then move them back to the Kindle, and you should have the covers.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #584
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Switching between the three views sounds great, imho. Longpress also, so the moment gets the "gravitas" it deserves..
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #585
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notimp View Post
Switching between the three views sounds great, imho. Longpress also, so the moment gets the "gravitas" it deserves..
I totally agree and would love to be able to toggle between the three views as well.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks