Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #1
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
To me, ereader now is an useless and redundant gadget.

Ever since I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 last year, I bared touched my readers, low resolution, lack of back light and the need to carry an extra device.

I don't get it, why would anyone want to buy a reader just to read books? The only situation I can think of ever needing the reader is if I want to read books under the sunlight or where I won't be able to find plug to charge my phone. Which almost never happen in my life as I am an indoor person.

Seeing the thread of higher resolution and large phablets coming out in 2014, I have come to a conclusion that eReader is so 2011.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
... so don't buy any more of them?

What is the point of putting this post in the Sony forum, exactly?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
All true.... if you are never away from a power source... I have a hd android tablet with a 7" screen... it's nice for reading.. especially where color is important.. but I still use my sony t1.. mainly because it is nice for reading .. will last a week on one charge and I have a 1000 plus books loaded on it and am too damned lazy to move them lol... but if I had a choice to make today I probably wouldn't buy a separate e reader... I can use my iphone if I am really desperate.. I suspect that most e readers will look more like tablets in the future....
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
... so don't buy any more of them?

What is the point of putting this post in the Sony forum, exactly?
To argue? Dunno....

I don't agree with it. There are many valid reasons to have a stand alone reader. It's a specialty item. Some people are happy with the crappy camera that comes with their cellphone. Some people want something better - a specialized device.

That is after all, why there are 31 flavours of ice cream right? We don't all like the same thing!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
walan
Connoisseur
walan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with otherswalan plays well with others

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
One big advantage I see with my ereader is that I wont get disturbed by emails, messages and I don't have any temptation to go check my Facebook or some forums.
Also I have the feeling that my eyes don't become tired even reading for a long time.
The battery is also important to me because I don't need to charge my phone more often as I use it less.
I would say that the ereader is the closest to a real book compared to all other devices. I'm very happy to have one and would buy one again. In fact at the moment I'm considering to buy one for my wife (also I will buy a tablet for her as well).
walan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
The only situation I can think of ever needing the reader is if I want to read books under the sunlight or where I won't be able to find plug to charge my phone. Which almost never happen in my life as I am an indoor person.
Many of us are more mobile that you apparently are. Just about any daylight renders the screen on my cellphone useless, it doesn't even have to be sunlight. Even reading on the L or a train and sitting next to the window makes it near impossible to see the screen at times. So anyone who reads outdoors at all won't find a tablet or phablet or any other backlit device useful at all for reading.

And of course, those of us that are mobile won't have a power source, so the much longer battery life of an ereader makes them invaluable. I barely get a day's usage from my "smart" phone without having to recharge it, while I can go for weeks of daily reading without having to charge my ereader.

I also have no need to carry around a tablet or netbook with me except on rare special occasions when travelling overnight, and even then, it's not carried around with me, it's left for use at night when at the hotel. If I must check email, I can always use my phone, but when I'm out, there's really no need for me to be bothered with any of that, nor do I want the interruptions. They're also larger devices, I prefer the much smaller size of an ereader to carry around with me.

It's all how you use your devices. You're happy with backlit larger heavier power-hungry devices, many of us are not.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-20-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
For me it's battery life. Even though I have to charge the battery in my 600 more frequently than when it was new, it is still far better than the battery life on my wife's iPad. My newer Kobo Mini can go several weeks without recharging, while the iPad has to be recharged daily.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The Galaxy Note has a large screen but I couldn't even begin to imagine reading a book on one.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have a Note 3. I read books on it sometimes. But I use my ereader (kobo aura) much more often. Generally the only time I'd read something on the note is if I just downloaded it, and don't have it on my reader yet (Everything on my reader goes through Calibre).

I like to sit outside in a park to read, and I can't do that with the Note. Also, when I read, I don't want to be disturbed. Having a device that'd surf the web, ping me with emails, chats from friends, anything else, means I'll be tempted to deal with those issues, while on a reader, it's just a book. I don't even connect mine to wifi for that reason.

Battery life is another issue, my Note lasts a day. Maybe a bit more. The reader goes for ages.

Oh, and well, my reader has a light, so it works in any lighting conditions, unlike the Note, which is only really good when out of direct light.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I just don't get it, why do people post "I have ____(insert name of tablet, ereader, etc here) and it's perfect, why would anybody want anything else"?

Everybody's different - different eyes, different uses. You buy what suits your purposes and I'll buy what suits mine.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

yes, the battery is the main issue of fully using my Note 2 as a book reader.

But if I get a reader with backlit, will the light significantly decrease the battery life of the reader?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The light does have some impact on the battery life, but not a huge effect. For example, on my non-lit ereader I could get roughly 4 weeks use, I get roughly 3 weeks on my lighted ereader.

Incidentally, ereaders are frontlit not backlit, which is another reason they are generally more 'easy on the eye' than tablets. Plenty of people are happy enough reading on their tablets though, and don't find eye strain an issue. For the rest of us, eink ereaders are far better for reading, and the superior battery life is just an extra bonus.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
FinancialWar
Banned

The light can be turned off right?

In that case, I'm going to sell off my M92 and sony reader and get a lighted reader.

Which one would you recommend?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The day e-ink quality screens become unavailable is the day I'll stop reading e-books. I guess some people's eyes are more sensitive than others. I cannot read at length on an LCD screen. If something like the amazon aquavista screen becomes available, then we could see the device types merge.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
For me, the first reason to get my Kobo Mini was because for $40, it was much cheaper to take on holiday that rather than risk losing or damaging my $500 iPad or iPhone! From a cost perspective it just makes sense.

I was curious to try the eInk but didn't believe the claims that it was easier on the eyes until I got it and actually started using it. Whereas I can only look at a computer screen for a limited amount of time before feeling eye strain, I can sit and read on my eReader for a far longer time. This now is the main reason I still use (and buy new) eReaders...that and the incredible battery life in comparison to tablets, etc.

And yes, it is perfect for taking and reading out in the sun, where my other iDevices are barely visible in that kind of light.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote