Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Dictionary only looks up for English words

Kobo Touch running 1.9.10 FW, set to the French language

Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't found a way to invoke a dictionary other than English.

When I bring up the dictionary, it will only look up a word considering it is English. At the very least, I would expect the dictionary to default to the language the unit is set to, but it really should honour the language tag if it corresponds to an available dictionary, i.e if book is in French, lookup in French dictionary, if in Spanish lookup Spanish dictionary and so forth...

EDIT: I've just updated to 1.9.11 and I see no change, but I've been able top do a few more testings and one thing peculiar that happens is, if I highlight a purely French word (i.e. not on the English dictionary), the search will not only fail, but I get a warning that I should change dictionaries?! I am still to find how to achieve that, but at least it sounds more like a bug than a missing feature...

Last edited by frankieGom; 09-27-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Update to 1.9.11
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Hi,

I just reply to say that you're not alone. I'm also looking for the french dictionnary.

I hope Kobo will fix it soon. the eReader will be available in Germany in october, they'll have to fix it by then.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
jdbertrand
jdbertrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Same here!

I hope Kobo will have this fixed for us French Speaking Canadian.
I just went by my local Best Buy today and tried the Sony 6" eBook Reader with Wi-Fi (PRST1BC).

It didn't have the French Dictionary integrated but could lookup French Words and give me the definition in English. So Sony is halfway there, they can also allow us to search on Wikipedia or Google which is also a plus.

I hope Kobo can at least give us a Dictionary lookup in French.

I just know that now that I have the latest firmware - I can switch to Deutsch for the dictionary.

Hopefully French is not too far off. I read a lot of French books at the university level.
The native language dictionary would be a great addition to the eReader.

Please Kobo hear us out! Et veuillez inclure dans vos produits un dictionnaire francophone!!!

Merci!!
jdbertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
Kobo Touch running 1.9.10 FW, set to the French language

Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't found a way to invoke a dictionary other than English.
Tap the underlined "English" under "Definition". Unfortunately, the only language options for the dictionary are English and German (at least on my Touch running 1.9.14).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Harry_W
Harry_W began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1
It would already be a huge step forward if they opened the Kobo Touch for custom dictionaries. The internal ones are of very poor quality. I would prefer to have the option to install Collins dictionaries to my Kobo Touch even if I have to pay for them.
Harry_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_W View Post
It would already be a huge step forward if they opened the Kobo Touch for custom dictionaries. The internal ones are of very poor quality. I would prefer to have the option to install Collins dictionaries to my Kobo Touch even if I have to pay for them.
That.

I would willingly pay for a custom dictionary. Hopefully this would be possible some day.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the current dictionary.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote