Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Good luck in Schaumburg, they're just as busy. I'd try Orland (that's where I got my first iPhone years ago, they had plenty and no crowd). I ordered camera kit online and got it within a week, free shipping even. Save yourself the frustration.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Good luck in Schaumburg, they're just as busy.
I bought the iPad at the Old Orchard mall, where they still had plenty in while Michigan Ave was sold out. Will try again for the Kit (which they were out of stock too the last time I checked).

Quote:
I ordered camera kit online and got it within a week, free shipping even. Save yourself the frustration.
It now says shipping 2-3 weeks for the kit. For me the alternative is to wait till the iPad comes out in Germany (end of this month) and order the kit from there.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Mine said 2-3 weeks too, I still got it in a week.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Just came across this article. So it is possible if you can supply some extra power. Just ugly. I wonder how long before someone sells a powered Y adapter.
I'm probably barking up the wrong tree (i.e. not really sure what you need) but this Y USB power cable was touted for iPhones which need more power than comes through a car power jack. You get two car power jacks, and send the power from both through this adapter into your device. (I bought one, but haven't tried it.)

http://www.amazon.com/USB-Power-Adap...440501&sr=8-10
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Received my camera kit today. Tested importing pics from the SD from my camera (obviously that worked) and tried plugging in my WD Passport 500gb through USB (as scottjl already reported, the Passport lights up but the iPad doesn't read it, probably due to power constraints).

Now charging my 160gb 6G iPod classic so I can test if the iPad can copy videos from it. This would be awesome since I keep 100gb of anime episodes on my iPod. I will report the results later.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books

hate to be the bearer of bad news but it won't work.. apple doesn't support iDevice to iDevice transfers.. piracy and all that..
Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
hate to be the bearer of bad news but it won't work.. apple doesn't support iDevice to iDevice transfers.. piracy and all that..
I was hoping it would work since you said the iPhone to iPad photo/video transfer worked. I don't see why apple would treat photos/videos on the iPod any different, in terms of piracy. I don't even see the big deal about allowing iDevice to iDevice transfers... drm should prevent you from sharing anything that you shouldn't be allowed to.

Anyway, the test was a failure... iPod to iPad connectivity through the camera connection kit does not work. The iPad comes up with the error "this USB device is not supported". What a shame, my iPod is full of videos and makes for the perfect self-powered portable harddrive. I would love to take my iPod on a trip and watch its videos on the iPad. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for a cheap large capacity thumb drive, or just be careful which videos I load onto the iPad before going on a trip (I have the 64gb version, it fits a good amount of video).
Old 05-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #23
scottjl
Reader of Books

well i think you misunderstood what i said about the video transfer. i can transfer over videos i take with the iphone's camera, not movies I've loaded into the iphone to view. and while it is possible to load up ripped movies this way you have to "trick" the ipad by putting them in a directory named "DCIM".

basically there is no way to copy music/video over that you didn't take yourself. apple has mentioned this was for copyright protection. just as you can't transfer items off your ipod onto your computer. at least not with apple software, plenty of 3rd party software out there that will do it. easily circumvented protection. yes. shrug.

sorry.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
lilman
Addict

Quote:
well i think you misunderstood what i said about the video transfer. i can transfer over videos i take with the iphone's camera, not movies I've loaded into the iphone to view. and while it is possible to load up ripped movies this way you have to "trick" the ipad by putting them in a directory named "DCIM".
Ah, I misunderstood your iPhone report before, thanks for clearing that up.

I connected to my iPod through iFunbox, created a DCIM folder in the root, copied over one of my already processed for iPod anime episodes, and connected my iPod to the iPad again through the camera connection kit. It worked the same as the iPhone; the Photos app came up and I was able to import the video. Of course any video in the DCIM folder of the iPod cannot be viewed on the iPod, so you are trading iPod space for portable iPad storage space. But at least it works as expected... the iPod can be used as a portable self-powered external video holder for the iPad.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #25
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Scott, with the camera kit, does the Ipad reduce the file size when you download images. I have noted that when I sync images from my computer to the Ipad, a folder that was say 4gig, becomes around 300mb.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #26
scottjl
Reader of Books

no. the ipad loads in full files.. even .raw images. can't display them but it stores them for you to transfer over to your computer later. would be completely useless if apple resized them all.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 AM   #27
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Excelent, thank you for that Scott. I have ordered the camera kit and was a bit concerned aftenseeing what happened when I synced swome images.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
When I attached the SD card reader a warning box pops up saying, "The attached USB device is not supported."

The SD card is a 512mb with a few jpg images in the root folder. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #29
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
When I attached the SD card reader a warning box pops up saying, "The attached USB device is not supported."

The SD card is a 512mb with a few jpg images in the root folder. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Try creating a DCIM folder in the root of the SD card, then move the images into it.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #30
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Try creating a DCIM folder in the root of the SD card, then move the images into it.
That did it! Thank you.
How come the small manual that came with the device doesn't tell you that?
Or is that something everyone knows except a dummy like me?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote