Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
jetBook on CES

Interesting review and jetBook pictures from CES:
http://ebooktest.blogspot.com/2009/0...ge-course.html

Full ePub support will signal the jetBook is embracing the future. It will indicate to people a jetBook purchase is a safe investment. It will also make the jetBook an instant alternative to the Sony Reader.

Last edited by Kris777; 02-14-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the link ! it's great to see epub gaining ground on more devices, and that article gives some compelling reasons why it should.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The jetbook really is a nice device. It has alot of features that Sony 505 and CyBook don't have given the folder support and ability to enter text with T9.

They do need to allow you to install your own dictionaries though. At this time you are stuck with the ones installed. Then again, they install some translation dictionaries in addition to defining dicts. ALso, supporting more than one at a time like only the CyBook currently does would be a bonus.

For $200 that Fry's has been selling it for it is certainly a good option, espesially for someone that takes it on the road alot.

Of course you have to be willing to remove DRM and do some conversions to read most recent mainstream books. But, if they get a good ePUB viewer that won't be a problem. I'm sure as time goes by to ePUB convertors will get better and better (see calibre).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i would love to see a jetbook in person, myself. i don't think anybody has one over here though, not that i've seen anyway.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would love to see a jetbook in person, myself. i don't think anybody has one over here though, not that i've seen anyway.

I know that jetbook reader available on http://www.lingvo.de/ website.
This company located in Berlin, Germany or it can be purchased from http://www.apoloxxi.com (Spanish company). I visited CES last week and saw jetBook booth with 4 color units available for testing. They compared jetBook with ink screen units and jetBook worked much faster when users clicked on page down button. It will be nice to see FBreader support in new models.
Advert
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I know that jetbook reader available on http://www.lingvo.de/ website.
This company located in Berlin, Germany or it can be purchased from http://www.apoloxxi.com (Spanish company). I visited CES last week and saw jetBook booth with 4 color units available for testing. They compared jetBook with ink screen units and jetBook worked much faster when users clicked on page down button. It will be nice to see FBreader support in new models.
yes jetbook is using an lcd screen i believe, like the eb1150 ; they are much speedier than e-ink, i think this is one reason that eb1150 users are much more enthusiastic about the sony 700 than earlier models (700 is much faster than previous generation). i think i would still prefer e-ink but since the jetbook screen is not backlit it could be quite a decent alternative, particularly if it supports epub.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The biggest problem with the Jetbook (IMHO) is that they've decided to go for a 5" screen. which to me is too small. 6" is the smallest it should be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The biggest problem with the Jetbook (IMHO) is that they've decided to go for a 5" screen. which to me is too small. 6" is the smallest it should be.
that's a problem for *you* because you want a larger screen ; i like the idea of a 5" screen for portability. i'm quite interested in seeing a device that size. it's not a "problem" with jetbook. different people have different needs. 6" might be too big for some people.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
yes jetbook is using an lcd screen i believe, like the eb1150 ; they are much speedier than e-ink
TFT screen is different, it looks the same as e-ink display but works much faster. The problem that not everybody knows what TFT screen means and when people test it they understand that quality the same as e-ink.
Toshiba produced this screen for Japanese electronic dictionaries for Japanese market and quality of the screen is very good.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
that's a problem for *you* because you want a larger screen ; i like the idea of a 5" screen for portability. i'm quite interested in seeing a device that size. it's not a "problem" with jetbook. different people have different needs. 6" might be too big for some people.
I like 5" screen size too and it is one of the reason why I purchased jetBook instead of Sony 505
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #11
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
TFT screen is different, it looks the same as e-ink display but works much faster. The problem that not everybody knows what TFT screen means and when people test it they understand that quality the same as e-ink.
Toshiba produced this screen for Japanese electronic dictionaries for Japanese market and quality of the screen is very good.
I am not sure I would say it looks the same as e-ink; it is very sharp, but it has a slightly different screen coloration.. a little darker, maybe browner than e-ink. That being said, it is very, very readable. I think from a readability perspective, the Jetbook's LCD doesn't really give anything up to the e-ink screens. Its batteries don't last quite as long; but they are still good for several days reading at a stretch.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, devices always have to compromise. If the Jetbook had a 6" screen it probably would be too large to fit in the front pocket of my jeans.

In any case, a 5" is not that much smaller than a 6" inch. I find I get a reasonable amount of text on a page. Of course it helps if you like fairly small type .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I am not sure I would say it looks the same as e-ink; it is very sharp, but it has a slightly different screen coloration.. a little darker, maybe browner than e-ink. That being said, it is very, very readable. I think from a readability perspective, the Jetbook's LCD doesn't really give anything up to the e-ink screens. Its batteries don't last quite as long; but they are still good for several days reading at a stretch.

--
Bill
I agree about screen coloration but it depends on the room illumination.
Did you try to set the smalest font size - 12 ? When you do it it's very good opportunity to see the quality of the screen. The problem that many people have zero knowledge about TFT screen that is not so popular in US market.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
Kris777
Banned

One more jetBook review:
http://www.articlesbase.com/gadgets-...ok-704481.html
A feature that makes the Ectaco Jetbook stand out among the rest is its great built in file manager. Compared to the Amazon Kindle and the Sony e-book reader, the Jetbook has a great file manager that allows you to manage, delete and organize your e-book files. Browsing though thousands of files on this little device is also a breeze.