Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #16
History
Enthusiast
History began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It is much cheaper (with much better reading experience) to get a dump phone (~$50) and an e-reader (~$150). Since a dump phone is small (and strong - e.g. do not mind the bottom of your bag) so carrying both around is not too much (at least for me)
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #17
JimmyH
Enthusiast
JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.JimmyH actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O, Droid RazrMaxxHD
I am using a Droid RazrMaxxHD. I am mainly reading Christian reformed books, mostly public domain, so a lot of freebies, or relatively cheap. This is what got me interested in the e-readers to begin with. I have ordered a Kindle Voyage and will be getting that mid November if they ship on schedule.

I find the device I'm reading on now easy to read with, if I'm indoors. I've always been a hard copy guy, and never thought I'd go with digital. OTOH, I didn't get my first cell phone until I was 64 years old, so I'm only just coming into the 21st century.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #18
Paul Miller
Enthusiast
Paul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
My Samsung Galexy s4 works really well as a reader. I didn't buy it to read with, but I've found it works well.
Paul Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The LG, the S4 and the One: A Comparison

If you're concerned about money, you might be interested to know that OnePlus is taking preorders on the One. No more waiting for invitations.

Yesterday, I was able to compare the displays of the One and the LG G3 side by side using the same fonts and graphics (mostly high-res images of Brueghel paintings). While the G3 was the obvious winner, as expected, the One performed surprisingly well. It's also a bigger phone than the Galaxy S4, which I also own, and that seems to make it better for reading. The S4's screen is gorgeously vivid, but I'd choose the One's over it for this application. The G4's Super AMOLED screen reproduces fonts hauntingly well -- they appear to be etched; to have risen into view like decals through water -- but I've experienced more eye strain with it than the One's larger IPS panel.

This is OT, but it matters to me and might to you: a major selling point of the G3 is its ability to play 192k 24-bit audio. With the latest OS update, the One can now do that as well. The S4 cannot.

Also: The G3 and S4 both have removable batteries, but the One does not. If that matters to you, then the One's $300 price difference might not be worth it. The One also lacks an mSD slot, but since its internal memory is 64 GB, I personally don't consider that to be an issue.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-11-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I'm a compulsive reader and I read on my Kindle. But, sometimes I'm stuck and don't have my Kindle. Then I read on my Nexus 5 with the Kindle app. I was really surprised that my old eyes could read on the Nexus 5 but it's not bad at all. Of course, unlike the Kindle, if you're reading outside or in bright sunlight you're out of luck.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2014, 12:52 AM   #21
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My wife has the Samsung S3 and uses it as en ebook reader all the time. I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it is my primary ebook reader. I use it more than my 10" tablet for reading.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #22
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
The Samsung Galaxy S4, S5 and Note 3 all have good screens for reading. I didn't buy the S3 because the screen resolution wasn't high enough for me. I waited until the res was at least as good as that of the iPhone 4, which for Samsung began with the Galaxy S4.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #23
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
My wife has the Samsung S3 and uses it as en ebook reader all the time. I have a Galaxy Note 3 and it is my primary ebook reader. I use it more than my 10" tablet for reading.
Since getting my LG G3, I've used it as my primary ebook reader. It is excellent in that regard.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
I recently bought A ZTE ZMAX that turned out to a pretty good ereader. A couple of things that help the ZMAX along are a BIG battery (3400ma) and navigation buttons that aren't lighted.

Regatds-John

Last edited by Jabby; 10-31-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've been reading a few books on my LG G3 with Mantano more as a test than anything else and it's really doing a pretty good job text really does look great especially if you load a few high quality fonts, even the position of the buttons on the back I find pretty good for turning pages.

If I didn't have my two slightly bigger devices I could really be quite happy using it as my only reader,
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #26
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I've been reading a few books on my LG G3 with Mantano more as a test than anything else and it's really doing a pretty good job text really does look great especially if you load a few high quality fonts, even the position of the buttons on the back I find pretty good for turning pages.

If I didn't have my two slightly bigger devices I could really be quite happy using it as my only reader,
Just curious why you would need high quality fonts? I am using a Note 4, and even the included fonts look great (using the Kindle app, and I chose Droid Serif as font). But really, even the others look great. Great how they display, not how you like them neccesary.

Unlike you, my phone now became my primary ereader. Actually primary go to device for everything. Have not read on my PW since getting the phone, even at home.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Love.Forever.
Monarch Butterfly ...
Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Love.Forever. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 7 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
My Galaxy S4 is alright as a reading device, much prefer the Galaxy tab 3 if I want to read something.
Love.Forever. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love.Forever. View Post
My Galaxy S4 is alright as a reading device, much prefer the Galaxy tab 3 if I want to read something.
I believe size matters. My S4 used to be alright for reading in a pinch, but I would if given the choice always prefer my PW to read due to size. The small jump from 5.0" to 5.7" must have crossed a magic invisible barrier for me then going to the Note4. For me it is just right - big enough, but still very easy to hold one handed.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:06 AM   #29
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Just curious why you would need high quality fonts? I am using a Note 4, and even the included fonts look great (using the Kindle app, and I chose Droid Serif as font). But really, even the others look great. Great how they display, not how you like them neccesary.

Unlike you, my phone now became my primary ereader. Actually primary go to device for everything. Have not read on my PW since getting the phone, even at home.
Just a personal thing I like to have more options available and every now again change the theme so I tend to dump the best fonts I can find into the Mantano fonts folder things like Garamond and Helvetica.

What I'm really saying though is the fonts look really good on that QHD screen so I think it's worth having the best ones.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote