Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Semi-Standalone sshd?

Hi,
I just installed Dillo and the connections scripts, cool.

Has anyone put together a "sshd" package that could be used
to enable ssh connections to the iLiad.

It would be nice to be able start the sshd at will rather
than at just boot time.

Seems like this could facilitate work on the iLiad, even with
the improved mrxvt I find it difficult to quickly type commands...

Thanks,

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Umm... maybe I don't understand what you're asking... if you want to run an ssh server on the iLiad, so you can log on to the iLiad through a terminal, then you just need the "unbrickable" package, which is available in this thread.

The "unbrickable" package installs dropbear, and runs dropbear and wired dhcp networking at iLiad boot time, so you can ssh or sftp to the iLiad easily. Modifying this to simply install dropbear without running at boot time would not be too hard...

Then you can make a few simple scripts to manually turn on/off networking and dropbear... Mine look something like this:

startDropbear.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/dropbear start
stopDropbear.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/dropbear stop
startlan.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ifup eth0
and so on...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
ebookie
Entrepreneur
ebookie began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad v2
Has anyone figured out how to bring up the wireless from a script? The interfaces file describes the eth0 network but if I try to put in the stuff for my home network on wireless it gets confused. I know the information is in the system because I can see my wireless profile and if I try 'test' it brings it up, connects to the server, and reports success.

I'd like to be able to have an icon for bringing up the wireless network and then enabling dropbear so that I can ssh in without connecting to a wired network.

--Chuck
ebookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
grayfox
Connoisseur
grayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't littergrayfox doesn't litter

Device: Razr/iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookie View Post
Has anyone figured out how to bring up the wireless from a script? The interfaces file describes the eth0 network but if I try to put in the stuff for my home network on wireless it gets confused. I know the information is in the system because I can see my wireless profile and if I try 'test' it brings it up, connects to the server, and reports success.

I'd like to be able to have an icon for bringing up the wireless network and then enabling dropbear so that I can ssh in without connecting to a wired network.

--Chuck
Hi Chuck,

I am using the connection scripts that come with dillo. They will use
the selected profile in the iLiad Network Profile page.

Jerry
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookie View Post

--Chuck
The following works on an iLiad with software 2.11:
wireless.sh start <ssid>
where <ssid> is the name of your wireless connection

You can run it from mrxvt or in a script.
If i'm not wrong using
wireless.sh test <ssid>
you can test if the iLiad can find the network you specify.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I don't want ssh start with system boot. Can I put dropbear in my memory card?
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 AM   #7
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I don't want ssh start with system boot. Can I put dropbear in my memory card?
In this thread

there are two answers from serge (at the end of page 3) which describe how to remove dropbear from boot. There is also a link to a thread explaining how to write some scripts to start and stop dropbear and LAN.

Last edited by ragdoll; 01-28-2008 at 04:28 AM.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I've been thinking it would be helpful to have a set of "services" scripts that do things like start/stop ssh, samba, eth0, wireless, etc. and show the current status of each and other useful info (running/stopped; IP address).

I think that people have posted what is needed to do all of these and I think it would be helpful to pull them all together in a single "Services" folder so they can easily be started or stopped at will. It should even be possible (I think) to set things up so that we can switch between several states. For example, the choices for ssh could be:

i) Start ssh now and start ssh at boot
i) Stop ssh now, but normally start ssh at boot
ii) Do not normally start ssh at boot. Start ssh manually now
ii) Stop ssh now, and do not start at boot

You then just keep clicking on the ssh entry in the contentlister until you get the setting you want. Each click changes the manifest to update what is shown in the contentlister in the appropriate way and changes the start scripts accordingly.

As I said above information about how to setup start/stop scripts are available from the fora, but they can be hard to find and a set of scripts maintained and post on the wiki might be easier for people.

I've started gathering the notes to start working on this. No promises about when I'll be done though

Last edited by daudi; 01-28-2008 at 06:40 AM. Reason: minor clarification
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
hmm i have a similar thing, which i called 'profiles' bit like phones

ive got so 'profiles' , like home, home-wireless, office, standalone

depending on the profile, it will start the appropriate network, and services (e.g. wired+ssh for home, nothing for standalone)

these scripts where based on some network scripts someone had here...
only issue i have, is the scripts rewrite the manifest file (good!) , but of course if you shutdown the iliad, currently the manifest.xml is not changed, so next time you start its incorrect.

but your idea, makes me think, perhaps i should just make an rc entry which will invoke my last profile...

one thing, i would also need to keep though, is ive made it so that ssh and wired network both start if i dont have my 'normal' cf inserted, this is my unbrick solution

Last edited by thetechnobear; 02-05-2008 at 04:02 PM.
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
I wanted an easy way to control settings for services, e.g. turn ssh or samba on and off. I've set this up for samba and dropbear (ssh). I'm not a great (b)ash fundi so these might not look pretty but they seem to work. There is also an "update status" entry that updates the current status of all services.

All you need to do is unzip it somewhere and look at it using the contentlister. There's nothing to install (i.e. you need to have installed samba and/or ssh as shown elsewhere). The samba entry creates /etc/init.d/samba if it does not already exist.

In the contentlister you will see one entry for updating the current status of all services; one for samba and one for dropbear. Clicking on the samba or dropbear entries cycles them through:

start now and start at boot
start now, but don't start at boot
stop now and start at boot
stop now and don't start at boot
Attached Files
File Type: zip services.zip (4.5 KB, 504 views)

Last edited by daudi; 02-10-2008 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Various edits because I messed it up yesterday
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote