Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Reset Conversion Options?

Is it possible to reset the conversion options for individual books in Calibre 0.62? I found a post on this forum which said I'd need to delete the .py files in the "Application Data" folder, but when I looked at those none of them listed individual ebooks. The problem I'm having is that once converted, the options used for that ebook remain, and I can't seem to reset them to the defaults. Even deleting the format in question (epub) doesn't seem to work.
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not easily, the individual conversion settings are stored in the database.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Djehuty
Connoisseur

Drat... OK, at least I know what I have to do once I get the settings worked out. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
He's right about this, I usually convert my ebooks to epub, and when a specific ebook already has been converted, the changes to the Default Conversion preferences are ignored in later conversions of this ebook.
There should be a button somewhere in the ebook metadata window (or conversion panel) that would reset the ebook-specific conversion preferences (so the default values are used next time)

Please ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open ze ticket.
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
done !

I use this opportunity to thank you again, along with the other Calibre developpers !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #7
Djehuty
Connoisseur

Holy cats... I didn't think this was a big enough issue to request a change -- thank you VERY much for doing it anyway!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It is always worth requesting a change for something that you think could be improved. That way it gets put on the developers radar so they can decide if/when they should do something about it. Lots of little changes can often improve the general usability a lot.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah the way it works is if a feature seems useful to me or if a lot of people/very passionate person can convince me of its utility it gets implemented. This of course has caveats with respect to the difficulty of implementing the feature and how tedious it is as well
Old 11-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Punksmurf
Punksmurf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Is there a way to reset the (in this case) conversion options on a set of books?

A little background:

I just imported a whole lot of books, converted them and discovered the conversion settings were wrong. I played around a bit and found a conversion setting I reasonably liked, set it as default and... it effected none of the books as the earlier conversion setting was stored.

Now I can walk trough the list again and convert each book separately but, frankly speaking, that's a huge PITA. Bulk conversion ain't there for nothing .

Am I missing something or shall I have to go over and find out how to open un ticket nouveau?

Having said that, many compliments on Calibre. I especially respect and like all the conversion possibilities.
Punksmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can reset conversion settings to default on an individual basis, not in bulk.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
Punksmurf

Ok, that's clear, thanks. Would be nice though .

In the mean time I managed to reset the options by tampering with the database itself. Note that this is a hack, and probably not recommended. I happen to know my way with this stuff reasonably well and am prepared to take risks (though minimal, since I've made a backup). Needless to say, use this at your own risk .

First (optional but recommended), go to your library folder and backup metadata.db.
Then download SQL Database Browser, or any equivalent tool of your liking.

Use this tool to open metadata.db in your library folder, click the execute SQL tab and enter the following query: DELETE FROM conversion_options; (tech: TRUNCATE TABLE is not supported in SQLite) and press Execute query. This removes ALL saved conversion settings and thus resets them to default for each and every book and every format. If you know your way around Calibre's database structure and SQL you can of course alter this query to affect only specific books or formats.

Lastly, save the file and close the program.

If you open Calibre the saved conversion settings should have disappeared. In case anything goes wrong just put back the backup you (should) have made and you'll be fine - though you're still stuck with the conversion settings .

Good luck.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #13
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can reset conversion settings to default on an individual basis, not in bulk.
Kovid,

I noticed that v0.6.24 now has an option to ignore previously-saved settings when doing a bulk conversion. If this option is checked, will the new bulk options replace the saved ones, or will the old ones be preserved but not used?
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

they will be replaced
Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Punksmurf

Thanks for this new feature !