Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Reading DRM ePub On PRS505

Hi,

I'm considering buying some books from Books on Board, and notice that they have an option to buy a DRM ePub (DRM eReader). From what I've read, you're able to open DRM'd ePubs on the 505. I've not been able to find a clear answer to my questions, hence my post.

I know that DRM ePubs are typically encrypted using your Credit Card number as the key. My questions are: Does the PRS505 prompt you to enter your CC# when you open the book? If not, how do you open the file to decrypt?

Thanks in advance,
AM
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
DRMed ePub is also known as "Secure Adobe ePub". These are only readable using Adobe Digital Editions, but the PRS-505 includes this software so these are readable "as is" on the Sony. The Sony must, one time only, be "authorized" to your Adobe DE account and this can only be done from a Windows PC. Once that has been done you can download ebooks (e.g. from Books on Board) from either a Windows PC or a Mac using Adobe Digital Editions.

The Sony does not include eReader software, so you can't directly read DRM infested eReader ebooks. However, the DRM can be stripped using ereader2html and the resulting HTML converted for the Sony using Calibre. Note that this may not be legal where to live.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
am_mread
Head Goat

Wallcraft,

Aha!

That answers my question. I'd spent all morning searching the forums and coudn't get a clear picture of how it worked.

Indeed, INFESTED is a good way to describe DRM ePubs...

Thanks much..
AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
I know that DRM ePubs are typically encrypted using your Credit Card number as the key.
No, you're getting confused with eReader format. eReader encrypts with your credit card number, but eReader has no connection with Abode ePub files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
am_mread
Head Goat

Hmmm,

OK, things seem a bit clearer now. It seems I was confusing the eReader (Palm) format listed on Books on Board with ePub.

They (BOB) seem to indicate that DRM eReader is compatible with the Sony Reader (I'm not 100% sure it is though without the conversion). Their FAQ is rather confusing IMHO.. See below:

Oh well...

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bob.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	26382  
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_mread View Post
They (BOB) seem to indicate that DRM eReader is compatible with the Sony Reader
The 3rd column, in red, is "Non-Compatible Devices".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
am_mread
Head Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 3rd column, in red, is "Non-Compatible Devices".
Indeed you're right.. Thanks, I scrolled down and didn't pay attention to the column header... Sometimes I just don't pay attention (maybe my wife is right, but I better not tell her that) LOL...

Thanks man!

DRM indeed is an infestation..