Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
calibre performance settings?

I'm wondering if I can improve calibre performance, though I haven't had any performance problems. Didn't see much discussion in the manual, except for avoiding some problems on Windows. Saw some old threads that confused me more than enlightened me.

These are some calibre settings I've been using, on OS X, quad-core i7.

1. Job Priority = Normal (Behavior).
2. Max simultaneous jobs = 3 (Miscellaneous).
3. Checked, Limit the max simultaneous jobs to the available cores (Miscellaneous).
4. public_smtp_relay_delay = 301. (Tweak, at default; but I don't use email for books).
5. email set to a gmail account (Sharing/email, assume smtp delay can be < 301 without problems?)
6. Exclude calibre libraries from antivirus scans.
7. Don't exclude calibre.app package from antivirus scans (—should I exclude it?)
8. Don't exclude calibre config directory from antivirus scans (—should I exclude it?)

Are there any significant performance settings I missed? Is there anything I can do to maximize calibre performance without sacrificing the ability to run other applications' processes at the same time?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
I'm wondering if I can improve calibre performance, though I haven't had any performance problems. Didn't see much discussion in the manual, except for avoiding some problems on Windows. Saw some old threads that confused me more than enlightened me.

These are some calibre settings I've been using, on OS X, quad-core i7.

1. Job Priority = Normal (Behavior).
2. Max simultaneous jobs = 3 (Miscellaneous).
3. Checked, Limit the max simultaneous jobs to the available cores (Miscellaneous).
4. public_smtp_relay_delay = 301. (Tweak, at default; but I don't use email for books).
5. email set to a gmail account (Sharing/email, assume smtp delay can be < 301 without problems?)
6. Exclude calibre libraries from antivirus scans.
7. Don't exclude calibre.app package from antivirus scans (—should I exclude it?)
8. Don't exclude calibre config directory from antivirus scans (—should I exclude it?)

Are there any significant performance settings I missed? Is there anything I can do to maximize calibre performance without sacrificing the ability to run other applications' processes at the same time?
For a Quad core, 3 jobs souns low (and I thought jobs should be an even number)
The config dir is infrequently read, so exclusion is moot.
Calibre uses the standard temp folder (which I would NOt exclude from scans:Paranoid hat on)
You could exclude Calibre (app) as the download should have been scanned.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
For a Quad core, 3 jobs souns low (and I thought jobs should be an even number)
The config dir is infrequently read, so exclusion is moot.
Calibre uses the standard temp folder (which I would NOt exclude from scans:Paranoid hat on)
You could exclude Calibre (app) as the download should have been scanned.
Thanks. I excluded calibre.app in Applications folder from antivirus scan. Didn't exclude the temp or calibre config directories.

I read this old thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125909. Then successively tested "Max simultaneous conversion/news_download jobs" at 10, 8, 6, 4, and 3 for bulk conversion of the same 15 books from epub to mobi and noticed a small difference in conversion time per book, with quickest time per book at the setting of 6. (With Text Editor and Safari also open.) So I'll set it at 6 for awhile and see what happens.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-05-2012 at 09:31 PM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote