Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #1381
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've never had crashes using Pocket articles and I tend to save quite a few of them. If you're willing to share URLs I'd love to see what happens to my device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #1382
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Please, please, please fix the two-finger front-light adjustment lag on the Aura! Firmware 3.12.1 is the last firmware where this feature worked correctly.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #1383
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegeus View Post
I'm afraid the screen is not bright enough to read under direct sun light, like in a beach even with maximum brightness. It requires more polishing; this should not be even alpha software. I'll wait for a similar product from Amazon; if they give me same hardware and qualifications I'll most probably sell this and pass to that after waiting first Kobo to correct the software of this device.
Interesting that you would state the screen is not bright enough to read in direct sunlight such as on a beach. Given that an eInk display is a frontlit reflective display -- the on-board lighting is a front light not a back light -- it suggests that you may never have read outdoors on any eInk device. The brighter the external light, the less you really need the frontlight. This is in contrast to most LCD displays which are backlit transmissive displays and will get washed out in bright light which overpowers the backlighting.

I haven't found the page turns to be slow enough to be annoying but that is a matter of opinion unlike the matter of physics which is the visibility of an eInk display in well lit situations.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #1384
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Interesting that you would state the screen is not bright enough to read in direct sunlight such as on a beach. Given that an eInk display is a frontlit reflective display -- the on-board lighting is a front light not a back light -- it suggests that you may never have read outdoors on any eInk device. The brighter the external light, the less you really need the frontlight. This is in contrast to most LCD displays which are backlit transmissive displays and will get washed out in bright light which overpowers the backlighting.

I haven't found the page turns to be slow enough to be annoying but that is a matter of opinion unlike the matter of physics which is the visibility of an eInk display in well lit situations.

Thats the bit that puzzled me. Why even have the backlight on at all in daylight?
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #1385
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
Thats the bit that puzzled me. Why even have the backlight on at all in daylight?
For me, part of it is I just can't be bothered to turn it off. But, it also changes the contrast. I adjust the light level depending on the available light to what seems to be the best at the time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #1386
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
I found it a rather strange claim which is why I commented on it. I do tend to leave the frontlight on in daylight but more because it doesn't bother me than for the illumination.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #1387
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Will the older Aura H2O have 4.x firmware? Or is it pretty much EOL?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #1388
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Will the older Aura H2O have 4.x firmware? Or is it pretty much EOL?
In all probability the H2O and older devices will eventually get 4.x. People have sideloaded it on H2O and it works. It's just a question of when they decide to release it. They may be waiting a while to give the Aura One an exclusive on Overdrive for a bit.

Last edited by robko; 12-06-2016 at 11:28 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #1389
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From what I've heard I'm not at all sure that OverDrive support will come to the other devices.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #1390
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Ya, the OD functionality is up in the air, but at least the rest of 4.x will likely come so I wouldn't consider the H2O "pretty much EOL".
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #1391
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Swipe forward and you have the bottom 2/3rds doing what you want.
Misses the point. I want to be able to TAP pretty much anywhere on the left or right side, or bottom 2/3rds, to go forward. I indicated in my follow up post that I don't want to have to swipe. Since I rarely page backwards, that's OK to relegate to swiping.

CoolReader lets you customize like this, I know, but I prefer Nickel. MoonReader on Android lets you customize like this. Come on Kobo! Pretty please!
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #1392
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Misses the point. I want to be able to TAP pretty much anywhere on the left or right side, or bottom 2/3rds, to go forward.
Where's the motive for Kobo to invest coding time in implementing this feature that only you seem to want? Their existing selection of zones appears to work for... well, everyone else.

You can't always get what you want. Accept and adapt.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:08 AM   #1393
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Where's the motive for Kobo to invest coding time in implementing this feature that only you seem to want? Their existing selection of zones appears to work for... well, everyone else.

You can't always get what you want. Accept and adapt.
Make that everyone else - 1.

I would also like the feature. And I'll guess that there are more than two of us.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #1394
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Make that everyone else - 1.

I would also like the feature. And I'll guess that there are more than two of us.
But there are not enough who do want this. I don't want this.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:20 AM   #1395
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
My request: uploading highlighted excerpt and annotation to a web service (I would choose Evernote but any other would be fine, even a dedicated Kobo web service).

Requirement : it should work with manually uploaded Epub (I often convert PDF I should study in Epub to read them on the Kobo).
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo