Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM   #151
tolaat
tolaat began at the beginning.

Device: none
drm azw

mobidedrm gives me trouble with an azw
I renamed the azw to prc and used mobidedrm on it with the kindle's pid
(it starts with a digit and ends with *LT)
the script says
struct error:unpack requires a string of lentgth 8
Am I doing it wrong?
tolaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #152
tolaat
tolaat began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle drm

disregard my previous post, worked wonderfully, thans
tolaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #153
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I wonder if there is a need to update the script for Kindle International's serial number (B003...) or will the current version work. Igorsk?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #154
A Moving Turtle
E pur si muove.
A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I wonder if there is a need to update the script for Kindle International's serial number (B003...) or will the current version work. Igorsk?
Hello--I ran into this problem with my new Kindle 2. The current version of kindlepid will not recognize serial #s that start with B003. It is a very simple fix, though. The instructions from SirBruce in post 8 from this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48867 apply. You just need to edit the script in Wordpad (obviously referring to "B003" rather than "B004") and save it.

Last edited by A Moving Turtle; 10-31-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Edited to refer to kindlepid, not kindlefix (and because I type too fast).
A Moving Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #155
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moving Turtle View Post
Hello--I ran into this problem with my new Kindle 2. The current version of kindlefix will not recognize serial #s that start with B003. It is a very simple fix, though. The instructions from SirBruce in post 8 from this thread apply: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48867 apply. You just need to edit the script in Wordpad (obviously referring to "B003" rather than "B004") and save it.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I was aware that there was a adjustment for the DX but I didn't know it would work for the Kindle International. You just helped a lot of people (Sir Bruce as well)! Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 06:00 PM   #156
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Hello--I ran into this problem with my new Kindle 2. The current version of kindlepid will not recognize serial #s that start with B003. It is a very simple fix, though. The instructions from SirBruce in post 8 from this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48867 apply. You just need to edit the script in Wordpad (obviously referring to "B003" rather than "B004") and save it.
What a great way to start your membership! Welcome to MobilRead. How about going to our "introduce yourself" thread, starting a new thread and allowing us all to welcome you properly?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #157
A Moving Turtle
E pur si muove.
A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.A Moving Turtle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
What a great way to start your membership! Welcome to MobilRead. How about going to our "introduce yourself" thread, starting a new thread and allowing us all to welcome you properly?
Thanks for the welcome, I'll go do that. I will say that lurking these forums had a lot to do with my Kindle purchase--there's a ton of great info (and content for the various platforms) here. Daffy4u, your "stealth" link was super helpful as well.
A Moving Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #158
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
DRM is a serious problem for the ebook industry. Average device lifespan is about two years. Average DRM-with-format life span is probably about the same if you look at the history - lit, mobi, epub, etc.

Consumers may not be throwing a fit yet because they just bought their new device, but all those files you bought from Sony in LRX will have to be converted. Same with any mobi files you bought, to ePub, when Amazon switches over. And they will.

I can only imagine that we will be completely ignored when we start buying new devices. "So what, you switched to a Sony. Too bad! Your Amazon library is lost."

What really needs to happen is a test case against the DMCA for this issue. Someone needs to publish a book only in Mobi format with DRM, have a willing stranger break it for use on a different device, and file charges against them. Then take it all the way up. Just need some people with time and money on their hands, and a good lawyer.

The DMCA is a broken law, and just about everybody knows it. It needs to get fixed or killed.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #159
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Daffy4u, your "stealth" link was super helpful as well.

"Stealth" is my middle name. Glad it was helpful.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #160
pgdavies
pgdavies began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolaat View Post
mobidedrm gives me trouble with an azw
I renamed the azw to prc and used mobidedrm on it with the kindle's pid
(it starts with a digit and ends with *LT)
the script says
struct error:unpack requires a string of lentgth 8
Am I doing it wrong?
I am having trouble getting kindlepid.py to work. I downloaded python and at the command prompt typed:
kindlepid.py mykindleserialnumber

i got back

Traceback ( File "<interactive input>", line 1
kindlepid.py XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have been trying get this to work for 2 weeks. Will someone please help? Thanks.

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-30-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: s/n edited out
pgdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #161
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgdavies View Post
I am having trouble getting kindlepid.py to work. I downloaded python and at the command prompt typed:
kindlepid.py mykindleserialnumber

i got back

Traceback ( File "<interactive input>", line 1
kindlepid.py XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I have been trying get this to work for 2 weeks. Will someone please help? Thanks.
This is probably because you're trying to launch "kindlepid.py serno" from within an interactive python session.

Open a command prompt (a DOS command prompt, you should see "C:\whatever>" or something similar as the prompt, not ">>>" which is the python interpreter's prompt). Change to the directory where you script is. Then run the script.

Last edited by pilotbob; 01-30-2010 at 11:39 AM.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #162
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

You both may want to remove that serial number from your posts lest someone use it for evil.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #163
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
@pgdavies: I sent you a PM with the PID for your serial... though like Daffy4u said, remove the serial from your post
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote