Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
E-books in Italian - where?

Does anyone have any resources for e-books in Italian, preferably in EPUB or LRF format?

I'm particularly interested in easy-to-read books for children or young adults.

Grazie mille.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
You might find this site useful:
http://www.liberliber.it/biblioteca/index.htm
It has over 1500 e-books in Italian, most of them are the full text of public domain books and the few copyrighted texts are distributed with permission of the author.
Most of the e-books are available in three formats : txt, pdf and rtf.
The site is completely in Italian, you can browse its catalog by author, title or topic.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Olis! That site is amazing. They even have books in dialects!

I'll poke around and see what I can find for children.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Thank you, Olis! That site is amazing. They even have books in dialects!
The "modern" Italian language is a very recent "invention" - less than a century old. In the First World War, troops from different parts of Italy spoke mutually incomprehensible languages and were unable to understand one another. Even today, regional dialects such as Neopolitan often cannot be understood by people from other parts of Italy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "modern" Italian language is a very recent "invention" - less than a century old. In the First World War, troops from different parts of Italy spoke mutually incomprehensible languages and were unable to understand one another. Even today, regional dialects such as Neopolitan often cannot be understood by people from other parts of Italy.
Isn't that the same in the UK? (still today, btw)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some may well say so . I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #7
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Even today, regional dialects such as Neopolitan often cannot be understood by people from other parts of Italy.
I wouldn't say "often". Sometimes some word or expression in strict dialect cannot be understood in every part of Italy, but "often" is surely an exaggeration.
By the way, Neopolitan is one of the best known dialects in Italy.

Last edited by olis; 07-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:

My parents and grandparents all spoke dialects, so I'm well aware of this. My mother will be happy to read books in Piemontese. As Olis says, some dialects are more widely known than others. Bergamesa (the language of my maternal grandfather) is little like national Italian IMO.

Actually modern Italian is not an invention. It is the dialect of Florence, reportedly chosen as the national language because it was the language in which Dante wrote The Divine Comedy.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
olis
Zealot

Quote:
The "modern" Italian language is a very recent "invention" - less than a century old.
Modern Italian language is much, much older than a century.
All scholars/historians agree that by the end of the 16th century there was a common standard for literary Italian and it was substantially the same as modern spoken Italian.
The official legislative body of the Italian language, L'Accademia della Crusca, was founded at the end of the 16th century and the first modern Italian dictionary was published in 1612.
On the other hand, the diffusion of the literary language as spoken language is a relatively recent phenomenon.
In the 19th century the Italian language was spoken only by a small percentage of the population. The unification of Italy (1861), WWI, and several other factors (e.g. mass-media diffusion) greatly contributed to the spreading of the Italian language throughout the nation.
Quote:
It is the dialect of Florence, reportedly chosen as the national language because it was the language in which Dante wrote The Divine Comedy.
Dante played a prominent part in the standardization of the Italian language and his Tuscany dialect (fiorentino) was the basis upon which modern Italian was founded.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Dante played a prominent part in the standardization of the Italian language and his Tuscany dialect (fiorentino) was the basis upon which modern Italian was founded.
I don't speak Italian, but I do speak Latin. When I look at Dante's "Divine Comedy", it appears, to my eye, to be a lot closer to Latin than modern Italian is - I can understand much more of it than I can modern Italian.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't speak Italian, but I do speak Latin. When I look at Dante's "Divine Comedy", it appears, to my eye, to be a lot closer to Latin than modern Italian is - I can understand much more of it than I can modern Italian.
Italian has taken a long evolution from Latin. As a matter of fact, Dante and Lampedusa were forging the common ground of the Italian language. Italian, as a written language, is quite old (but never was talked). Only recently, with a higher level of education, the "high" Italian is been used more and more as a talking language.

This evolution of the italian language is largely the same as with German (Luther and Gutenberg) or English (Shakespeare).
Old 07-20-2009, 06:59 AM   #12
olis
Zealot

Quote:
Modern Italian is closer to "volgare fiorentino" (the language in which Dante wrote the Divina Commedia) than to classic Latin. A modern Italian speaker can understand most of what is written in the Divina Commedia but he can understand very little of, for example, Cicero's works.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by olis View Post
Modern Italian is closer to "volgare fiorentino" (the language in which Dante wrote the Divina Commedia) than to classic Latin. A modern Italian speaker can understand most of what is written in the Divina Commedia but he can understand very little of, for example, Cicero's works.
I have found this to be true for myself. I'm embarrassed to admit that I speak very little Italian (embarrassed because I'm an Italian citizen; I should know how to speak the language). Back on topic -- I speak a little Italian but no Latin; a friend of mine speaks Latin but no Italian. They are very different languages indeed.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
I have found this to be true for myself. I'm embarrassed to admit that I speak very little Italian (embarrassed because I'm an Italian citizen; I should know how to speak the language). Back on topic -- I speak a little Italian but no Latin; a friend of mine speaks Latin but no Italian. They are very different languages indeed.
I had to learn Italian in school, too. Italians are adapting all too well, it seems!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Yes, and most of my Italian friends want to practice their English, so I don't get enough opportunity to practice my Italian.