Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Proposed feature

I know current advice is "if you want a feature code it yourself" and I'll probably do that-when I have time in a year or so if I don't lose the note I made. In the meantime, just in case somebody else has more time I thought I'd mention my idea here.

What I want to do is incorporate spellchecker changes into the Undo list. When I'm fixing a bunch of similar problems (like runtogether words) I tend to go too fast & click 'Change Selected Word' before I realize Sigil has split it incorrectly. Since Sigil advances to the next problem I've lost the location of the incorrect fix. Sometimes I can easily find it by searching (so far I always know what I did wrong), sometimes I 'fixed' it to words so common I can't easily find them again. It'd be nice if the change could be undone, even if I had to exit spellchecker to undo it. That would give me a second chance at fixing the problem-and this time I'd get it right.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I know current advice is "if you want a feature code it yourself" and I'll probably do that-when I have time in a year or so if I don't lose the note I made. In the meantime, just in case somebody else has more time I thought I'd mention my idea here.

What I want to do is incorporate spellchecker changes into the Undo list. When I'm fixing a bunch of similar problems (like runtogether words) I tend to go too fast & click 'Change Selected Word' before I realize Sigil has split it incorrectly. Since Sigil advances to the next problem I've lost the location of the incorrect fix. Sometimes I can easily find it by searching (so far I always know what I did wrong), sometimes I 'fixed' it to words so common I can't easily find them again. It'd be nice if the change could be undone, even if I had to exit spellchecker to undo it. That would give me a second chance at fixing the problem-and this time I'd get it right.

OK:

Who wants to tell him/her?

Simply click the UNDO icon. It undoes your change.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
OK:

Who wants to tell him/her?

Simply click the UNDO icon. It undoes your change.

Hitch
@Hitch - my experience is that if I use the spell checker Change selected word button, then the Undo button or ctrl/z does nothing, but if I correct via right click in the codeview window then ctrl/z does it's job.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Hitch - my experience is that if I use the spell checker Change selected word button, then the Undo button or ctrl/z does nothing, but if I correct via right click in the codeview window then ctrl/z does it's job.

BR
(and I needed the undo after a change all selected word)

Luck had it, I do frequent saves (protection in case I mange to one of the Crash triggers) and only lost a few spelling fixes.

Undo (single instance spelling) seems ONLY good in CV
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(and I needed the undo after a change all selected word)

Luck had it, I do frequent saves (protection in case I mange to one of the Crash triggers) and only lost a few spelling fixes.

Undo (single instance spelling) seems ONLY good in CV
Sorry, guys:

Never thought about it; we only work in CodeView here. I've positively forgotten that BV even exists, for all intents and purposes. Mea culpa.

I admit I also don't use "change selected word." However, I do see how that could be quite vexing.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Sorry, guys:

Never thought about it; we only work in CodeView here. I've positively forgotten that BV even exists, for all intents and purposes. Mea culpa.

I admit I also don't use "change selected word." However, I do see how that could be quite vexing.

Hitch
That's reminded me of something that's been rattling around at the back of my mind for a while...

Is there a way to replace the Preview panel with BookView.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
That's reminded me of something that's been rattling around at the back of my mind for a while...

Is there a way to replace the Preview panel with BookView.

BR
What would you do with Book View side-by side with Code View?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
What would you do with Book View side-by side with Code View?
Applying substantive edits, as opposed to doing copy editing - watch the code when doing the former and watch the book when doing the latter.

I have authorised access to pre release academic papers, many of them read more like chick lit or fantasy novels than economic & law dissertations. To make them even half readable I find I have to join fragments into proper sentences, ensure the same concept is 'labelled' with the same terms etc. In other words, to do some of what a developmental editor does. I prefer to do to that work in a WYSIWYG editor.

Is that OK your worship, now try answering my question ?

BR
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Didn't think of that, thanks for explaining. (I apologize if I came across as dismissive. I was merely curious.)

There is no way, sorry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
BR
I keep the preview open on the upper monitor. I mainly use that to set code 'sync point' as I hate the in code insertion of style= as a side effect of almost any combine action if done in BV.

I have a sheaf of 'Join' type Saved searches for case where repetition is frequent
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Didn't think of that, thanks for explaining. (I apologize if I came across as dismissive. I was merely curious.)

There is no way, sorry.
Pity, I had a forlorn hope there might be a back door way. But Sigil does at least have a WSYIWYG mode, my impression is that its 'replacement' won't have it any time soon.

I'll just have to admit to myself that post modernism's form over substance ethos has won the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
... I hate the in code insertion of style= as a side effect of almost any combine action if done in BV.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but they're often easy enough to get rid of later if your dealing with straightforward text. But I suspect I'll get sick of them before long.

There's a lot to be said for getting these documents onto Word (they're in HTML) and doing the bulk of the substantive editing there, and doing layout touch up's in Sigil. Since Kovid did the DOCX Input module its easy to get pretty good XHTML for no frills documents. I'm not effected by issues related to publishing at Amazon etc.

Why can't we have the best of all possible worlds

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-16-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:36 AM   #12
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
But Sigil does at least have a WSYIWYG mode, my impression is that its 'replacement' won't have it any time soon.
How about never? I recall that Kovid has stated that he will not do that, as it will be too complicated and will introduce a lot of issues. We all know Sigil has had them and still has them.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
How about never? I recall that Kovid has stated that he will not do that, as it will be too complicated and will introduce a lot of issues. We all know Sigil has had them and still has them.
Aaah, I always allow for the situation that people might change their minds when the facts change.

Someone said something about shoulders, standing thereon, and seeing far. Just because one persons noble attempt isn't perfect, doesn't mean the other 6 billion+ of us should give up trying and hoping for something better. Imagine where we'd be if we'd given up on steam turbines after Taqi ad-Din's less than satisfactory efforts in the 16th century.

BR