Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #16
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
When I travel, I can download books on the fly.
Being an impulse ebook buyer is about the only reason I can think of to have wi-fi on an e-ink reader. But since I am not one, I would get zero use out of wi-fi. I only buy a few ebooks a year as it is, and only after careful consideration.

Quote:
Sony's are the most expensive 6 inch e-readers and are the only one of the big four (Sony, Amazon, B&N, and Kobo) to not have a wireless option. I find that reasonably silly on Sony's part.
Well, they have it on their 7-inch reader. Just not the smaller ones.

Quote:
I know that some people place touchscreen before wireless but I would guess that most of the folks buying e-readers prefer wireless over touch screen.
I think that is very debatable in terms of e-ink readers. Personally speaking, I would not have bought my 350 without the touch.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #17
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
If all you are doing is checking books out of the library you probably don't need wireless.

If you are someone who is buying books the WiFi or 3G option is wonderfully liberating. You don't have to own a computer to own and use a Kindle to its fullest. I am assuming the same is true for the Nook.

When I travel, I can download books on the fly. I don't have to worry about carrying a USB cord with me and finding a computer to download a book. I don't travel with a laptop or a netbook so having a computer is not a guarentee. Or if I do have it with me and I am in an airport I want to be able to download the book I want without having to pull out my laptop.

Sony's are the most expensive 6 inch e-readers and are the only one of the big four (Sony, Amazon, B&N, and Kobo) to not have a wireless option. I find that reasonably silly on Sony's part.

I know that some people place touchscreen before wireless but I would guess that most of the folks buying e-readers prefer wireless over touch screen. It is easy enough to change a page using a button. It might be more convienent (sp) to use a swipe but I would find it much more inconvienent to have to find a computer to download a book on the fly.

And yes, I have ordered many a book, normally a sequel, from an airport and even on the metro.

and even if you do own a computer or work with one during the work day, the fact you point, click, buy and then it's on your device without hooking it up is insanly convienant. It also comes in handy with people who aren't too computer savvy. I still have to go to my fathers house when he wants to sideload music on his mp3 player. But he has no problems buying books for his nook on bn.com
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
Except that for the HDTV, the HDMI port would be the sole method of getting high quality digital to the TV from an external source. That is not the case for Wi-Fi on an eReader. There is nothing the wi-fi does in terms of loading up books that a USB cable couldn't do just as well.

But if you don't care about wi-fi on an e-ink reader, then it is unnecessary. It all depends what you are looking for. If there were wi-fi on my 350, I don't think I'd ever use it. On the other hand, if there were no full-screen touch on it, I wouldn't have bought it.

But a smart phone is supposed to be able to surf the web. Its integral to the device. There is nothing about wi-fi that makes it integral to an e-ink reader.

No it isnt, you can get HD channels using component cables

my point is price to feature, not necessarily your wants and needs.

For example if a car is fully loaded and the same model is value packaged and the value packaged is all you need, would you expect to pay more for the Value packaged model?

See what I mean.

I have no issues per say the 650 not having wireless, it's the fact Sony Charges a premium but yet leaves out the most common premium feature.

that's all.

650 is a tough price at $230.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Well, they have it on their 7-inch reader. Just not the smaller ones.

I think that is very debatable in terms of e-ink readers. Personally speaking, I would not have bought my 350 without the touch.
I think all Sony's are way over priced for what they are and what they offer. They are suppose to be more rugged and the touchscreen is suppose to be great.

They do look nice but I don't buy that they are any more durable then a Kindle or a Nook. My brother bought a 505 shortly after I bought my K1. Neither one of them have had any issues. I travel a lot more then he does which means that I have been harder on my K1 then he has his 505 (airports, airplanes, backpacks, hotels, subways, busses, all sorts of area for breakage). So I don't buy for a second that the extra money that goes into the casing is really needed.

They may look nicer to folks, that is subjective, but wouldn't pay more for a device because it looks nicer.

The touchscreen is something that is subjective. I don't need it, heck I don't want it, but if I did want it I am not sure that paying $100 more for a device with a touchscreen is worth it.

And I do think that if you were to ask people what is more important in their e-reader, Wireless capability of some sort, or a touchscreen most folks will say wireless. It just isn't that hard to navigate pushing a button but it is more combersome to buy books when you have to have a computer around.

For someone who is primarily using the library this is less of an issue. But having the option of buying books where you want when you want is nice. More then one person on this board had commented that they didn't think the wireless was all that important and then they started using it and changed their mind.

There is a reason you see more Nooks and Kindles out in the wild, at least in the US. I think it is because they are more afforable and I think it is because they have the wireless options. And they have been better marketed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Yes, I know just a week ago Best Buy was still selling the 300 and 600. I haven't played with the 350 or 650 yet, but I have friends that have them and they say there is no contest, they wouldn't recommend the 300/600r after these.

Same goes for the Nook, make sure it has the 1.5 software update on it as much was improved with it.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #21
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The kobo or the sony they both run on adobe digital editions but pdf reading sucks on probably everything, but epubs are great

hope this help
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
No it isnt, you can get HD channels using component cables

my point is price to feature, not necessarily your wants and needs.
But you can't get uncompressed digital feeds using component cables.

My point is that "wi-fi" as a feature in e-ink readers is pretty dubious. Obviously it is not one of my wants and needs. And I think for many people who use e-ink readers that would be the case too.

Quote:
For example if a car is fully loaded and the same model is value packaged and the value packaged is all you need, would you expect to pay more for the Value packaged model?
But then you agree, it comes down to wants and needs. I don't think the "value packaged" models would be as satisfactory for someone who wants touch capabilities or the smaller footprint, lighter weight, and sleeker styling of the Sonys.

Quote:
I have no issues per say the 650 not having wireless, it's the fact Sony Charges a premium but yet leaves out the most common premium feature.
If something is not used or is barely used, it would be a pretty useless premium feature, no? In the meantime, it has something no other e-ink reader has -- full touch on a Pearl e-ink screen. That to me is much much more a premium feature than wi-fi.

Quote:
650 is a tough price at $230.
Yes, it's up there. However, there are many who have paid far lower due to extensive promotions being run since these readers hit the market.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #23
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:

They may look nicer to folks, that is subjective, but wouldn't pay more for a device because it looks nicer.

The touchscreen is something that is subjective. I don't need it, heck I don't want it, but if I did want it I am not sure that paying $100 more for a device with a touchscreen is worth it.
I would pay more for a device if it looked nicer, and I think a lot of Americans are that way too. The question is how much more. I wouldn't pay $100 more just for looks, but I would for looks PLUS touch and extra portability. But in the case of the Sony's, if you get them with the promotions, you really don't end up paying $100 more. My PRS-350 cost $130 figuring in the free lighted cover that came with it, which is cheaper than the Kindle and cheaper or the same as the Nook 1. And with it, I got something the Nook or Kindle don't have -- extreme portability and touch.

Quote:
And I do think that if you were to ask people what is more important in their e-reader, Wireless capability of some sort, or a touchscreen most folks will say wireless. It just isn't that hard to navigate pushing a button but it is more combersome to buy books when you have to have a computer around.
I disagree. For those who have actually used both on an e-ink reader, I bet if you told them they had to give up one, their choice, most would choose to give up the wi-fi. And it's not that pushing a button is "hard" ... it's just inconvenient. A touchscreen also lends itself to a much more ergonomically satisfying reading experience.

I've seen people on this boards say they never wanted touch, but once they got a device with it and started using it, they loved it.

Quote:
There is a reason you see more Nooks and Kindles out in the wild, at least in the US. I think it is because they are more afforable and I think it is because they have the wireless options. And they have been better marketed.
Agree with the affordability and marketing issues. Sony has zero marketing. Disagree with the wireless.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't know. My finger rests on the button. When I want to turn the page I apply a little pressure. I have to do more to swipe then I do to push. I fail to see how that is a better method. Then again, I don't like touch screens so I am not likely to understand the love anyway.(shrugs)

I would be surprised if more then 10% of Kindle and Nook owners would be willing to give up the WiFi or 3G connectivity. It was one of the original selling points and I dare say that it remains a very important selling point. I can buy books where I want when I want. It is really nice to have that available.

Clearly it is not important for most Sony users, you wouldn't buy any of the 300/350, 600/650 e-readers if it was, but I think they are the minority of e-book reader users. The numbers here at Mobile Read are way skewed. I have seen a ton of Kindles, a few Nooks, and many an IPad in the wild. I have yet to see a Kobo and I know two people who own a Sony but have never seen one in the wild.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I don't know. My finger rests on the button. When I want to turn the page I apply a little pressure. I have to do more to swipe then I do to push. I fail to see how that is a better method. Then again, I don't like touch screens so I am not likely to understand the love anyway.(shrugs)

I would be surprised if more then 10% of Kindle and Nook owners would be willing to give up the WiFi or 3G connectivity. It was one of the original selling points and I dare say that it remains a very important selling point. I can buy books where I want when I want. It is really nice to have that available.

Clearly it is not important for most Sony users, you wouldn't buy any of the 300/350, 600/650 e-readers if it was, but I think they are the minority of e-book reader users. The numbers here at Mobile Read are way skewed. I have seen a ton of Kindles, a few Nooks, and many an IPad in the wild. I have yet to see a Kobo and I know two people who own a Sony but have never seen one in the wild.

I wonder how many 950 owners would give up their wireless

in all seriousness wireless is one of those features that unless you have it, you have no idea what you are missing.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #26
boswd
Banned

Quote:
But you can't get uncompressed digital feeds using component cables.

My point is that "wi-fi" as a feature in e-ink readers is pretty dubious. Obviously it is not one of my wants and needs. And I think for many people who use e-ink readers that would be the case too.

But then you agree, it comes down to wants and needs. I don't think the "value packaged" models would be as satisfactory for someone who wants touch capabilities or the smaller footprint, lighter weight, and sleeker styling of the Sonys.

If something is not used or is barely used, it would be a pretty useless premium feature, no? In the meantime, it has something no other e-ink reader has -- full touch on a Pearl e-ink screen. That to me is much much more a premium feature than wi-fi.

Yes, it's up there. However, there are many who have paid far lower due to extensive promotions being run since these readers hit the market.
and oh by the way all your digital feeds are compressed to a certain degree or another. some cable companies are worse than others.

The only way to get uncompressed HD digital feed for your TV is from Over The Air with an antenna. Even Blu rays are compressed.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #27
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have a Sony 900 (7" with wifi) and love it. I had a Sony 600 but gave it to my mother (give a gift, get an upgrade! ), who loves it. I would rather have the touchscreen than the wifi, although it IS nice having both!

I get most of my books from the library, free books from the Sony Reader store, and buy a few from Kobo or Books on Board or the Sony store.

The touchscreen is great for taking notes on the text, or jotting a reminder to myself, or drawing a picture -- and double-tapping a word for the dictionary is priceless! When I read paper books now I forget and try to tap the page to get a definition!

Whatever you get her, don't forget the booklight, case, and screen protector. She will love having so many books in such a small package, especially for reading in bed, no matter which you choose!

Happy gifting!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
When you swipe, you can swipe at any point on the screen, in a gazillion ways. Much easier to do in a variety of reading positions/angles. With a button, your finger is stuck there for hours at a time, in one position. Much less flexibility.

Have you ever even owned a device with a touch screen? I'm guessing no.

Quote:
If you are not an impulse ebook buyer, then the wi-fi is pretty irrelevant. Touch navigation is used all the time, OTOH. My point is that for those who have used both wi-fi and touch on eReaders (so that excludes most Kindle owners) and if they were told they'd have to give up one, I think most would give up wi-fi.

Quote:
And that's because of the lack of marketing and price point of the Sonys vs. the Nook and Kindle. The Nook and Kindle also have large built-in audiences, being American companies that heavily market a wide range of media and, in the case of Amazon, a whole lot more.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #29
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
I think the original poster would probably benefit from wifi because he said he needs something that's easy to use. His wife may not buy books that cost money, but I bet she'll want to "buy" the free books that the store offers. With wifi on my K3, all I have to do is go to "menu" & select "wifi on" for the books I bought to download. It can't get much easier than that. If I had to choose between nook, and Sony, I'd go with the nook. On the Sony there's 3 things I don't care for: the price, the touchscreen, the no wifi(except on the outrageously expensive model). Also, on the nook, you can get free books from B&N, kobo, & Sony stores. With the Sony, you can't buy books from B&N.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
and oh by the way all your digital feeds are compressed to a certain degree or another. some cable companies are worse than others.

The only way to get uncompressed HD digital feed for your TV is from Over The Air with an antenna. Even Blu rays are compressed.
Regardless, the point remains that there are some video/audio feeds that are best displayed via HDMI. There is no such comparable analogy with wi-fi vs. USB on an e-ink reader.

Tags
cruz, cruz reader, ereader