Old 11-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #31
qariwa55
Enthusiast
qariwa55 began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue T62D
more on Arabic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Here is the "e-reader for Hebrew" thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105910

It looks like FBReader is hopeless.
Adobe Reader that displays e-pub is the best choice, it seems.

epub file is basically just zip file with html inside. So you can rename it to .epub.zip and unzip it to look inside. Zipping it back, well, that is more complicated, because the file manifest has to be non-compressed inside the archive and has to be at the beginning. Calibre can take the epub apart for you ant then pack it back together. Just right-click on a book in Calibre and select Tweak epub from menu. Calibre will create temporary directory with contents of epub inside. After you play with files Calibre will offer to pack files back into epub.

By the way, OpenOffice/LibreOffice odt files can be renamed to epub and opened on PocketBook, but that is ugly, UGLY hack, because file format is not identical, just similar enough to work (most of the time, in one of PocketBook aplications).
I did try pdf, but that did not work for me. I cannot get the font large enough, and then I also have problems getting the document to fit the page.

As for OpenOffice/LibreOffice, it does support Arabic after setting the configuration properly. For conversion to epub, there is also an add-on, Writer2Epub, that does the job, sorta, but it adds way too many html elements in the epub file, and presumes fonts in the CSS, which I would have to change. I don't really like that conversion.

I have used calibre the way you suggest. It is only as good as the xhtml/css editor you use on your epub. I have tried sigil as well, and now like it better than calibre for this purpose. Except that sigil does not support right-to-left editing, and the only free html editor that I have found that does, bluegriffon, is not free for css files, which is the main issue. I have just left the actual Arabic letters intact in my documents, which so far has not been a problem.

For turning Arabic html documents into epubs, or combining html docs into epubs, I have found a much better solution than copying to OpenOffice and then converting: I use the GrabMyBooks add-on to Firefox. This produces much cleaner epub files than what Writer2Epub or calibre produce, without a lot of extra garbage. Then I have much less tweaking to do.

Hebrew does have many of the same issues of Arabic, but does not have the problem with combining forms -- usually the main problem.

Oh, I forgot to note that Arabic TTS support in Pocketbook does not work right. The reading comes out left to right and it sounds ridiculous! Each word is pronounced very nicely though. Maybe I need to go through SVOX on that.

I suppose I should open a thread on Arabic in the epub files discussion area, but I get the feeling there are few people interested.

Last edited by qariwa55; 11-17-2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: typo and infelicity of style
qariwa55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #32
Avis
Avis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi all,
Can some1 help me please to find the text to speech function for all the promised languages? I just got my Pro 603 and so far its only Eng, Fr, German and Italian languages work for text to speech while it should work in 24 languages.
Thanx in advance
Avis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #33
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avis View Post
Hi all,
Can some1 help me please to find the text to speech function for all the promised languages? I just got my Pro 603 and so far its only Eng, Fr, German and Italian languages work for text to speech while it should work in 24 languages.
Thanx in advance
This thread might help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112801

Post #6 has the instructions.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #34
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Avis, we are very happy to help you if you have any questions, but could you please so kind not to post each of your questions three times? Thank you very much!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #35
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Speaking of pet peeves, as a device advertised as suitable for audiobooks I expected better.
What good are the speakers if you have to listen to an entire book in one sitting ?
A media player that's suppose to play audiobooks should remember the playlist and the position in the current playing file.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #36
Seneca
Enthusiast
Seneca began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus-5500G, PB-903, PB-603, Tolino Vision 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
- accellerator sensor: here I am not sure I understand what problems you have, do you mean the page does not turn when you re-oreint the device?
Exactly. Sometimes it doesn't even re-orient when you slamm it on your hand the way you would to get batteries out of a remote controll
I don't know for sure, and can't check, since PB keeps essential parts of the firmware source code closed, but I think this is a software and not a hardware problem.

To my observation, the actual hardware sensor is quite sensitive and accurate. However, the firmware does only accept certain transitions, instead of simply following the sensor readings. For example it will follow a "portrait" to "landscape" transition (rotating 90 degree from portrait upright to landscape upright), but does nothing if you do a "portrait" -> "lying flat" -> "landscape" transition. Which means, when ever it misses a transition, you first need to go back to the orientation it thinks it is in, wait a moment (try flipping page), and then go in one move to the desired orientation.
Just knocking it on your hand / other surface in the orientation you want it to assume will never help, because it will never generate a transition from what the firmware thinks is the current orientation to the desired one.
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
Hedaya
Connoisseur
Hedaya began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by qariwa55 View Post
I did try pdf, but that did not work for me. I cannot get the font large enough, and then I also have problems getting the document to fit the page.

As for OpenOffice/LibreOffice, it does support Arabic after setting the configuration properly. For conversion to epub, there is also an add-on, Writer2Epub, that does the job, sorta, but it adds way too many html elements in the epub file, and presumes fonts in the CSS, which I would have to change. I don't really like that conversion.

I have used calibre the way you suggest. It is only as good as the xhtml/css editor you use on your epub. I have tried sigil as well, and now like it better than calibre for this purpose. Except that sigil does not support right-to-left editing, and the only free html editor that I have found that does, bluegriffon, is not free for css files, which is the main issue. I have just left the actual Arabic letters intact in my documents, which so far has not been a problem.

For turning Arabic html documents into epubs, or combining html docs into epubs, I have found a much better solution than copying to OpenOffice and then converting: I use the GrabMyBooks add-on to Firefox. This produces much cleaner epub files than what Writer2Epub or calibre produce, without a lot of extra garbage. Then I have much less tweaking to do.

Hebrew does have many of the same issues of Arabic, but does not have the problem with combining forms -- usually the main problem.

Oh, I forgot to note that Arabic TTS support in Pocketbook does not work right. The reading comes out left to right and it sounds ridiculous! Each word is pronounced very nicely though. Maybe I need to go through SVOX on that.

I suppose I should open a thread on Arabic in the epub files discussion area, but I get the feeling there are few people interested.
You seem like you are ahead of me in this. I just got the Pocketbook 612 (b/c I TRIED making a Sony work, and as far as I can tell, you have to root your device to do that).

This, just like you said, reads fine when unvoweled, but when voweled (the majority of epubs I find), it, as you mentioned, comes stand alone. What is the best way to handle this that you have found? Can you explain it in simple terms? Like I have Calibre, but haven't figured out how to embed a font in a way that works (or rather these files read just fine in Calibre, but not on my Pocketbook).

And I haven't tried upgrading the firmware. I read the notes, and I don't think it helps with this problem anyways.
Hedaya is offline   Reply With Quote