Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
How to change the line spacing of a font

The line spacing on the Cybook is determined by the currently used font's metrics. The following how-to was made by trial-and-error, as I don't have much knowledge about font metrics.
In the examples I'm going to show, I used the free font Bitstream Vera Sans (Vera.ttf).

First download and install FontForge.
Start FontForge and open the font you want to edit. You should see something that looks like this:

Click on "Element" then "Font Info..." or press Ctrl+Shift+F.
Now select "OS/2" on the left side of the Font Information and then the "Metrics" tab on the right side.

Set all numbers to zero in the metrics fields, but don't uncheck the "Is Offset" boxes.

Now comes the tricky part: Depending on the font you'll need to experiment a little to get the line spacing right.
"HHead Ascent Offset" should be a negative number in most cases around -100 to -200 (the lower the value the smaller the line spacing).
"HHead Descent Offset" should be a positive number in most cases around 100 to 200 (the higher the value the smaller the line spacing).
You can make an educated guess by looking at the character size, Vera Sans for example is very large and needs some line spacing. I think HHead Ascent Offset -100 and HHead Descent Offset 100 look nice:

Most Serif fonts have smaller characters and would probably need something like -200 and 200.

Now click OK and select "File" -> "Generate Fonts...". The font type should be TrueType or OpenType (CFF), both formats will work fine on the Cybook.
Click "Save" and ignore any error messages or uncheck "Validate Before Saving" before saving.

Copy the saved font to the Cybook and check if the line spacing looks right now. If not, try other values for "HHead Ascent Offset" and/or "HHead Descent Offset".
When the line spacing is looking good, remember the values for "HHead Ascent Offset" and "HHead Descent Offset" and repeat the procedure described above with the Italic, Bold and Bold-Italic version of the font.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
Boeboe
Boeboe began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Do you have pictures with the result? Or either the adapted font ready for download, so we can see it/test it without having to install this extra software
Boeboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

My camera's batteries are charging right now, so I can't offer screenshots at the moment, but I attached the adapted font. You can compare it to the original font, which I linked to above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BitstreamVeraSans-Cybook.zip (131.6 KB, 1774 views)
Old 03-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
IceHand

Outstanding work and tutorial.

I have just downloaded the font you have put here and it does give me 3 more lines then Verdana in the same eBook and same font size (24 lines with Verdana against 27 with your font!)
Note: the font size being the 3th in size from the 12 we have available in the Cybook.

One more info - this font shows my country diacritics (ã, ç, á, etc…) without a problem.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Thankyou!

I've just switched over to that font and it's clear and readable, and the line spacing is miles better than Verdana. So much so I'm now thinking Verdana is crap and I'm wondering how Bookeen allowed the Cybook to ship without a good font
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
My camera's batteries are charging right now, so I can't offer screenshots at the moment, but I attached the adapted font. You can compare it to the original font, which I linked to above.
LOVE your tutorial. Just one *SMALL* problem. I can't get Cygwin to properly install on my machine (about as plain-vanilla a Windows XP version as one can get with an HP Pavilion (Pentium D)) so that means I can't get FontForge to install, either.

As I prefer Book Antiqua, Berling Antiqua and Georgia, I guess I'll just have to suffer quietly.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
IceHand
Linux User

Derek, you've got mail.

Here are two screenshots showing Book Antiqua before and after I changed the line spacing. I used the values -400 and 400.

EDIT: Made better screenshots, still Book Antiqua before and after though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_line_spacing2_screen01.jpg
Views:	3335
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	11893   Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_line_spacing2_screen02.jpg
Views:	3310
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	11894  

Last edited by IceHand; 03-31-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Derek, you've got mail.

Here are two screenshots showing Book Antiqua before and after I changed the line spacing. I used the values -400 and 400.
Impressive !

It looks MUCH better with this custom font.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree. Looks quite a bit better. Also makes it more readable. Plus I like that you've gone from 17 lines to 21 lines. Less pages per book and less page turns equals more battery life.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to agree. Looks quite a bit better. Also makes it more readable. Plus I like that you've gone from 17 lines to 21 lines. Less pages per book and less page turns equals more battery life.
Yes! I suppose if I could figure out how to make FontCreator do the same thing, I'd have used that, but I found out the hard way that FontCreator has as steep a learning curve as Photoshop - and given that I'm not going to be using it for more than a handful of fonts, it just doesn't make sense to do so. (Except for the niggling little detail that I can't seem to get all the right things to install with Cygwin to make FontForge work on my machine. )

Oh well. Maybe someone can start up a line of freeware fonts optimized for the Cybook and other ereaders.

Derek
Old 03-31-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Is there a way to produce larger fonts in Cybook's Reader via FontForge? The current maximum size is about 24pt, which is not large enough for everyone - see Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points)?.

Like line spacing, this would be better handled by the reader software internally. And adding larger font sizes to the reader is probably easier for Bookeen to do than adding a user-specified line spacing. Even so, I think a double size (say) font would be an interesting demonstration.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Impressive !

It looks MUCH better with this custom font.
I thought it might be harder to read. With the modified font the word spacing can visually be greater than the line spacing and that can lead to mistake in reading. And it looks strange.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Is there a way to produce larger fonts in Cybook's Reader via FontForge? The current maximum size is about 24pt, which is not large enough for everyone - see Does the new CyBook support ultra-large fonts (>72 points)?.

Like line spacing, this would be better handled by the reader software internally. And adding larger font sizes to the reader is probably easier for Bookeen to do than adding a user-specified line spacing. Even so, I think a double size (say) font would be an interesting demonstration.
I imagine one could make a TrueType font that starts with 18pt and goes to 36pt or even 48pt. Someone may have to try that - and as I'm not a font guru, my imagination may well be completely out of sync with how TrueType works.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
An absolutely stupid ,
ridiculous ,
' bad '
question ,
but can one " pinch " fonts from MS Windows , and use them ????
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I imagine one could make a TrueType font that starts with 18pt and goes to 36pt or even 48pt.
TrueType fonts can (always?) render whatever size you want. The trick here is for the Cybook to select 24pt but actually get back 48pt. There are lots of reasons why this might not work, but perhaps there is a way to make it happen.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote