Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you read an ebook filled with IAds?
Yes 18 25.35%
No 53 74.65%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #1
bwana
bwana began at the beginning.

Device: none
IAds=free ebooks?

Would you read a free ebook filled with IAds?
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
No. I'm allergic to ads in any form.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Nope I'd rather pay...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I don't have a problem with paying for books. I pay for food, clothes and a lot of other things. I do have a problem with ads. No, I would not download a book with ads.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I can always ignore the ads or perhaps write a script to strip them out. So I would definitely read them. I have no problem reading my old wowio PDFs which contain ads.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I read magazines that have ads, I don't imagine that a book with ads would bother me. I doubt, though, that iAds is going to be in the books. It will be used in the apps.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Nope...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Maybe, if the ads were limited to the beginning or end of the book.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Not at all - and if I somehow got one with ads, I'd make a point of NEVER buying/using the advertised products.
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
From what I've seen, ads are a hard sale in eBooks. It's too easy to flip by them, and the market is so segmented it's hard to aggregate and monetize. I really think that affordable prices and no ads makes a more compelling solution for everyone.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
Not at all - and if I somehow got one with ads, I'd make a point of NEVER buying/using the advertised products.
Wow, I thought that I was the only one who did that! If I click on a video in a news article but they make me watch a commercial first, I absolutely make a point to steer clear of that product.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
I've heard it (cynically) said, that the object of advertisements is not to sell a product to the public, but to sell the need for advertising to a company.

I like to think ads don't affect me, but would corporations really spend all that money if it didn't work?
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
I've heard it (cynically) said, that the object of advertisements is not to sell a product to the public, but to sell the need for advertising to a company.

I like to think ads don't affect me, but would corporations really spend all that money if it didn't work?
I also like to think that ads don't affect me, at least not the way they are intended to. For me, if I see constant commercials for a product or service, it makes me wonder how they can sell me the product/service and "save me hundreds a year on car insurance" (or whatever) when they are spending tens of millions on advertising? In my mind, if you are spending that much on advertising then you are overcharging for your product/service!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
You're assuming that it'll mean the book's free. Bad assumption.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
The point is moot, since mobile ads will never generate enough revenue to support anything other than the absolute cheapest of books.

The most likely situation is that they'll do the same thing they do with paperbacks -- tack on a few book ads at the beginning or end of a book.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote