Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #301
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I sent Amazon feedback about the collections problem for those of us with more than one Kindle and they replied right away with a non-boilerplate reply asking that I call them. I did and the woman I talked to suggested that I delete the collections in my various Kindles and add new ones, using a different name on each device. I did and I put my books back in the new collections and now everything is back to normal.

I don't keep a lot of books on my various Kindles so this was pretty easy for me. But even if I did I'd have done it. It would have just been a lot more work.

Barry
I tried that but that creates another set of problems, I do not want the collections from every device on every device.

I semi-understand where they are trying to go with this but they are not there yet. The collections should only be updated for the collections which the book(s) are in that are actually on the device. The remaining collections should be store on the cloud just like the books are. But they are not even syncing them up when the collections has the same name. For example I have 3 devices with collections and on my pw I have 3 different versions of the "Fantasy Series" collection, all of them with a different number of books in them, I am going to assume they have different numbers because it is based on the number of books of that collection that was on that device. Though that still doesn't make 100% of sense since they all have the missing books of the cloud in the collection.

@Simaru: While I can respect your opinion, you really need to keep it to yourself, you do not have the experience with the advanced uses of collections to offer critical advice. I can also assume that yes Amazon has designed the collections feature to work with their system, however their system is not the only one that users use, and yes I can respect that they want to make it easier to use their system, thus discouraging users from shopping elsewhere. However, crippling their users could cost them those sales of their products, so they might want to rethink that and at least give back the minimal abilities we had prior to this update. But I can even tolerate them not adding this back if they could just fix the collections feature with their books.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #302
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Mine were remembered in the collections.json file on older kindles, and I do not remember what the file was on the pw1 but I never lost any my collections when deregistering a device and I occasionally did it once ever couple of months.
Wait, so you're saying the collections were never deleted at all? On my Touch it deletes all collections then reloads them from the cloud, upon registering. It keeps the collections even while deregistering, but registering deletes all collections then looks to the cloud for collections, which apparently does not include sideloaded data.

You know, I've been thinking... I wonder if you could forge the books' asin to match Amazon's on sideloaded books (instead of the big long UUID-like identifier they usually use, I believe) could you trick Amazon into saving the sideloaded books as if they were official books?

I know the Cloud will save books you don't own in the collections, because if I switch to my sisters' account, I can maintain my collections there too, for the Alf'ed books on my Kindle, although it doesn't make any difference since the Amazon'ed books also stay on my Kindle, but whatever.

The point is, Amazon will collect any "official" book even if the account doesn't own a copy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #303
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I sent Amazon feedback about the collections problem for those of us with more than one Kindle and they replied right away with a non-boilerplate reply asking that I call them. I did and the woman I talked to suggested that I delete the collections in my various Kindles and add new ones, using a different name on each device. I did and I put my books back in the new collections and now everything is back to normal.

I don't keep a lot of books on my various Kindles so this was pretty easy for me. But even if I did I'd have done it. It would have just been a lot more work.

Barry
I too sent in another feedback forum, explaining the problems I have been having with the new update. Giving a full detail in the difficulty of using it. And I do not want to read about how it was designed to work with only their books, because I have forced myself to remove my side loaded books and only have a very small subset of my Amazon books on their while trying to clean up collections. A process I have been working on for two weeks now. It is taking me forever to fix the collections for over 3500 books, and before you state again your spiel about collectors Simaru, I am a reader first and a collector second, and I just finished reading my 219th book of 2013. When you are reading in the same league as me, then you can tell me about how the device that Amazon advertises can hold over 1400 books are not designed for "collectors".

I apologize if that comes off as snarky but I am frustrated and not in the mood to read about what a product is designed to do and how well it works for your 35 books. This reader wants her ereader to be able to handle and organize the library that I should be allowed to carry with me...
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #304
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Wait, so you're saying the collections were never deleted at all? On my Touch it deletes all collections then reloads them from the cloud, upon registering. It keeps the collections even while deregistering, but registering deletes all collections then looks to the cloud for collections, which apparently does not include sideloaded data.
Yes it does that but then it brings them back in triplicate. And no sideloaded books are in their collections.

Quote:
You know, I've been thinking... I wonder if you could forge the books' asin to match Amazon's on sideloaded books (instead of the big long UUID-like identifier they usually use, I believe) could you trick Amazon into saving the sideloaded books as if they were official books?
No that doesn't work, they are already fixed so that their covers show in kindle for pc, since they are not in my MYK Amazon doesn't save their collections.

Quote:
I know the Cloud will save books you don't own in the collections, because if I switch to my sisters' account, I can maintain my collections there too, for the Alf'ed books on my Kindle, although it doesn't make any difference since the Amazon'ed books also stay on my Kindle, but whatever.
The point is, Amazon will collect any "official" book even if the account doesn't own a copy.[/QUOTE]

Explain this to me, are these documents you have uploaded to the cloud with the send to feature?? How do you get this to work??
Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #305
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes it does that but then it brings them back in triplicate. And no sideloaded books are in their collections.

No that doesn't work, they are already fixed so that their covers show in kindle for pc, since they are not in my MYK Amazon doesn't save their collections.

The point is, Amazon will collect any "official" book even if the account doesn't own a copy.

Explain this to me, are these documents you have uploaded to the cloud with the send to feature?? How do you get this to work??
If I have a book in MYK on my account, and it is loaded onto my book (some by downloading, some by calibre-alfing but they look the same), and then I SWITCH accounts to my sister's account, then create collections with those books which are NOT in her MYK, and deregister then reregister to her account, books which are not in MYK but came from amazon will be restored into collections, based on the cloud info for her account.

Amazon is apparently saving that data for an Amazon book into Cloud Collections, even though that account does NOT own the book in MYK.
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #306
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
wow, mine updated today and it was a mess. Like others said, it created a bunch of collections on my Kindle that I never made myself...and most of them were empty of books. I don't know where that stuff came from. For example, I bought all the Wheel of Time books from Amazon. My Kindle showed the following collections which I never created:

Wheel
wheel of time
Wheel of time

Really?!! Luckily it only took me 5 minutes or so to remove everything and just re-download the 5 or 6 books I had on there before the update.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #307
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
If I have a book in MYK on my account, and it is loaded onto my book (some by downloading, some by calibre-alfing but they look the same), and then I SWITCH accounts to my sister's account, then create collections with those books which are NOT in her MYK, and deregister then reregister to her account, books which are not in MYK but came from amazon will be restored into collections, based on the cloud info for her account.

Amazon is apparently saving that data for an Amazon book into Cloud Collections, even though that account does NOT own the book in MYK.
Thanks for explaining, I will have to look into them to see if they have the same ASIN as what is on the Amazon page. Of course this will probably be another long,drawn out process of fixing, but at least there is a solution. Too bad Calibre uses the UDID instead of the ASIN in the field... This is probably why their collections are maintained because they do not have the ASIN in them as Amazon expects.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #308
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Thanks for explaining, I will have to look into them to see if they have the same ASIN as what is on the Amazon page. Of course this will probably be another long,drawn out process of fixing, but at least there is a solution. Too bad Calibre uses the UDID instead of the ASIN in the field... This is probably why their collections are maintained because they do not have the ASIN in them as Amazon expects.
You could try giving it the ASIN identifier in calibre and see if that works. If you already have the amazon identifier, you could use metadata search and replace.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #309
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
No, not even addressed. These new collections is a pain in my a$$, the non Amazon books will lose their collections if you deregister and then reregister the device. If you have more than one device you could end up with duplicates of the same collection name, but all the books will not be in each collection. If slows down your device if you leave wifi on and if you turn it off then you have to constantly deal with the connect option when adjusting collections. Your books which are not on the device show up in the collections which makes navigating for something to read more cumbersome than it used to be.

I could go on but I think you get the gist of my frustrations with this update.
Got it. I did a speed-read and misinterpreted the post. That'll teach me.

Amazon really mucked it up this time.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #310
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
You could try giving it the ASIN identifier in calibre and see if that works. If you already have the amazon identifier, you could use metadata search and replace.
What do you mean metadaa search and replace? I have the asin in all of my files but I thought they had to be in the book when it is converted?? Is there a way to get the asin recognized by Amazon without converting the file in Calibre? It seems my ASIN is overwritten if the file is converted. I've run into this problem when converting from mobi to azw3.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #311
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No me and JSWolf in the last two posts were discussing the Touch and PW1. It is fully within our rights and the charter of MobileRead to get off-topic, and I will fight to the death for my right to say so!
Actually, I was meaning every Kindle from the Touch on up to the PW2 (if the PW2 has not yet been infected with 5.4.2).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:58 AM   #312
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
What do you mean metadaa search and replace? I have the asin in all of my files but I thought they had to be in the book when it is converted?? Is there a way to get the asin recognized by Amazon without converting the file in Calibre? It seems my ASIN is overwritten if the file is converted. I've run into this problem when converting from mobi to azw3.
On searching around the Launchpad.net bug tracker and Mobileread, I have discovered Kovid doesn't like the idea of putting ASIN into a MOBI/AZW3 because it makes the book screw around with Amazon's server data and you end up with a book that potentially hates you.

We will have to use mobi2mobi, or else finally write that plugin several people threatened to make which allows calibre to write the ASIN instead of the UUID. Might be worth it to pluginize this if it can solve the now-dreaded Kindle Collections problem.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #313
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
On searching around the Launchpad.net bug tracker and Mobileread, I have discovered Kovid doesn't like the idea of putting ASIN into a MOBI/AZW3 because it makes the book screw around with Amazon's server data and you end up with a book that potentially hates you.

We will have to use mobi2mobi, or else finally write that plugin several people threatened to make which allows calibre to write the ASIN instead of the UUID. Might be worth it to pluginize this if it can solve the now-dreaded Kindle Collections problem.
I answered in the other post but yes it would be great if it was pluginized . That would be really great, does anyone know how to do that? Or more importantly, anyone who knows how, who is willing to do it??

EDIT: Ok, I found the mobi2mobigui and I will play with this to see if it fixes the issues for me, guess I am going back to mobi files from azw3 files because I need the collections to work. I do not know what the reasoning is to use azw3 files over mobi, I've forgotten why I switched. I do not know what benefits the k8 has, but since I do not know it must not be that important to me.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 12-05-2013 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Adding Info
Old 12-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #314
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
KF8 supports richer formatting, such as embedded fonts, which Mobi does not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM   #315
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Properly directed to Amazon

Quote:
@Simaru: While I can respect your opinion, you really need to keep it to yourself, you do not have the experience with the advanced uses of collections to offer critical advice. I can also assume that yes Amazon has designed the collections feature to work with their system, however their system is not the only one that users use, and yes I can respect that they want to make it easier to use their system, thus discouraging users from shopping elsewhere. However, crippling their users could cost them those sales of their products, so they might want to rethink that and at least give back the minimal abilities we had prior to this update. But I can even tolerate them not adding this back if they could just fix the collections feature with their books.
Your problems with the Amazon Collection software are properly directed to Amazon as a feedback, not to me. I am NOT Amazon.

So far as I am concerned, the Amazon Collection software meets my particular needs and that is really all I have to worry about.

I enjoyed all the features of the 5.4.2 update and look forward to the next update.

It is possible that the average Amazon customer is more like me than the dedicated Calibre users and that is why Amazon has not focused on Calibre needs. I have never used Calibre or Apprentice Alf. Aren't there specialized forums here and at other locations for users of those software packages which can better answer questions and solve problems than readers and posters here?

In the same manner I stopped ripping MP3 songs for the last 5 years and simply buy all my MP3 songs from Amazon. There may be a few folks who still strip MP3 songs from CD's but their numbers are shrinking.

The same with movies. Some folks strip them from DVD's consuming lots of time doing so. I just stream them from Netflix and get a few movies on Netflix DVD's and then return them.

Some folks like me just like to read eBooks, listen to music and watch movies and simply never use specialized software to break copy protection and engage in activities not sanctioned by Amazon or Netflix.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote