Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #286
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Bump to thread - new rule #6 added.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #287
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
6. Affiliate links within posts are only allowed for ebook deals.

What does that even mean?
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #288
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

It means I can't link to the Kindle with an affiliate link--so for example if I wanted to talk about the shiny new kindle 3g I just got for my birthday I can't use my associate code to link to it. (or Tea or makeup or anything like that.)

Personally I find all this gestapo-ism distasteful and disheartening. But it is what it is.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #289
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

It means precisely what it says: that you can only post affiliate links for eBooks, and not for washing machines, toasters, or exercise bikes. What did you think it meant?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #290
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It means precisely what it says: that you can only post affiliate links for eBooks, and not for washing machines, toasters, or exercise bikes. What did you think it meant?
Harry,

I would like to suggest that you reconsider and allow ereader devices (again, only in the actual affiliate thread). I doubt they would get posted often.

Also, digital downloads (or, at least links to the actual deal codes) might be allowed: for example, links to Amazon for the various free music and instant video deals are not ebook deals, but I suspect several have taken advantage of them. Again, they don't occur often.

One question: are the KSO deals "ebook deals" or only if the deal itself involves an ebook? These do occur more often (every four days).

And, I'll assume that Kindle (or nook) games/apps are allowed (at least, the ones that are ereader specific, not general android apps). I actually appreciate that Arcdata finds those and posts them in her thread (not that I buy all of them).

I do see the need to keep washing machines and things you can't do on your ereader out of the threads and forum. Otherwise, you'll end up with groupon deals being posted, etc (of course, we would also learn which thread to ignore quite quickly, I'd assume).

It's easy enough to skip someone's affiliate thread, usually, just by going to the individual store and searching (although there are times this doesn't work, it usually suffices) or by lopping the affiliate signature off the link.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #291
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:

Quote:
Like Harry says, it means that affiliate posts for items other than ebooks aren't allowed in the body of posts. You can, however, use affiliate links for "washing machines, toasters, or exercise bikes" in your signature, if you so desire.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #292
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't have a clue what it meant, which is why I asked.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 10-15-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM   #293
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
One question: are the KSO deals "ebook deals" or only if the deal itself involves an ebook? These do occur more often (every four days).
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

And the answer for above would be helpful. Since I have several devices holding different libraries, I sometimes don't check my KSO for a week or more. I have been relying on posts here to let me know what offers are up and live so I don't miss anything good.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #294
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

And the answer for above would be helpful. Since I have several devices holding different libraries, I sometimes don't check my KSO for a week or more. I have been relying on posts here to let me know what offers are up and live so I don't miss anything good.
Just sign up for Koland's site via email or go directly to the blog. She has a GREAT column on the right that tells you what the deals are and when they expire. I know this because I don't keep track either. So when I want to know if a new deal is out, I go to her site (there's a link in her sig line to Books on the Knob). Check the deals and go on about business. I get her email sent to my box daily and she tends to remind subscribers when a new deal is available and when one is about to expire.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:52 PM   #295
DuskyRose
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Just sign up for Koland's site via email or go directly to the blog. She has a GREAT column on the right that tells you what the deals are and when they expire. I know this because I don't keep track either. So when I want to know if a new deal is out, I go to her site (there's a link in her sig line to Books on the Knob). Check the deals and go on about business. I get her email sent to my box daily and she tends to remind subscribers when a new deal is available and when one is about to expire.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #296
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
We also have a thread for Kindle Special Offers in the Kindle forum.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #297
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Harry, Its meaning is totally elusive...even after your "precise" explanation.

This place is getting difficult to understand/enjoy.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #298
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
Harry, Its meaning is totally elusive...even after your "precise" explanation.

This place is getting difficult to understand/enjoy.
I'm sorry to be dense, but I honestly don't see what's difficult to understand about it.

You CAN post affiliate links to eBooks.

You CANNOT post affiliate links to other things.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #299
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Harry,

I would like to suggest that you reconsider and allow ereader devices (again, only in the actual affiliate thread). I doubt they would get posted often.

Also, digital downloads (or, at least links to the actual deal codes) might be allowed: for example, links to Amazon for the various free music and instant video deals are not ebook deals, but I suspect several have taken advantage of them. Again, they don't occur often.

And, I'll assume that Kindle (or nook) games/apps are allowed (at least, the ones that are ereader specific, not general android apps). I actually appreciate that Arcdata finds those and posts them in her thread (not that I buy all of them).

I do see the need to keep washing machines and things you can't do on your ereader out of the threads and forum. Otherwise, you'll end up with groupon deals being posted, etc (of course, we would also learn which thread to ignore quite quickly, I'd assume).

It's easy enough to skip someone's affiliate thread, usually, just by going to the individual store and searching (although there are times this doesn't work, it usually suffices) or by lopping the affiliate signature off the link.
I agree completely with koland that it is pretty easy to learn which affiliate thread(s) to ignore, and would prefer things to stay the same and not have yet another rule. But, I can also understand a desire on the part of the moderators not to have to take up their time with wildly unrelated affiliate threads.

So, if the rules have to be expanded again (SIGH), moderators, please please please at least allow affiliate tags for e-book deals AND these other specific types that koland mentions. I have availed myself of e-reader deals, music/mp3 deal codes, and a couple of nook games/apps from this forum in the past, and if I had a KSO would almost certainly have used those too. I have not been offended at all by giving a "tip" to the affiliate poster, and suspect a lot of other folks have used similar links too, and not been offended either. In fact, I have a $1.99 mp3 compilation sitting hopefully on my wait list right now, waiting for the next little $1 or $2 mp3 Amazon code.

And yes, I know that strictly speaking these aren't books, but folks have seemed to use them without being upset in the past - no major "you're off topic" posts in the threads. And yes, I know there are other places to find these, but it was really nice to just get them as a "bonus" here, without having to look elsewhere. Eventually, if I keep having to look elsewhere and look elsewhere and look elsewhere, there won't be much point to looking here, and that would be really sad.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #300
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

We have changed the wording to "ebooks and ebook-related deals". Please note that this is not an additional rule - it simply codifies the description of this forum, which is "Find hot e-book deals and freebies, and other noteworthy e-books resources". The purpose of this forum has only ever been for deals and resources which are at least vaguely connected to ebooks and ebook readers. Yes, that would include such things as MP3 downloads, since many reading devices can play audiobooks and MP3s.

Hope that clarifies the situation.