Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
jesjaspers
jesjaspers began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader PRS 505
Good practices question

Hi folks, I'm a relatively new ebook person with a Sony 505 with an extra memory card. I bought it to take travelling and plan to load up with reading material before I go. I'm currently using Calibre after recommendations here and find it better than the Sony supplied eLibrary software. I need take both work related reading and my own reading with me. I've lots on the card at the moment and the device is very slow to boot up with the card in. Can you tell me what is the best way to set the reader up in your experience? Do folks read an ebook from the card, or do you only really read an ebook from the main device? Also does anyone have expereince of how this device handles under humid conditions? Appreciate your thoughts on this.
jesjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a memory card in mine right now, but honestly I don't keep much on it. I have about 170 books (in either LRF or ePub format) that I've loaded on the main memory of the reader. I do have a couple of PDF's on the memory card--reference books that I access once in awhile. With this configuration, I notice that my reader will take about a minute and a half when I first unplug it from the reader which I don't consider too bad. I don't plug it in to the computer that often (only about once every two weeks or so).

Hope you enjoy your reader as much as I'm enjoying mine!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I keep the books that are on my to be read list on the device, while I keep books that I've already read, or books that I plan to read at some point in the future on the card. That way, for most cases, I can have a fast boot, but if there is a book that I want to re-read or need to look at, I can just put the card in. It very rare that I need the card, but it's good to have it available if I get in the mood to read an old favorite and am not at home.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
lcbannon
Enthusiast
lcbannon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I am finding that it works well to keep books I am or want to read on the 505, my music on an sd card and I leave books on calibre and tag them with SENT TO READER or DONE (when done reading) depending on what I have done.
lcbannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My Sony is slow to boot up with 1,000 songs on a memory card and varying between 150-180 books in the main memory. 2-3 minutes (which feels like an eternity,) to go from fully off to reading. I'm planning on removing many of the books and taking out the music card. I really don't listen to the music when I read, and have no real need for all those books to be kept in memory. I can always put them back into the reader when I'm ready for them. If that doesn't speed up the device I'll go back to this current configuration, but I'm expecting the speed increase to be dramatic.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
jesjaspers
jesjaspers began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader PRS 505
Tx for all the response posts. Appreciated.
jesjaspers is offline   Reply With Quote