Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #91
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I've really only read Stross' Penguin/Ace-published stuff, but when Tor goes DRM-free and has decent pricing, I think I'll have to try his alternate timeline-switching space opera merchant clan series.
Heh. That's what I'm reading right now. Book Four in good old-fashioned hardcover. Warning. It all goes very slow for most of Book Three. But it rallies.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #92
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Heh. That's what I'm reading right now. Book Four in good old-fashioned hardcover. Warning. It all goes very slow for most of Book Three. But it rallies.

Graham
As I understand it book 1 and 2 was originally one book and book 3 and 4 (and possibly 5) was also origibally one book.
i
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #93
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, what do people recommend from Tor? I tried to have a dig on their website earlier, but just got blog posts and meandering links. I'm probably having a bad search day but I couldn't find a list of authors.

I'll have another try later, but I'd welcome some thoughts on things to buy this summer. Selling DRM-free is to be encouraged.

Graham
Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #94
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
As I understand it book 1 and 2 was originally one book and book 3 and 4 (and possibly 5) was also origibally one book.
i
Ah, that would explain it, thanks. Book Three certainly ends with a bang and runs straight on into Book Four.

Graham
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #95
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Want to link that article? I think there might be a few people here willing to comment on that stupidity.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #96
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm pretty indifferent to DRM, but I know this will make a lot of people happy, and I'm curious to see what, if any, effect this will have on TOR's sales.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #97
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Want to link that article? I think there might be a few people here willing to comment on that stupidity.
Here you go: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/26/te...f=personaltech
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #98
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
DRM-free is nice, but "reasonable price" is more important to me.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #99
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
So, what do people recommend from Tor? I tried to have a dig on their website earlier, but just got blog posts and meandering links. I'm probably having a bad search day but I couldn't find a list of authors.
Here's the list of Tor-published authors (including the Forge and Orb imprints, I think) on the Macmillan site.

My personal favourites whose Tor works I'm particularly looking forward to stocking up with include Steven Brust (first-person-snarker fantasy about an ex-assassin, mostly), Morgan Llywellyn (Celtic-based historicals & historical fantasy), Jo Walton (alternate history, high fantasy), Nancy Kress (consequences of biotechnology & genetic engineering), Brian Stableford (also biotech/gengineering), Sharyn McCrumb (magic realism-type folksong-based tales), Diana L. Paxson (epic fantasy; I prefer her historical-based fantasies, but those are out from another company), Robert J. Sawyer (near-future consequences of technological innovation), Susan Shwartz (historical-based fantasy; but her e-books are out from a different company via Fictionwise), Judith Tarr (historicals & historical-based fantasy, most of her e-books are backlist available from elsewhere), Ian Tregillis (vaguely Lovecraftian WWII spy/supersoldier conspiracy thrillers, a bit like Stross' Laundry series, but darker), Harry Turtledove (alternate history), Joan D. Vinge (far-future multi-planetary society), Lawrence Watt-Evans (high fantasy), Jane Yolen (YA fantasy).

They've also got some stuff from many other good authors whose works from other publishers I've liked whose Tor books I'm willing to give a try.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #100
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Steven Brust and Jo Walton are very high on my list of the best sf and fantasy-authors. The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust and its follow up book Five Hundred Years Later are abolutely briljant.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #101
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
DRM-free is nice, but "reasonable price" is more important to me.
I do not really get that opinion. The books are already reasonably priced. But more importantly. It is like saying "I like that they have stopped torturing children but reasonable price is more important to me".
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #102
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not really get that opinion. The books are already reasonably priced. But more importantly. It is like saying "I like that they have stopped torturing children but reasonable price is more important to me".
I don't see what's hard to get. For some people DRM isn't really a concern, but price is. What you consider reasonably priced doesn't apply to everyone.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #103
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
DRM isn't important to me, except philosophically, because I'm a friend of Alf's. I already have Brust's books on my Sony and my Kindle. I think Tor - and the other BPHs - going DRM-free is a wonderful thing, because not everybody is a friend of Alf, or cares to be.

But I resent paying the full price of a MMPB or more for a license that, taken strictly, means that my husband and I can't share books on our different readers.

maybe, when (if) I can get a full time job in my field again, money won't be quite so important to me. On the other hand, with two kids in college, it probably will be for a long time yet to come.

(on the other hand, I'll gladly pay Baen $15 for the eARC of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance when it comes available - haste the day!. But there are very few authors for whom I'll say that.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #104
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
oh did someone say Vorpatril?

is there a new vorkosigan in the making

beg sorry for OT but I couldn't hold back
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #105
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
oh did someone say Vorpatril?

is there a new vorkosigan in the making

beg sorry for OT but I couldn't hold back
Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, November 2012.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote