Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Got it. I will let you know the results.

Dale
Thanks! Hope it's going to be a load and save effort.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm attaching Tom Corbett #1 since it does have a ToC and Peter Rabbit does not. It also have varying sizes of illustrations. It is saved as HTML from within Book Designer.
Got it. I will let you know the results.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

trial conversion.

Here are the results.

I just ran it through without any editing. To make a real book I would add meta data and redo the TOC. The links all work in the book but mobipocket will fail to recognize it as a toc.

Metadata means fixing the title, author, genre, description of the book.

Dale
Attached Files
File Type: prc Rockwell Carey_Tom Corbett -01- Stand by for Mars.prc (890.5 KB, 846 views)
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Here are the results.

I just ran it through without any editing. To make a real book I would add meta data and redo the TOC. The links all work in the book but mobipocket will fail to recognize it as a toc.

Metadata means fixing the title, author, genre, description of the book.

Dale
So all you'd need do is redo the ToC, add in the medadata info and paginate right?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So all you'd need do is redo the ToC, add in the medadata info and paginate right?
I have been studying the results. Did you want the pictures at the end of the chapter to actually be at the start of the chapter? If so then the links are wrong.

Did you want the chapters to start on new pages? If so this is not happening.

There is no paginate on MobiPocket. They paginate on the fly which is why they can't tell you how many pages are in the book. They only provide a progress bar based on the file size (I believe). Thus they have some problems with pagination if you jump around and then backup. This is a result of giving the user full control of the font sizes.

The TOC depends on tags to generate and it is usually best just to let it do it. It all depends on what you want the book to look like.

There is also an issue with the cover page. It needs special treatment to appear on the library page on a pc. So far none of the other mobipocket devices support images on the library listing but the pc does so it is likely the rest will get them at some point. It is best to select the coverpage image separately in creator. Thus it should be missing from the html.

The best bet is to remove the cover image and toc from the html and let the creator program build them. Then add the meta data and you are done. When I tried the result on my Palm (A Garmin device) it would display the images but when I tapped down it would reverse the image (black for white) and then a second tap would move to the next page. I am not sure what is causing this but it is likely a mobipocket bug. I'll try this on my Windows Mobile device and see what happens.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-19-2007 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added cover page discussion.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #21
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
According to their own Mobipocket Creator documentation, there is a page-break tag <mbpagebreak/>

Hope this helps.

Derek

Quote:
I have been studying the results. Did you want the pictures at the end of the chapter to actually be at the start of the chapter? If so then the links are wrong.

Did you want the chapters to start on new pages? If so this is not happening.

There is no paginate on MobiPocket. They paginate on the fly which is why they can't tell you how many pages are in the book. They only provide a progress bar based on the file size (I believe). Thus they have some problems with pagination if you jump around and then backup. This is a result of giving the user full control of the font sizes.

The TOC depends on tags to generate and it is usually best just to let it do it. It all depends on what you want the book to look like.

There is also an issue with the cover page. It needs special treatment to appear on the library page on a pc. So far none of the other mobipocket devices support images on the library listing but the pc does so it is likely the rest will get them at some point. It is best to select the coverpage image separately in creator. Thus it should be missing from the html.

The best bet is to remove the cover image and toc from the html and let the creator program build them. Then add the meta data and you are done. When I tried the result on my Palm (A Garmin device) it would display the images but when I tapped down it would reverse the image (black for white) and then a second tap would move to the next page. I am not sure what is causing this but it is likely a mobipocket bug. I'll try this on my Windows Mobile device and see what happens.

Dale
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Can i just make a geeky comment? I know I'm being an html snob, but the html produced by BookDesigner is truly truly horrible. It breaks just about all of the rules for writing valid html (no paragraph tags! no heading tags!).

I don't think this is entirely an issue of snobbery. Future ebook formats will be based on xhtml and while i suspect they will need to work with non-valid xhtml it's got to be an advantage to start with a properly marked-up reference source text as the basis.

OK flame me now.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:37 PM   #23
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
According to their own Mobipocket Creator documentation, there is a page-break tag <mbp:pagebreak/>

Hope this helps.

Derek
In case anyone is confused:-

Code:
<mbp:pagebreak/>
Your version is more fun though.

[quote:DaleDe]The TOC depends on tags to generate and it is usually best just to let it do it. It all depends on what you want the book to look like[/quote]

You would need to go through and replace

Code:
<A name=Page_15></A></DIV><HR>
<SPAN id=title><A name=BdToc_2>
<DIV align=center><FONT color=#001950><B>CHAPTER 2</B></FONT></DIV> </A> 
</SPAN>
with

Code:
<h3>....</h3>
which should be relatively straightforward with a text editor that supports regular expressions.

Last edited by andym; 09-19-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quick Question re: reformatting txt files

I've got a *bunch* of .txt files which have - for some silly reason - *SHORT* lines, maybe 40-45 characters before hitting a hard line-break. Is there a simple executable or a Word 2002 script which will take out all the excess line-breaks within a paragraph. Most of these files have two line-breaks between paragraphs.

I have, on my system Atlantis Word Processor and Word 2002 if anyone has a script for one of those.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Can i just make a geeky comment? I know I'm being an html snob, but the html produced by BookDesigner is truly truly horrible. It breaks just about all of the rules for writing valid html (no paragraph tags! no heading tags!).

I don't think this is entirely an issue of snobbery. Future ebook formats will be based on xhtml and while i suspect they will need to work with non-valid xhtml it's got to be an advantage to start with a properly marked-up reference source text as the basis.

OK flame me now.
I believe you are correct. <DIV> is used a lot without a <p> tag which messes with lots of generation programs. I know I fed the results into
ebook publisher and it had to auto add a bunch of <p> tags.

Dale
Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've got a *bunch* of .txt files which have - for some silly reason - *SHORT* lines, maybe 40-45 characters before hitting a hard line-break. Is there a simple executable or a Word 2002 script which will take out all the excess line-breaks within a paragraph. Most of these files have two line-breaks between paragraphs.

I have, on my system Atlantis Word Processor and Word 2002 if anyone has a script for one of those.

Derek
http://www.simtel.net/product.php%5B...t_page%5D76296
can be used to do this task. This is very common for many text files. The program is called e-Book Tidy.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-19-2007 at 04:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
According to their own Mobipocket Creator documentation, there is a page-break tag <mbpagebreak/>

Hope this helps.

Derek
Yes, I am aware of the break page tag but you don't want to use it on every page thus I didn't think it applied to pagination. You will likely want to use it for chapter boundaries, hence my question to the original poster about chapters and images.

Dale
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #28
andym
Groupie

JSWolf

I hope it's helpful (I'm conscious that the end result is you may decide that producing prc versions is too much hassle!). I've done a quick reformat of your file - so that it should be possible to generate a TOC automatically. Hopefully someone can run it through Mobipocket Creator to see what results it produces.

I have found one weirdness, which is that at least on a PDA with Windows Mobile MBP will only display gifs in html. I don't think this is a problem with prc files.

In the v3 version I replaced some of the pngs with gifs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Rockwell Carey_Tom Corbett -01- Stand by for Mars.zip (1.12 MB, 679 views)

Last edited by andym; 09-19-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
andym
Groupie

Quote:

Derek
You might find it worth getting a text editor (such as e-texteditor that supports regular expressions. These allow you to do very clever search and replace operations - eg select all returns that follow a letter rather than a punctuation mark and delete them (or replace with a space). There's a bit of a learning curve but they offer a very flexible way of dealing with problem texts.

Have a look at the tutorial here.

Last edited by andym; 09-19-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
You might find it worth getting a text editor (such as e-texteditor that supports regular expressions. These allow you to do very clever search and replace operations - eg select all returns that follow a letter rather than a punctuation mark and delete them (or replace with a space). There's a bit of a learning curve but they offer a very flexible way of dealing with problem texts.

Have a look at the tutorial here.
Got a good text editor that doesn't cost & doesn't need cygwin (hate it)?