Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-22-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur
CapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 4 NT,PW2
Lightbulb Solution: Monochrome PDFs which shows missing charecters

For Kindle Paperwhite 2 and Basic;
I noticed that when i view a pdf which is created using monochrome-scanned images , It doesn't show some characters. Solution is to convert pdf to grayscale format.

But Is it possible to tweak the kindle pdf reader in order to fix this issue?
I think that it should display monochrome images properly, because it is smaller and optimized.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2016_06_23T02_52_35+0300.png
Views:	615
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	149598  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEST-1.pdf (39.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: pdf TEST-Converted to Grayscale.pdf (247.3 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by CapitainDerya; 06-22-2016 at 08:58 PM.
CapitainDerya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you using a factory kindle or did you jailbreak it?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No idea, I don't really read PDFs much.

But you might want to give KOReader a try, if you are jailbroken.
It is a much better PDF reader on general principle.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Some "fast update" eink modes display all grayscale values as white, usehull for "animation". like a mouse cursor for example. Also when stretching or zooming text, then fill in the invisible grayscale by redrawing the last static image with a slow eink update mode.

If your grays are missing (and some antialiased characters migh not contain any pure black pixels), you may be using a no-flash (fast animation) eink update mode.

Then again, it could be a software bug. What app are you using to view these PDF file images?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 PM   #5
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur
CapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I uploaded and updated images above in the first post. I also uploaded some monochrome pdf. If you convert the images embedded to pdf to grayscale , it will not display missing characters

Last edited by CapitainDerya; 06-22-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Advert
Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainDerya View Post
I uploaded and updated images above in the first post. I also uploaded some monochrome pdf. If you convert the images embedded to pdf to grayscale , it will not display missing characters
I just did a screen capture and histogram analysis of that PDF page, and it contains 32 evenly spaced gray value spikes, with low-level scattered pixels of other grayscale values. It is possible that some letters contain an "almost black" but no pure black. I will look deeper...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-22-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:37 PM   #7
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just did a screen capture and histogram analysis of that PDF page, and it contains 32 evenly spaced gray value spikes, with low-level scattered pixels of other grayscale values. It is possible that some letters contain an "almost black" but no pure black. I will look deeper...
You mean, missing characters are not pure 0x00(Black). I will edit via photoshop in order to convert these to the pure black(0x00) and check if it will display correctly
Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
geekmaster

Now this is weird. After viewing the histogram (attached image) I convereted it to 8-bit grayscale so I could view and edit the color palette (also attached below). Although the histogram cleary shows an even distribution of pixels that are predominantly 32 evenly spaced shades of gray, the color palette seems to show only 16 colors, and viewing the histogram again shows no change -- 32 spike like before.

So, is it 16 colors (plus some digitized noise), or is it 32 colors? Confusing. And those missing letters in your image look the same (visually) as all the other letters. You would thik atleast a few pixels would show. And the PDF appears to be backed by no OCR text, so only an image.

Not only do your missing letters make no sense, but I am also confused by the contention between histogram and color palette. Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdfhist.gif
Views:	222
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	149603   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdfpallete.gif
Views:	217
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	149604  
Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur

geekmaster, did you extracted image as bmp or png from pdf? I think that this pdf is embedded with monochrome(1 bit) image
Old 06-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
geekmaster

I reduced the color palette to 32 colors, and the historgram shows the same 32 spikes, but no background noise (flat baseline). Then I reduced it to 16 colors and it had 16 spikes as expected, so the histogram appears to be working and that color palette from the screen capture is just weird. Worse, even though there are only 32 used colors, the new palete after reducing to 32 has 256 shades of gray, not those 16 different colors in that 256 palette attached above.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur

I uploaded extracted image via adobe dc
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TEST-1_page1_image1.bmp (798.4 KB, 225 views)
Old 06-22-2016, 08:56 PM   #12
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainDerya View Post
geekmaster, did you extracted image as bmp or png from pdf? I think that this pdf is embedded with monochrome(1 bit) image
I did GIF to upload, but I extracted 32-bit pixels with a screen capture. Perhaps that was distorted by the PDF viewer which anitialiased while resising to fit my screen. The correct approach would be to digitally rip the image from the PDF file directly, not a screen capture, but this computer has no such tools.

In any case, a 1-bit image is all pure black and pure white -- no gray pixels. It makes no sense that the kindle would arbitrarily decide to erase some blocks of pixels that just just happen to be a complete letter without affecting adjacent letters. It would need contour detection to selectively "lasso" and erase letters like that.

It is a puzzle I do not wish to solve right now -- I had a very rough day...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-22-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #13
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur

I uploaded in the first post, grayscale version of pdf which displays properly
Old 06-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #14
geekmaster

It is strange that the kindle erases some letters in an image embedded in a PDF when not grayscale. That would take smart code to do that, which makes no sense. It is just one big monochrome image. Glad the grayscale works, but that other problem is a puzzle only lab126 or amazon can solve (unless they published the source code that contains this conundrum).
Old 06-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Crazy scaling artifact, perhaps?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote