Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #841
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
There's all kinds of alternatives to iTunes side loading. Dropbox, email, web links, etc. Though I agree, OPDS catalog support would be awesome. But that would likely run afoul of Apple's App Store policies for ebook apps, as OPDS feeds could include "Buy" links, and it would be really hard for us to "filter" those out from other types of web links.
-M
There is already several apps in the Appstore that support OPDS catalogs (Megareader, Shubook, Stanza, etc.) This argument doesn't hold water
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #842
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
You might want to try the free aHomeIcon app from the Apple app store on your iPad. The process has several steps but it's not that hard to do. Copy the URL you want to use, select the URL button in the aHomeIcon app (on the 2d page), it will ask if you want to use the URL from the clipboard, and then creates a webapp that you add to your home screen (this is the step that's a little tricky since you do this twice, once in the app and once in Safari). The app give you the ability change the icon and title (on the 1st page) before you do the add-to step. There are a couple of video tutorials in the app if you need help. Still playing around with it but it looks good for the simple needs I have.

I believe there are Android apps that can create a home screen widget to launch a URL but I've not used Android in several months so I'm not up-to-date on the choices.
The aHomeIcon app works great at setting up the app on my home screen. thanks:
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #843
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
There's all kinds of alternatives to iTunes side loading. Dropbox, email, web links, etc. Though I agree, OPDS catalog support would be awesome. But that would likely run afoul of Apple's App Store policies for ebook apps, as OPDS feeds could include "Buy" links, and it would be really hard for us to "filter" those out from other types of web links.
-M
How can that be?

Megareader, stanza and several others have been approved by the Apple store, and they all have the feature of adding custom catalogs.

Please consider adding this feature, but if you do it, do it right and make it background downloads. Some of the others, (Megareader notably) only download one book at a time from a catalog.

It should really be like Stanza, where multiple books download in the background while you continue to browse/read.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #844
OldRacer
OldRacer began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Micah, thanks for "Collections." That is a big improvement to the app for anyone who has a fairly large number of books loaded.

Two small things, however:

1) In the "Library" list please let me know what collection(s) each book is in. I have quite a few manuals (camera, airplane, etc.) and there is no easy way AFIK for me to tell whether they are in the proper collection or in any collection at all. If I have 50+ books on my library list and have forgotten to put one of them into the appropriate collection it is as good as lost.

2) The "Collections" list is ordered according to when I added the collection, oldest to newest. This is not very helpful. I would like to put "Library" at the bottom and sort the rest of the list alphabetically but I can't figure out how to change the order. Please add this feature or let me know where it is hidden.

Thanks again. Great app.
OldRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #845
tintin42
tintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetintin42 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura, ipad air, iphone 5
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing, but I myself have run across a few epubs that have large margins applied in the HTML/CSS formatting - and it is really, really annoying for sure. When you go into the formatting tab in Bluefire Reader, and turn "Use Publisher Formatting" to "off" we try to set the Body Margins to zero. That works for many EPUB's, but the problem is, some EPUB's force margins in various non-standard ways including the use of custom CSS Selectors. With the rendering engine that we use, we can't simply "strip" all formatting from an EPUB, (I wouldn't want to even if we could) we can only over-ride the values applied to "known/standard" CSS Selectors in EPUB files.

If you run into any non-DRM epubs that have that problem, and happen to understand EPUB markup, I'd love to know what markup they are using to set those margins (or post the StyleSheet here). When we know about problematic markup, we can fix it, but we don't have a way to "fix" non-standard markup that we don't know about.
I had a look at an ePub which was not readable due to the wide margins. There were three places that affected this:

stylesheet.css
Code:
div.booksection
	{
		page-break-before: always;
		margin-top:0.5em;
		margin-bottom:0.5em;
		margin-left:0.5em;
		margin-right:0.5em;
	}
div.section 
	{
		margin-top:1.0em;
		margin-bottom:0.5em;
	}
p
	{
		text-align:left;
		line-height:1.2em;
		text-indent:1em;
		margin-top:.1em;
		margin-bottom:.1em;
	}
Setting margins in booksection to 0 helped partially. Lowering the ones in paragraph destroyed some formatting, so no go there.

In the <head> section of each file one finds a reference:
Code:
<link href="../Misc/page-template.xpgt" rel="stylesheet" type="application/adobe-page-template+xml" />
Checking out the /Misc/page-template.xpgt file the relevant tag was:
Code:
  <fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column">
	<fo:region-body margin-bottom="0.5em" margin-top="0.5em" margin-left="0.5em" margin-right="1.3em"/>
  </fo:simple-page-master>
When settings these to 0 as well the book displayed just fine in BR
tintin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #846
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
How can that be?

Megareader, stanza and several others have been approved by the Apple store, and they all have the feature of adding custom catalogs.

Please consider adding this feature, but if you do it, do it right and make it background downloads. Some of the others, (Megareader notably) only download one book at a time from a catalog.

It should really be like Stanza, where multiple books download in the background while you continue to browse/read.

Art
Perhaps we are being overly cautious. In any case, we will re-consider that feature request. Though know that we've got a very long feature list in the hopper.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #847
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tintin42 thanks for the detailed info.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #848
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRacer View Post
Micah, thanks for "Collections." That is a big improvement to the app for anyone who has a fairly large number of books loaded.

Two small things, however:

1) In the "Library" list please let me know what collection(s) each book is in. I have quite a few manuals (camera, airplane, etc.) and there is no easy way AFIK for me to tell whether they are in the proper collection or in any collection at all. If I have 50+ books on my library list and have forgotten to put one of them into the appropriate collection it is as good as lost.

2) The "Collections" list is ordered according to when I added the collection, oldest to newest. This is not very helpful. I would like to put "Library" at the bottom and sort the rest of the list alphabetically but I can't figure out how to change the order. Please add this feature or let me know where it is hidden.

Thanks again. Great app.
Thanks for the kind words and the detailed suggestions.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #849
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

OK, we finally we able to get a new release on iTunes App Store. Version 1.9.1 went live today and includes the following enhancements.
1. Improved management of large libraries
2. Cleaner display of cover images
3. Improved text selection on iOS6 devices
4. “Back” button for easier navigation back from footnotes and other internal links
5. Fixed a bug that could cause the app to hang on jailbroken devices
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #850
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Thanks for the work on the app!
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #851
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
OK, we finally we able to get a new release on iTunes App Store. Version 1.9.1 went live today and includes the following enhancements.
1. Improved management of large libraries
2. Cleaner display of cover images
4. “Back” button for easier navigation back from footnotes and other internal links
5. Fixed a bug that could cause the app to hang on jailbroken devices
Hello Micah, so have you decided at last not to provide OPDS catalog support?

I would appreciate if you could make a definite yes/no statement so I can decide wether to stick with Bluefire or move on to Marvin.

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #852
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
I'm still on iOS 5 on this iPad 3, but text selection is still a huge struggle. It has put me off using Bluefire Reader in the past, and today's update has not improved the issue. Selecting text is slow and jerky, and after I let go of the screen, the selection marker is typically in some other place than I wanted it to be and than what was indicated by the zoom view.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #853
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I'm still on iOS 5 on this iPad 3, but text selection is still a huge struggle. It has put me off using Bluefire Reader in the past, and today's update has not improved the issue. Selecting text is slow and jerky, and after I let go of the screen, the selection marker is typically in some other place than I wanted it to be and than what was indicated by the zoom view.
Works for me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #854
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Not here, no matter what book I try. Seems to be better on the iPhone and worse on the iPad.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #855
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Not here, no matter what book I try. Seems to be better on the iPhone and worse on the iPad.
I tested Bluefire's highlighting on my iPad 1 before posting that all is well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote