Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2010 MobileRead Book Club Vote
The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster 32 24.43%
Anathem by Neal Stephenson 28 21.37%
Under the Dome by Stephen King 29 22.14%
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan 20 15.27%
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge 15 11.45%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #121
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'd like to see that information discussed in the The Machine Stops thread. I'd like to know exactly what he meant by the "heavens of H.G. Wells." (I assume he was referring to Well's love of technology.) I'd also like to know why did he dedicated his story collection to Hermes. I can understand why he didn't choose Prometheus, but why Hermes?
I think it's probably quicker if you just get the whole introduction It adds some context to the story. But we'd better stop now, or else have BOb start a discussion thread right away I think you should ask the question again, when we do get around to discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forster01.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	387.7 KB
ID:	43055   Click image for larger version

Name:	forster02.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	43056  

Last edited by Ea; 01-10-2010 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #122
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Based on that it seem to mean, H.G.Wells. Utopian societies.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #123
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Okay, done with that one. What's next?

Do you mean Stephen King's "Under The Dome"?

Isn't that supposed to be a HORRRRROOOR novel?

Isn't this one about SCARY MONSTERS WHO ARE HUMAN BEINGS???!!!

Such AUDACITY, sir!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #124
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Do you mean Stephen King's "Under The Dome"?

Isn't that supposed to be a HORRRRROOOR novel?

Isn't this one about SCARY MONSTERS WHO ARE HUMAN BEINGS???!!!

Such AUDACITY, sir!

Don
Maybe as the next one on my to read list. I'm reading Pillars of the Earth at the moment while I'm waiting on the discussion thread for Machine to start.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #125
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
We will start the discussion thread for this book on January 6th.
January 6th of what year?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #126
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
January 6th of what year?
Yea, that's wrong. Let's go with the 24th.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #127
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I think it's probably quicker if you just get the whole introduction It adds some context to the story. But we'd better stop now, or else have BOb start a discussion thread right away I think you should ask the question again, when we do get around to discussion.
Thanks! I don't have the Collected Short Stories, and my copy of the "The Machine Stops" didn't have that introduction.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #128
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who wish to discuss this story, please see this website for possible ideas for developmental discussion (although this site really doesn't cover specifically the work under discussion, but rather other aspects of Forter's writings).

http://www.literaryhistory.com/20thC/Forster.htm

Forster studies concentrates on such aspects as emperialism and colonialism; historigraphy; polyphonic aspects of storytelling, in addition to gender issues, to name only a few. (I'm particularly fascinated by rhetor Kenneth Burke's dramatistic pentad for excavating motive through action and discourse.)

Additionally, there was a TV adaptation of this novelette [it is not a short story] here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060643/

which may be available for purchase somewhere in your area.

Further discussion can be gleaned from here

http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2008...pixars-wall-e/

wherein the author attempts a comparison/contrast on the Pixar film WALL-E.

And finally, a FREE AUDIO BOOK is available from

http://librivox.org/the-machine-stops-by-e-m-forster/

I have not listened to this and can offer no comments as to the audio quality of the production or to the interpretive stanch of the narrator(s).

Hopefully, this information will help jump-start meaningful discussion, to include (as merely one example) a study of Forster's homosexuality and how he might view the technology and ethos of the future.

Happy reading, y'all ! I'll join everyone when we start discussion Stephen King's "Under the Dome."

(Me - I'm back to whipping Zombies and torturing dead cats - and I certainly have my work cut out for me! ACKKKK!!!! )

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-16-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #129
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Discussion thread started...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70021

@Don, could you re-post that last post in the discussion thread perhaps?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #130
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Will do.

Don