Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
picardo
picardo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle DX
Why does my Kindle crash with PDF files?

With most pdf files, I have no trouble displaying and flipping through them, but there are some pdfs that have caused my Kindle DX to stall and crash on certain pages. The common characteristic of these pages is that they all have an image of some kind. But Kindle is able to display other images without any difficulty.

What is so special about these images that they cause it such difficulty? And how can I render my pdfs so that I can read them on my Kindle without crashing it?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
AFAIK all eInk viewers crashes showing some PDFs. I have a DR1000 and crashes too. The crash possibility increases with PDF complexity. Normally a PDF with only one or two images on each page works fine, but it is normal that PDF with columns, layers, and so will crash in most of the ebook readers. They aren't prepared to handle complex PDF and have little memory for that tasks.

And being tested a Papyre (Hanlin), a Boox, a iLiad, a DR1000, a Cyboox Gen2, and a Kindle 2 and DX the last ones are the less crash with PDF, being followed by DR1000 and Boox.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
picardo
picardo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle DX
I think I fixed it by reducing file size using Adobe Acrobat.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardo View Post
I think I fixed it by reducing file size using Adobe Acrobat.
But if you want to be legal, you need to purchase Acrobat, that is not cheaper. And if the PDF is write protected you need to know the password or break it via some not so legal programs...
Old 08-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
hyper
hyper began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Seems that it relates to the version of pdf.
My kindle dxg crashes everytime when I try to read a pdf file. Most of my pdfs are of pdf 1.6 or older, that's the only one that is pdf 1.7. It was created by Acrobat 8.1.
Closed Thread

Tags
crash, kindle dx 2, pdf