Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #31
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_ahn View Post
i want to make ebooks and have people pirate the free ebooks i put out to spread my name like bubonic plague throughout prague and beyond
Now there's a beautiful metaphor for you... plague-ridden pirates...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #32
jeremy_ahn
Banned
jeremy_ahn began at the beginning.

Device: any
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Now there's a beautiful metaphor for you... plague-ridden pirates...
mmm deliciousness. i drool on my keyboard. brb, i'm going to my fridge for cheese and yogurt and dip and ranch dressing. slurpy time.
jeremy_ahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #33
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
If anyone is using Scrivener and Smashwords, I posted an export filter to format the former for the latter: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=643143

If you use it, let me know how it works. Thanks!
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #34
Mindy Reed
The Authors Assistant
Mindy Reed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help getting my manuscript on Kindle

What is the best way to get my manuscript onto the Kindle. I have the .pdf files from book publisher.
Mindy Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #35
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Reed View Post
What is the best way to get my manuscript onto the Kindle. I have the .pdf files from book publisher.
I would suggest that you go to the Kindle Forum and ask there. The Writer's Corner is mostly about writing books. The folks who hag out at the Kindle forum are very helpful and will walk you thorugh the process. And welcome to Mobile Read!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #36
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a very helpful discussion. Most writers just want to write, but these days they have to know about marketing, different e-reader formats etc. Confusing for a lot of people who are tech-minded. Easy to understand guides and more info on different companies who distribute and sell your ebooks is very helpful to all writers.
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #37
sibelhodge
Enthusiast
sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sibelhodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
You could have knocked me over with a feather when I looked at the numbers the other day. I'm not writing novels, I've not even put out any novellas yet, and we're continually told by the big pubs that short-stories aren't read and don't have an audience. I would have been happy with 50 downloads, so this number is ridiculous and goes beyond all my wildest dreams
With e-readers now, I think there is going to be a big demand for short fiction, magazines etc as well.
sibelhodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #38
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelhodge View Post
With e-readers now, I think there is going to be a big demand for short fiction, magazines etc as well.
And just when I gave up writing short-fiction and marketing too Damnit, I always end up shooting myself in the foot.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #39
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Do any of the portals mentioned here force you to go exclusive with them? I gather Amazon requires charging for books epublished with them, could someone publish there but still publish elsewhere without charging?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #40
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Do any of the portals mentioned here force you to go exclusive with them? I gather Amazon requires charging for books epublished with them, could someone publish there but still publish elsewhere without charging?
I don't think any of them do. Smashwords, Feedbooks and Amazon definitely don't. You can sell for a price on Amazon and give away free elsewhere - I know a few authors doing exactly that.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #41
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks nomesque.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
There's a very useful resource I mentioned in another (non-sticky) thread, so I'm re-posting it here so I don't lose it again.

http://ebookarchitects.com/conversions/retailers.php

This list the various ebook retailers and wholesalers, and what their requirements are. It seems to be accurate and up-to-date.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #43
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smashwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Apparently (so I read on another forum and on several blogs) it's likely that Smashword books will also be integrated into Fictionwise as well as B&N. Details are pretty scant. And while I can find articles that mention the B&N partnership, not enough details to know exactly how this will work or how things will change.

Maria
Sage: (multiple formats; Amazon or Smashwords--$1.00)
Catch an Honest Thief (Kindle only format: $1.99; a cozy mystery)
If it helps, my free short stories are on B&N and Shortcovers/Kobo via Smashwords but not Amazon, although they should be distributed to Amazon, Sony and Apple eventually...

Cheers

MT
[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2012 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot my signature again
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My ebooks have been on sale through Lightning Source for a while now. (ePub, DRM-free, 25% discount). Here's a list of stores which seem to have picked them up from the Ingram Digital feed:

BooksOnBoard
CoolerBooks
CyberRead
Diesel eBooks
DirecteBooks
ereadable
Lybrary
OmniLit
Powell's Books

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-27-2010 at 11:47 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I'll weigh in with my experience regarding DRM -- it's not worth it. The technology is unreliable and will work against you far more than it will ever do in your favour.

The only reason big companies (book publishers, video game publishers, etc.) get away with DRM is because their customer base has no choice but to accept it to get the product they want. The challenge for a small author, however, is to get people to want your product in the first place.

The simple fact is, people don't like jumping through hoops, especially when they're paying good money for the privilege. The desire to protect your work is understandable, but it's not realistic. Producing content on the internet is like being one voice in a choir of millions all fighting to be heard. If anyone actually wants to steal your work, they can and they will -- but if you make it difficult for honest readers to get to your content, they have so many other options available that they're not going to want the hassle of dealing with a crippled file. Some people refuse to use anything with DRM on it as a matter of principle.

The big thing at the heart of the DRM fallacy is that DRM doesn't deter pirates, but it does put off honest people who deserve to be able to use the file they bought without added headaches. It's worth remembering.

Regards,
Ryan
With you all the way! DRM is pants and pointless and as a user, I hate it with a passion, I would feel thoroughly hypocritical foisting it on my own readers. The only reason I can see, for having that kind of meanness of spirit with your ideas is because they are drying up. There are plenty more where mine came from so...
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote