Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
How do I fix an illegal character error ITMS-9000 with iBooks Producer?

Hi. I've created an epub using Indesign CS5.5. The epub validates correctly. I have tried uploading it to iBooks with iTunes producer. And I am receiving these error messages for each html page:

Code:
ERROR ITMS-9000: "Filename.epub: Invalid URL in Nav file My book 05 21st Oct 2012-1.html#toc_marker-1 : Illegal character in path at index 3: HTG_iPad_Mini_05_21st_Oct_2012-1.html#toc_marker-1" at Book (applepackagename)
Now I found a blog post on Pigs, Gourds & Wikis which explains the error is because iBooks doesn't allow spaces in file names.

So I opened the toc.ncx file in Notepad +. I change all the file names, like the one listed above, so all the blank spaces I changed to underscores_ .
However when I tried to reupload the file I'm still getting errors. I thought I'd finished but I haven't. Please, any ideas how I can fix this?
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Did you change the names of the actual files in your .zip/.epub as well, when you changed the references?
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Kratos
Connoisseur

At first I didn't. But now I have changed the actual name of the html files and the references to them in the toc.ncx. Now I am getting an error with the epub validator

Code:
ERROR: E:\zzzzzzzz  F23 use to edit\F28Hyphen.epub/OEBPS/toc.ncx(2753): 'OEBPS/My-book-05-21st-Oct-2012-457.html': referenced resource exists, but not declared in the OPF file
Now I've opened the OPF to take a look. Near the top of the doc I see a list of references that look like this:

Code:
<item id="My-book-05-21st-Oct-2012-381" href="My%20book%2005%2021st%20Oct%202012-381.html" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>

and further down loads of these
Code:
<itemref idref="My-book-05-21st-Oct-2012-334"/>
So it seems like the revised name is declared in the OPF but the validator is saying it isn't. So I don't know what it is I should be changing.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Kratos
Connoisseur

I have found a workaround to the ITMS-9000 problem with the help of deep searching with Ms Google.

I opened my epub in Sigil, I then saved it as a new epub. I unzipped the epub to have a look and it made some changes. In the ncx it replaced spaces in file names with %20. It also reordered the contents of the epub. So inside there is content.opf, toc.ncx, a text folder, images folder, and styles folder. Whilst Sigil arranges the content of the epub to a different way Im not complaining as I have uploaded it with iTunes Producer and haven't had any error messages from Apple yet. I hope this helps anybody else who this drives mental.

But if anybody does know how I could have fixed my epub without using Sigil then I'd be happy to know as I tried multiple combinations of using %20 and underscores/ hyphens in the ncx file and renaming the html files and editing the opf file references.

But am happy now.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You want to make sure none of your filenames have spaces. They can cause untold problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert