Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
That stupid charging cable

Sometimes my Kindle battery gets weak and I want to keep reading, so I plug in the charger. The charging cable attaches at the bottom and it sticks out straight. This is just so dumb.

Has anyone ever run across a cable that is L-shaped so it will plug in and have the charge cable stick out sideways and keep it out of the way?
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have but I cannot think about where I saw it. I am about 99% sure it was a micro USB charger for a cell phone but as long as it is micro USB you should be good to go.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Sometimes my Kindle battery gets weak and I want to keep reading, so I plug in the charger. The charging cable attaches at the bottom and it sticks out straight. This is just so dumb.

Has anyone ever run across a cable that is L-shaped so it will plug in and have the charge cable stick out sideways and keep it out of the way?
Like this? (though you can find them cheaper than on Amazon)

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When shopping you have to be careful. They do sell USB cables that may only charge or may only be good for data transfer. I bot burned that way when I bought a mini to micro USB adapter. The adapter I bought was charge only and no data... and that is not what I was looking for
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post

When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought you were going to criticize the quality of the cable that comes with the Kindle, and I was ready to take issue with that position, as it is of excellent quality. But instead, you're criticizing the placement of the USB port, and you are 100% right on the money: the bottom of the reader could not be a more inconvenient place to plug into.

On the bright side, although is a bit of an awkward way to do things, the new version of the software (2.3) allows for screen rotation, so now when I read while charging, I rotate the screen 180 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post

Bless you with a thousand blessings, Daffy! That's great. I'll have to get one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
When shopping you have to be careful. They do sell USB cables that may only charge or may only be good for data transfer. I bot burned that way when I bought a mini to micro USB adapter. The adapter I bought was charge only and no data... and that is not what I was looking for
And thanks for that heads-up!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:

That's perfect! thanks so much!!!! I have just ordered one.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
jimmylee7706
jimmylee7706 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That cable is a nice accessory to have, although I'd yet to see my battery get even remotely low, I keep my Wireless turned off though. But I am considering that cable because I work a lot on custom screensaver images for the Kindle 2 and this would be helpful when I'm working with the Kindle to transfer images.
jimmylee7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylee7706 View Post
That cable is a nice accessory to have, although I'd yet to see my battery get even remotely low, I keep my Wireless turned off though. But I am considering that cable because I work a lot on custom screensaver images for the Kindle 2 and this would be helpful when I'm working with the Kindle to transfer images.
The only real reason I have to cables is because I keep one up in my room to charge the Kindle when I need to and one at the computer to upload books when I need to. I find it to be a pain in the rear to run upstarts to get the cable
Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
The only real reason I have to cables is because I keep one up in my room to charge the Kindle when I need to and one at the computer to upload books when I need to. I find it to be a pain in the rear to run upstarts to get the cable
I hear ya. It's funny what we get used to. We used to get in the car, and drive to the bookstore, pick out a book, stand in line, buy the book, drive home. Now we can't go upstairs to get the charging cable!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

Quote:
I just got that cable from Amazon and it works fine. It's quite a bit thinner than I expected, however, so I don't know about the long-term durability.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-27-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #12
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
With the new software update, you could just turn the Kindle upside down while you're charging, so it will be on the top instead of the bottom...
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
blegs38552
blegs38552 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
This device (at least the Kindle 2) has a Lithium Ion battery which can be charged at any time for as long as you like without any problems. Given the long life of the battery, it seems the best cure is just to charge it overnight while you are sleeping. In this way, you never have to worry about the cable getting in the way.
blegs38552 is offline   Reply With Quote