Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2014, 07:42 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Worst Books I've Read - And Loving it!

You know you love them. In fact, you can't resist them. They're everywhere. In the attic, mouldering. Or stuck in the dark recesses of a hidden drawer in the bathroom. (In fact, you wish you could flush them down the toilet, but then a plumber would have to be called.) Maybe you have one squirreled away in the kitchen cabinet, behind the garlic and mustard.

They call to you like two rodents having sex. In fact the call is so incessant, so wildly cacophonous that you want to clomp down on them with your overly large feet and squash the living daylights out of them.

But they keep coming back! These horrible novels that you can't resist! They're everywhere, like a mad Gerrold sequel to a lost Tribbles episode.

These are books so bad you feel like a witness to a train wreck, while standing nude in a crowd of hundreds of people. They're watching you watch the train wreck, aghast at your nakedness, at your sheer audacity!

You know: Like lines from a famous horror movie about a haunted car: "MY god! The car! It's in the garage!" As opposed to being in the dining room, for example, where all cars are parked.

Some of my favorite authors of horrible books include Richard S. Prather, whose sensibilities mirror the 50's and 60s, and now seem old-fashioned. Like a lustful drunk Uncle in a party of teenagers.

But I love these books!

In fact, some of the worst books ever written are books of mystery and detection - perhaps written by plumbers and sewage engineers? (Not that there's anything wrong those professions!)

Perhaps you have a few choice examples to share, along with some actual words to highlight so that we can laugh together. If we share our disease maybe we can be stronger, like the Borgs.

In the meantime, I'll be searching my complete set of Richard S. Prather for a few choice examples to share.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
MichelleLouring
Owl Lady
MichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenMichelleLouring has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Android Tablet
...Do we have to have finished them? I gave up on the last 3 chapters of this truly terrible fantasy book that turned out to be more like a bizarre Harlequin romance.
I was sooo close to finishing it, but I just couldn't take the male lead angsting or the stupidity of the female lead anymore.

Can't really think of an awful book I have loved... I'll get back to you on that.
MichelleLouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleLouring View Post
...Do we have to have finished them? I gave up on the last 3 chapters of this truly terrible fantasy book that turned out to be more like a bizarre Harlequin romance.
I was sooo close to finishing it, but I just couldn't take the male lead angsting or the stupidity of the female lead anymore.

Can't really think of an awful book I have loved... I'll get back to you on that.

Absolutely not!

Torture can only go so far before death occurs!

A choice excerpt, perhaps?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've got one for you. I read it in my last year challenge reads. I did Alfred Bester a disservice which I will remedy in the future, but look at the cover, come on, look at it! How could I not read that book for the year 1980?

I give you:

Alfred Bester's Golem 100
image from wikipedia Golem 100 on wikipdeia

"Regina and her bee-ladies, bored members of the elite, while away the idle hours by playing at conjuring the Devil - a game which leads to horrifying consequences. Alfred Bester's other novels include "Tiger, Tiger", "Extro" and "The Demolished Man"."

Bee-ladies? I kid you not.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Yeah, that's a cheesy looking cover, alright.

I like Bester's work, but I have yet to read that one.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Golem100 and Extro both have a fairly bad reputation, but I remember reading and liking them many years ago. I can't remember a thing about Golem100, mind you. I'm dubious as to whether anything like that picture appears in the book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Urshurak by the Brothers Hildebrandt and some other guy you never heard of.

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I need to read that. I enjoyed Golem 100, but I went in with expectations to match the experience. I got what I wanted out of it and it was fun. I do want to read The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination at some point.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls and V.C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls and V.C. Andrews's Flowers in the Attic.

Choice quotes?
Old 01-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Matthew Reilly's Scarecrow series. I don't have quotes since mine are pbooks currently on the other side of the world. Couldn't get into his more recent series though.

Not the worst books I've read, but the worst that I've read but still enjoyed.

Last edited by jehane; 01-16-2014 at 03:58 PM.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

From the pen of Robert Leslie Bellem, one of the most entertainingly bad writers ever:

"A girl clerk came toward me. She was young, she had tawny hair, and she owned a carload of oomph. She wore a tailored skirt that outlined her nice, slender hips; and her mannish silk blouse disclosed the outlines of tender young whatchallems, firm and solid. She smiled at me, lifted an eyebrow."

[Murder's Messenger]
Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #13
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Urshurak by the Brothers Hildebrandt and some other guy you never heard of.

You mean that someone else actually read that book? The only reason I bought that was because I really liked the Brothers Hidebrandt. I bought their LOTR calendars for several years.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #14
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
From the pen of Robert Leslie Bellem, one of the most entertainingly bad writers ever:

"A girl clerk came toward me. She was young, she had tawny hair, and she owned a carload of oomph. She wore a tailored skirt that outlined her nice, slender hips; and her mannish silk blouse disclosed the outlines of tender young whatchallems, firm and solid. She smiled at me, lifted an eyebrow."

[Murder's Messenger]

Wow. Just, um...wow. I'm afraid I haven't read anything that quite reaches that level of "entertainingly bad".
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Venus on the Half Shell by Kilgore Trout (Philip Jose farmer)
Kilgore Trout was a fictional author in some of Kurt Vonnegut's books and I was quite excited when I stumbled on this book in a used bookstore way back when. Not that I thought it was a good book but I was a huge fan of both Vonnegut and Farmer and found it amusing.
Quote:

Queen Margaret of the planet Shaltoon let her gown fall to the floor. She was
wearing nothing underneath. "Your travels are over, Space Wanderer," she
whispered, her voice husky with lust. "Seek no more, for you have found. The
answer is in my arms."
"It's a glorious answer, Queen Margaret, God knows," the Space Wanderer replied.
"I am going to accept it gratefully. But I have to tell you that I will have to
be on my way again tomorrow."
"But you have found your answer, you have found your answer!" she cried, and she
forced his head between her fragrant young breasts.
He said something that she did not hear. She thrust him out at arm's length.
"What was that you said?"
"I said, Queen Margaret, that what you offer is an awfully good answer. It just
doesn't happen to be the one I'm primarily looking for."

Helen
I admit to getting
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote