Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like sex/love scenes in the stories you read?
No nookie for me. I don't want to go there. 36 12.29%
Love scenes are fine if they contribute to characterization and plot. 165 56.31%
I really enjoy sexuality in fiction. 46 15.70%
Some sex is OK but only in small doses. 38 12.97%
Love scenes are why I read! 8 2.73%
Voters: 293. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #106
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I don't like graphic descriptions and best left to the imagination.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #107
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I don't like sex scenes in books though I'm far from being a prude. Sure, I can accept it if it's essential for characterization but usually it's not. Most of the time I just get that feeling that the author doesn't get away from their type writer that much and I'm just having to wade through their private (public) fantasies.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #108
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I don't like sex scenes in books though I'm far from being a prude. Sure, I can accept it if it's essential for characterization but usually it's not. Most of the time I just get that feeling that the author doesn't get away from their type writer that much and I'm just having to wade through their private (public) fantasies.
That sounds just like my thoughts. If it is essential then I have no problems. An ebook I read a few months ago (self published, good reviews) didn't have sex scenes but had a character in several scenes imagine themselves with homosexual tendencies. This had absolutely no bearing at all on the story, nor did it reflect the character in terms of the story. It was just way out there and really distracted from the story.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #109
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I like Romance in books but not sex scenes. Also I don't like books that are entirely based on romance like Mills and boon or whatever. Romance can be sweet in a book if oy is not OTT and doesn't dominate the story.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #110
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
Yes, sometimes baths are necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
LOL Fresh sweat is ok. What you get after 2 weeks riding horses through marshes and forests, from battle to bloody battle, wearing the same pair of underwear... mmm... not so enticing.
I agree. I've written more than one love scene when the woman says hey wait you need a bath.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #111
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
more than one love scene when the woman says hey wait you need a bath.
and where the guy answers - "So what - even if I'd bathe now I would still need another after we are done."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #112
8annika.yael
Enthusiast
8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter8annika.yael doesn't litter

Device: none
where would we be without sex scenes? even if they weren't explicitly included in a plot, readers would create them on their own, so, essentially a sex/love scene is inevitable, no?
8annika.yael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #113
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
and where the guy answers - "So what - even if I'd bathe now I would still need another after we are done."
... but then the woman can say - "But you can share the second one with me..."
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #114
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote from the battlefield to his lover the Countess Maria Walewska: "Don't wash I am on my way to you." (Or maybe he wrote: Don't wash I'm coming?? Ah, the joys of translating )

The odour of a loved ones body can be very sexy!

OTOH Maria Waleswska was married at age 18 to Count Walsewska who was then 70. It is perfecty possible she was used to some strange old odour
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #115
ruddran
ruddran began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
Yes, I like stories weaved with sex and love, it makes the story alive.
ruddran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #116
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would answer "it depends on the book". A book like "Pride and Prejudice" without love scenes (love scenes - not graphic sex) would be meaningless. Love scenes in a hard SF novel are probably irrelevant.
That's the option I wanted too. If I read erotica I would obviously want it to contain some hot and steamy sex, but I don't. In every other genre I find that anything more than a very short and superficial scene just becomes annoying, so I chose the option one.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #117
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I don't find any of the poll options fitting. Unless I'm reading erotica, I just don't care about the sex lives of the characters. I don't feel that it really helps me get closer to the characters or to understand them any better.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #118
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I would have preferred to select this option:

The abundance or lack of sex in fiction is unimportant because only the writing matters.

The truly moral decision is not in one's choice of subject. It's in one's word choices, devotion to craft, emotional bravery and willingness to subjugate vanity to truth.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #119
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I really don't care for or want either love scenes or sex scenes in my reading. I stay well away from romance as a genre, and find romance in other genres badly done and uninteresting 99% of time - and with a romance I find badly done and uninteresting, with a male partner I don't find hot in any way, the sex scenes become repulsive. Plus, well, incredibly tedious - there are only so many ways to describe tab A going into slot B in detail.

My problem isn't so much with the concept of romance but the way it's done in the majority of published books, which just doesn't work for me - in general, I find the relationships developing too fast (without me seeing why the protagonist suddenly finds herself lusting for that guy) and the descriptions of the male love interests physically off-putting for me.

I can skip a sex scene or two in a book, but if there are more of them or if the books become too romance-focused (without a love interest I actually find interesting or appealing or attractive), I likely won't be reading more of that series/author in the future.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #120
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
But isn't part of the fun of reading novels the prospect of getting to know characters whose tastes, mental processes and lives are vastly different from our own?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
love scenes, poll, sex scenes