Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
How to remove Nook User Guide and Quick Start Guide from Nook STR

How do I remove the nook user guide and the quick start guide from my nook str? Do I have to root it?
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm trying to figure this out too. I think you have to do it through the website, but once you delete it, there is no way to get it back (through the website)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaxtuk View Post
How do I remove the nook user guide and the quick start guide from my nook str? Do I have to root it?
Can you Archive them?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
I want to know how to do this too. They suck and I hate them! Rawr!
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can you Archive them?
Nope there is no button to archive it.
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaxtuk View Post
Nope there is no button to archive it.
Yeah, I just checked. Another B&N restriction. Why do I continue to be surprised.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Probably just like on the Nook Color, they can't be removed there either (neither can a couple sample books).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I thought you could Archive them from the website and then the next time you updated they would be gone. I thought everything but the cookbook could be archived.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I thought you could Archive them from the website and then the next time you updated they would be gone. I thought everything but the cookbook could be archived.
I tried that as well, thinking the same thing. They're not even listed online.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Probably just like on the Nook Color, they can't be removed there either (neither can a couple sample books).
AnemicOak is right -- this is a feature carried over from the Nook Color. NC owners hated it then, and we (those who didn't root, anyway) hate it now.

Oh, and we got an ugly-covered cookbook with the last NC update. Can't delete that baby either because god forbid we not have the NEW APP FUNCTIONALITY shoved down our throats via the library.

They could at least have commissioned some pretty covers for them.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
From my experience it also seems impossible to remove the sample Gallery pictures from the Nook Color. I have deleted them numerous times only to have them reappear. This is a lot more intrusive than having a few doc files that you can just ignore. Those pictures keep showing up in the slideshow, and I see no way to stop them from appearing.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I guess one thing I'm saying is that I don't understand why folks get so upset over the 2 Nook Manuals that stay on their devices. Just ignore them, I'd say.

Last edited by RAH; 06-17-2011 at 08:06 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I guess one thing I'm saying is that I don't understand why folks get so upset over the 2 Nook Manuals that stay on their devices. Just ignore them, I'd say.
1. People like to control the content on what they own. If I don't want something, I want to be able to delete it off my device. What if B&N decides I need to also have a Maxim or Playboy magazine on my device to demonstrate how pretty the color display is? I want to have the *choice* to have an item on my device or not.

2. People don't like clutter. The nook library shows, what 3x3 books at a time? (I can't recall at the moment.) Every new book, app, or picture that gets shoved permanently to the device clutters up that display. When I'm wanting to browse my library, I don't want or need a bunch of extra crap in there. (User Guide and Quick Start guide are two different books? Really. *headdesk*)

3. People don't like being patronized to. The "you can't delete the user guide because you'd need it later" attitude is incredibly annoying line for B&N to take. F-off, B&N, I know more about my NC than the poor beleaguered tech writer you forced to write this POS "Quick Start Guide".

4. People don't like the hard sell. The user manuals were one thing, but the cooking app is just a big GO BUY APPS FROM THE APP STORE PRETTY SHINY GO BUY NOW sales push. Again, B&N can kiss off -- I'm not going to buy cooking apps from their app store and I don't want this ugly icon in my library from now until the heat death of the universe.

5. People don't like stupidity. There's no reason these items couldn't be locked into your account as "un-deletable, but archivable" and users could access them from the webpage and un-archive them if they ever wanted them back. This would, in fact, make MORE sense than the current implementation, since some of the "user manual" stuff is geared toward troubleshooting that you might need to do with the device OFF. The fact that B&N refuses to implement the content this way makes them either (a) lazy or (b) hard-selling, condescending jerks.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
From my experience it also seems impossible to remove the sample Gallery pictures from the Nook Color. I have deleted them numerous times only to have them reappear. This is a lot more intrusive than having a few doc files that you can just ignore. Those pictures keep showing up in the slideshow, and I see no way to stop them from appearing.

I agree, I actually created a shelf and named it "Instructional" and put them on it and that's that. If I get any other tips and tricks type of books they can go sit next to my manuels and out of the way.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
KipIngram
KipIngram began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Possible answer...

Ok - I haven't tried this yet (I'm at work - don't have time), but this looks reasonable to me. This presumes you've rooted your Nook.

1) On my rooted Nook, I can ssh into the thing and issues these commands:

cd /
find . -name "*.epub"

That gives me a list of all the epubs that are *anywhere*. I discover that Quick_Start.epub and User_Guide.epub are in /data/cloud_assets/books/userguids.

I also explored /data/data/com.android.providers.media/databases/internal.db with an Android sql browser. In the "products" table there are line items for those books.

I suspect that simply deleting those line items from the database products table is adequate. This might, however, only cause the books to start showing up like side loads. If so, it will also be necessary to delete the files I referenced above.

I will investigate this further later and, if successful, post a specific procedure.
KipIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
KipIngram
KipIngram began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Solved...

Ok - I am back. Upon further investigation I was unable to find the Quick Start and User's Guide listed in any database. Since I'm rooted the solution was easy - I just renamed those two *.epub files to *.epub.bak and power cycled my Nook. The documents no longer appear in my library.

Regards,
Kip
KipIngram is offline   Reply With Quote