Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #106
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
To answer some of the questions about upcoming features, Steve P. posted this to the Fictionwise's Yahoo group yesterday. Specifically, someone had requested the option of turning off full justification.
Quote:
Don't fear, we are adding many new features. A new release should come
out sometime next week (assuming we don't have unexpected trouble). That
one will not have justification optoins but it will have several other
options people have been asking for (tap option to turn page, reverse
video mode, access to web content other than fw or er, some sorting
options on the shelf, etc.)

There will be releases every 2 to 3 weeks until we get the bulk of the
features in, so you will not have too long to wait.

-Steve P.
For those confused, "fw or er" refers to Fictionwise and eReader.

I hope this is of some use to people here.

Jack

Last edited by Jack B Nimble; 07-17-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #107
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
To answer some of the questions about upcoming features, Steve P. posted this to the Fictionwise's Yahoo group yesterday. Specifically, someone had requested the option of turning off full justification.

For those confused, "fw or er" refers to Fictionwise and eReader.

I hope this is of some use to people here.

Jack
Actually all of the standard releases already have many of the features, including justification, that are being added. Hopefully any new ones will be back ported to the standard release.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 AM   #108
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
Hi everyone. I've not been ereading for quite a while now... that is until I've installed eReader for iPhone. I'm impressed not only because I can access both eReader.com and Fictionwise.com collections but also because I've always liked how the iPhone renders text.

I can't seem to download from eReader but had no problems at Fictionwise. (Incidentally, there are a lot of free multiformat classics at Fictionwise which I also got).

Oh, it takes a while to get used to "flicking" pages ... and my fingers kept on subconsciously looking for a scrollwheel (I didn't realize the Clie had such a lasting impression).

Anyway, I've got a couple of books downloaded and careful about downloading too much (this is after all, on an iPhone Classic (4GB), unlocked, pwnaged).

Lastly, I found a Kindle and iPhone comparison shot at Flickr, if you'd like to see.
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #109
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Another view on eReader on the iPhone

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008...one/index.html
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #110
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
not a good ereader

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008...one/index.html

Apparently he contends that the iphone is not a good ereader because of too many other things that you can do on the phone? That seems silly to me.

I am planning on getting a iphone when my current cell phone dies, which probably won't be for another year.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #111
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
One nice thing about the iPhone is that it renders italics and bold properly. I have come from Windows Mobile devices (and MS never really understood typography) where italics tended to be simulated (to save device memory) and generally looked awful. I was very pleased when some italics appeared in the book I was reading and it was "proper" italics.

It is great that eReader, BookShelf and Stanza are all being actively developed for the iPhone. As it stands eReader on the iPhone is already much better than it was on my Windows Mobile platform, it loads much faster, and doesn't crash if the device sleeps when eReader is running. I am very pleased so far...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote