Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Downloading maps for Navigator?

Is there any way to download maps for a journey in advance so that the "Navigator" app can be used without an Internet connection? It looks like a very useful app, but it's of limited use on a WiFi only tablet unless the maps are available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Which "Navigator" app are you referring to? Most of them do, I believe.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Google maps but you got to have a GPS chip
for location.

Others too. I think Mapquest.

Both can give turn directions.

Never ever get a device without its own chip.

The function uses a lot of power by the way.

I like to use dedicated units with a tablet or net book
for secondary intensive terrain/area inspection.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is there any way to download maps for a journey in advance so that the "Navigator" app can be used without an Internet connection? It looks like a very useful app, but it's of limited use on a WiFi only tablet unless the maps are available.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Which "Navigator" app are you referring to? Most of them do, I believe.
The one that was pre-installed on my Galaxy Tab 2. I believe it's a standard Google app.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I've got Navigon which is a "for purchase" GPS navigator by Garmin. Well worth it, they have a North American version and a Europe version. It allows you to download the specific countries that you need (now or later) and gives excellent directions. It's really great having the directions (in what they call 3D) with text to speech on a tablet instead of a smartphone or GPS unit! I have gotten a car holder for mine, rather big I know..... but I can actually see my directions without my reading glasses which I can't wear for driving!

EDIT: In the Google Navigation app, if you go to Help, it does say you need to have a data connection so I purchased my GPS app because my tablet is wifi only....It also appears to load the maps through the data as you go from what it says about data cost.
From the help:
Data and cost

Google Maps for mobile requires an active data connection at all times. Before you download it, we recommend that you contact your mobile service provider to find out more about the data plans it offers. An unlimited data plan is strongly recommended as continuous Maps usage will use a lot of data.
Note: While Google Maps for mobile is unsupported for use with a WiFi (wireless network) connection alone, it may work for certain devices. We strongly encourage having a mobile data plan with your mobile service provider in order to use Google Maps on your phone.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-02-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hmmm - strange. Google Maps doesn't seem to have the "Make Available Offline" option that's described both in the helpful video above and in the online help. I wonder if I need to download a different version of the app?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm - strange. Google Maps doesn't seem to have the "Make Available Offline" option that's described both in the helpful video above and in the online help. I wonder if I need to download a different version of the app?
You need v6.9.0
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You need v6.9.0
Brilliant - thanks, that was the problem. I had 6.3.0; upgrading to 6.9.0 has given me the "Offline" option. Very much appreciate the help - thanks!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Brilliant - thanks, that was the problem. I had 6.3.0; upgrading to 6.9.0 has given me the "Offline" option. Very much appreciate the help - thanks!
YW. The upgrade happened last Friday, but slipped in under the radar because of all the talk about Nexus 7. Also, Google Earth for Android has been updated to 7.0.0 and added some new features: Tour Guide and 3D Imagery.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
For those without a GPS chip in their device, you can buy a GPS dongle that usually comes loaded with maps which can be upgraded and it goes into a USB port and provides you the full standalone GPS experience.

I used one for years on a laptop and then a net-book to get a large screen of the map.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote