Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you have your K3 in a cover or has it always been used without a cover?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
im telling you guys - this is NOT a crack

its a leak

its as though the the liquid (eink) managed to seep out. if i wiggle it left and right (which ive been doing now) you can see the eink move on different parts of the screen as well

its surprising no one has encountered this yet
It's a cracked screen for sure. eink does not leak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #33
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I think the issue here is that the screen is extremely fragile which is a big downfall for these type of screens. If the screen breaks and you don't even know how it happened then this is a big indicator of a delicate piece of equipment.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I had a k2 that looked like that, except it was only on one fourth of the screen. I called CS and they replaced it next day. It was 6 months old.

There was no sign of visible damage. I don't remember dropping it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #35
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you have your K3 in a cover or has it always been used without a cover?
yes, as i pointed out at first it did have a cover so i cant imagine how there was an impact zone on the screen.

as Harry pointed its definitely the "subscreen" as theres no scratch or anything on the devices screen, thats why i was saying its a leak.

is this problem possible without an "impact" - like if the Kindle gets shaken around too much?
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #36
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
oh, and i did call Amazon support first and then twice to Kindle CS and they still said no...
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
is this problem possible without an "impact" - like if the Kindle gets shaken around too much?
I don't think the "shaken baby syndrome" is very likely, but yes, it wouldn't have to be an "impact". Too much pressure at one small point on the screen would have the same effect. Or weight on top of it while it was in a "twist".
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #38
bobulbous
bobulbous began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook Neo
I smashed my DX screen yesterday.

Does anybody know of a good repair service and costs? Preferably in London.
bobulbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #39
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My wife stepped on my K3 screen and it looked just like the picture in the first post. I called CS and they said it wasn't covered because of user abuse.

I called about a week later, talked to someone else and asked them how much it would cost for them to fix it. They said they couldn't fix it, but they gave me a replacement for $60! I had to send my old one back but they did 2-3 day shipping on the replacement so I was pretty happy.

I would just call them and ask them how much a replacement would be.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobulbous View Post
I smashed my DX screen yesterday.

Does anybody know of a good repair service and costs? Preferably in London.
You'll need to contact Amazon; they may have refurbished units available. These devices can't be repaired; it's a matter of replacing the screen, and it's generally more expensive to do so than to buy a new device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #41
Jhaea
Jhaea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My Kindle 3 screen turned "plaid" on Sunday night. The top 3/4 of the screen was blank and the rest of it had lines. I called Kindle customer serves, described the problem, and got my new kindle today. The Kindle was 3 weeks old. No idea what happened; my DH just picked it up from the nightstand and noticed something was wrong. I have a feeling a toddler may have gotten to it, and told the CS so. He said it wasn't a problem and a new one was on the way, just that I had to be sure to return the original broken one within 30 days. The # I called was 1800 447 4568.
Jhaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #42
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Same thing happened to me. Twice. Once my 1 yr. K2, then my 2 mo. old K3. Didn't drop either Kindles. In fact, I put my Kindle next to my bed before I sleep. Found the damaged screen in the morning. I think it's a quality problem :P

Call CS and have your Kindle replaced. I did.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #43
lalalarisse
lalalarisse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
i just stepped on mine and i don't know what to do i'm here in the Philippines and my aunt bought it for me when she came and visit us here. i don't know the exact date when she bought this but i've been using it for almost 2 weeks now. i'm about to cry i will talk to my aunt tomorrow morning if she can get this replace as soon as she get back to california.
lalalarisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #44
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalarisse View Post
i just stepped on mine and i don't know what to do i'm here in the Philippines and my aunt bought it for me when she came and visit us here. i don't know the exact date when she bought this but i've been using it for almost 2 weeks now. i'm about to cry i will talk to my aunt tomorrow morning if she can get this replace as soon as she get back to california.
Very sorry to hear this, lalalarisse. I know I shouldn't bring up what is probably a painful subject, but I can't help but wonder why your Kindle was somewhere where it could be stepped on?? Accidents do happen, so I guess I should leave it at that. I am certainly clumsy enough to be able to drop my Kindle and then step on it while I'm trying to recover it from the floor. It would probably survive the fall, but even my good cover wouldn't save it if I then stepped on it.

I don't know if you will have luck getting a free replacement, but perhaps Amazon will be lenient and at least let you buy a refurbished unit for a discount. It is certainly worth a try, anyway. Good luck!

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 AM   #45
corpcd
Enthusiast
corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.corpcd can eat soup with a fork.

Device: K3, KT
Same problem here (in fact, not mine, but a friend's unit).

International version, I phoned CS (the owner does not speak english), I was transfered to support, I described the problem and they send the owner a replacement for free.

I now have the broken unit (amazon didnt ask to send it back) and I dont know if I can repair it by myself, but looks like it is more expensive than buying a new one.

corp
corpcd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, kindle 3, kindle leak screen, screen leak