Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Android
Formating from .pdf TO .pdf? (Explanation below)

Hey everyone. I recently came across some .PDF's without covers on an old disc I have. The thing is, I'd like to add the respective covers via Calibre, but when I search for Metadata and then add the cover, even when formating to .pdf TO .pdf, it's completely off-center and stuff. Is there a way to put the book cover on a 'stripped' book WITH calibre WITHOUT losing quality? Thanks.
Dullahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It's not possible to convert PDF to PDF in Calibre without losing quality because it gets converted to XHTML as an interim stage and Calibre has to do a best guess of how to reconstruct paragraphs (if you've ever tried to do this manually you'll understand the difficulty).

If all you want to do is change the cover then a proper PDF editor would be an easier option and would retain all the formatting. Acrobat Pro is one option but, of course, it's not cheap.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #3
Dullahir
Zealot
Dullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blueDullahir can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. And yes, I do have Acrobat Pro.

But how would I go about finding a book cover that would be big enough to fit a whole page?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
Damn, that's what I was afraid of. And yes, I do have Acrobat Pro.

But how would I go about finding a book cover that would be big enough to fit a whole page?
i use gimp to re-size my graphics.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved to correct subforum.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullahir View Post
There are always the dedicated books sources that Calibre uses. Having said that I often find that google Images is as good a way as any to find a cover .
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might like to try out kiwidude's 'Search the Internet' plugin. One of the many options is to Google images for your currently selected book in the Calibre library window. It's very convenient.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Dullahir
Zealot

You all are indeed very knowledgeable. =) But you're saying to just use Google Images and then download it somewhere, but not convert it, yes?

Thanks to everyone!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Yes. Select your book in the Calibre library window and then Edit Metadata. You can drag-drop your new cover over the old one (or the big plain brown one if you don't have an old one). This won't put the cover into the PDF but it will now be your Calibre cover.

If you did a conversion the new cover would be placed inside the converted book, as page 1. But as mentioned above, converting from a PDF will always degrade it.