Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #31
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Oh please, the Dixie Chicks only got "censored" because the country stations didn't want to lose listeners.

Bruce Springsteen & Bon Jovi pretty much say the same things, yet the demographics of rock radio is different than country. Ditto for Green Day and Rage Against the Machine on "Modern Rock" stations.

Stations tailor their music to their audience.

OTOH, I didn't hear many complaints about some people boycotting Ted Nugent's music for his recent comments. Funny how it only goes one way...
If a consumer boycotts the Dixie Chicks or Ted Nugent because of their political views, thats their right. If a government or corporation does it, thats plain wrong. One is freedom of choice. The other is denying that freedom based upon on one's own preferences. I would never support a radio station banning Nugent. Let the listeners change the channel if they don't like it.

Didya mention Rage Against the Machine? From Wikipedia,
Quote:
Following the September 11 attacks on New York and The Pentagon, radio stations circulated a list of songs that were deemed inappropriate for broadcast during the time of national mourning following the attacks. A small list was initially generated by the Clear Channel office on Thursday, September 13, 2001,[34] though individual program directors added many of their own songs. A list containing about 150 songs was soon published on the Internet. Some critics[who?] suggested that Clear Channel's political preferences played a part in the list.[35] A number of songs were apparently placed on the list because they had specific words such as "plane", "fly", "burn," and "falling" in their titles. Clear Channel denies that this was a list of banned songs, claiming it was a list of titles that should be played only after great thought. Also WOFX, Cincinnati, owned by Clear Channel at the time continued to play songs that were on the alleged list, even though radio headquarters was in Cincinnati at the time.[36] Songs on the list included Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'", Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" and the entire Rage Against the Machine discography.
With corporations like that, who needs government censorship?
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #32
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Out of those mentioned, Green Day is the only one worth listening to
Silly simian, rock is for humans!
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #33
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The word is discernment.
Are you sure? I think the other word on the page beginning with "D" is more appropriate myself.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #34
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
If a consumer boycotts the Dixie Chicks or Ted Nugent because of their political views, thats their right. If a government or corporation does it, thats plain wrong. One is freedom of choice. The other is denying that freedom based upon on one's own preferences. I would never support a radio station banning Nugent. Let the listeners change the channel if they don't like it.
+ 1 from me. But discussion can be healthy and informative, for example I've learned that people listen to Ted Nugent.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post

Didya mention Rage Against the Machine? From Wikipedia,

With corporations like that, who needs government censorship?
The corporate distinction has no baring on the issue. The 'public airwaves' matters only inasmuch as the licensing requirements associated with that bandwidth. The FCC has a decidedly hands-off policy regarding content. As well it should, because forcing a station to air that which they choose not to is no better than forcing them not to air something they want to; it is a form of censorship in and of itself.

As an aside, when a radio station plays the Dixie Chicks, then they become the consumer of the music; they have to pay the Dixie Chicks every time they play one of their songs.

Your retain the option to boycott Clear Channel, they retain the option to boycott Dixie Chicks.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #36
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinste View Post
I agree with those who are saying that you should fill the niche and team up with other erotic authors. At the end of the day, people will go where they can find what they want to read - if they want to read glittery vanilla romance, they'll go to ... what did you say that website was called, All Romance Books? And if they want some hardcore erotica, more and more will turn to your website if you really work on your bases, and get out there contacting erotica authors and publishers, promoting it on twitter on the likes.

If anything, you shouldn't get angry about this - you should see it as a business opportunity. This is giving you the perfect chance to start up your own ebookstore!
The main problem with this frequently put forward argument, is that one can't simply do that. E-Commerce providers, including Amazon, Google, and Paypal, won't allow sellers to use their service to sell such items. Not because the subject matter is a higher risk, but simply because of the content.

So you end up having to go with one of the "high risk item" providers, who care less about the content, but charge fees that make it virtually unprofitable.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #37
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But Amazon, Google, and Paypal are not monopolies. Nothing prevents you or I from starting our own e-commerce site and selling certain e-books directly if we make agreements with the publisher (or author for self-published works). That's what filling an e-book niche means today.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #38
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Again, except that you then have to build your entire payment processing ability yourself, which ads a lot of work and cost to something like this, and is still no guarantee. You still have to worry about specific payment clearinghouses not wanting this type of content (I can think of some I've dealt with in the past who would reject it out of hand, or charge significantly higher rates for anything even close to "adult" content).

Unless you can guarantee a high volume, you're not going to make it work.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #39
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
Again, except that you then have to build your entire payment processing ability yourself, which ads a lot of work and cost to something like this, and is still no guarantee. You still have to worry about specific payment clearinghouses not wanting this type of content (I can think of some I've dealt with in the past who would reject it out of hand, or charge significantly higher rates for anything even close to "adult" content).

Unless you can guarantee a high volume, you're not going to make it work.
So? That's capitalism and the free market at work.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #40
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
+ 1 from me. But discussion can be healthy and informative, for example I've learned that people listen to Ted Nugent.
His music or his opinions?
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
jalandar, you are thinking this is more difficult than it really is.

There are a metric crap-ton of credit card processing services out there. I signed up for such a service for my own business a couple of years ago. No muss no fuss and fairly minimal cost. Most of them don't care what it is you're billing for as long as it legal.

High volume is simply not a requirement for e-commerce these days. You actually pay more upfront to run a high-volume e-business (more transactions, more server space) than a nichy low-volume biz.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #42
jalandar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
jalandar, you are thinking this is more difficult than it really is.

There are a metric crap-ton of credit card processing services out there. I signed up for such a service for my own business a couple of years ago. No muss no fuss and fairly minimal cost. Most of them don't care what it is you're billing for as long as it legal.

High volume is simply not a requirement for e-commerce these days. You actually pay more upfront to run a high-volume e-business (more transactions, more server space) than a nichy low-volume biz.
Now go try and get such an account when your primary product is adult entertainment items such as erotic books.

I am not thinking it is more difficult than it is, I know how difficult it is, as I've been involved in it.

When you got your account, I will bet in your contract there was a clause about use restrictions. And I will also gamble that you had to tell them what type of business/products you were selling in your application. And if you just say something different to get the account, and they discover it as a material omission, you can lose your merchant account, and end up a blacklist that makes it nearly impossible to get one again for years.

It's simply not that simple.

That's why I firmly believe that corporations such as paypal, which provide a service, should only be permitted to invoke restrictions that pertain to actual restrictions of legality, or that are materially relevant to their business (then they would be forced to say that the transactions themselves are risky because of fraud, and back that up, otherwise all the legal content).
Old 05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #43
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
as far as that goes i tend to agree. they are only facilitating the transfer of funds between two parties in a legal transaction. that should be the end of their involvement. they shouldnt even know what the payment is for in particular
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #44
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
OTOH, I didn't hear many complaints about some people boycotting Ted Nugent's music for his recent comments. Funny how it only goes one way...
Right, because he was in such high demand before the "boycott," what with all his recent hits.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
As an aside, when a radio station plays the Dixie Chicks, then they become the consumer of the music; they have to pay the Dixie Chicks every time they play one of their songs.
Radio stations have blanket licenses from the big music publishers. They're paying the same amount whether they play one particular artist or not. They do not individually pay each artist each time they play a song.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all romance ebooks, censorship, erotica