Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Yep, count me in - 100% ACK...

BTW: The best ComicReader for Windows is ComicRack AND you can use it for PDFs (AND it can display 2 pages in landscape mode)! Find it HERE (it's FREE)
Thank you Gerraldo! Just what I was looking for!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
It appears the Archos 9 will have Windows 7 Basic, you can't even change the wallpaper. I hope it is upgradeable!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just heard a rumor that it may be missing the SDHC card slot. That might be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #19
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
With a 60 gig internal drive, it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a disappointment.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #20
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Just heard a rumor that it may be missing the SDHC card slot. That might be a deal breaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
With a 60 gig internal drive, it probably wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but it would be a disappointment.
I think what sucks most about it would be transferring things you have on your hard drive on your laptop or desktop. Sure if have a wireless router you can probably just jump on the network and move folders over. But that's an if.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I think what sucks most about it would be transferring things you have on your hard drive on your laptop or desktop. Sure if have a wireless router you can probably just jump on the network and move folders over. But that's an if.
Just use your USB stick... (It has a built-in 2.0 port.)

And regarding HDD - I'm definitely sure they'll introduce bigger ones as well... (They'd always done so!)

Yes, there's Windows 7 Starter Edition on the device (lots of Nettablets/books will use it).
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Just use your USB stick... (It has a built-in 2.0 port.)
Well, sounds awesome. If only it were say.... $399

Old 10-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Well, sounds awesome. If only it were say.... $399

In one of the newer videos I've heared someone talking about $ 499,-- (which is approx. € 350,--). On the other hand, in another (german) video they're talking about € 550-600,--...

Anything under € 400,- would be perfectly OK with me, but 500+ would clearly be too much!

BTW: The new Archos 5 Internet Tablet (which looks very interesting too) is priced at € 299,-- (for the 32GB FlashDrive) and € 349,-- (for the 160GB HD)... look HERE
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #24
Xerxes
Addict

Actually for a $100 (more than that $400 number I was joking about) more it probably wouldn't be bad. I think B&N is going to have an app that will give you some sort of DRM option. Although since it's a computer you can probably just use the Adobe Digital Editions software. PDFs should look excellent on it once you install Foxit or something. Makes for a nice color comic reader. Battery would probably be an issue although I don't know those spec, just speculating. HD Video is a plus.

Archos and there plugins though seem annoying. Then this firmware talk is troubling.

Maybe if you could pick up local TV on it. O_o

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-08-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #25
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
Battery would probably be an issue although I don't know those spec, just speculating.
Maybe, but you can easily change it and have extra batteries ready...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
CyGuy
Avid Reader

The missing SDHC card reader is what took the Kindle of the table for me. As soon as I found out they left this out, I didn't even give it a second look. This will likely be the case with the Archos as well. Having an SDHC card reader is just a must for me. Hope they rectify this before it actually launches!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #27
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
The missing SDHC card reader is what took the Kindle of the table for me. As soon as I found out they left this out, I didn't even give it a second look. This will likely be the case with the Archos as well. Having an SDHC card reader is just a must for me. Hope they rectify this before it actually launches!
I have a SDHC reader for USB (got it as an extra to a SDHC card I bought) - a bit wider then the usual USB-stick, but likewise pocketable...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #28
rebski
rebski began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Me too. If that is true then it is a silly omission.

Quote:
Just use your USB stick
Thanks for the suggestion but I have no interest in the workaround. This is a portable device, the SD card sits flush with the case, the USB protrudes and we take the risk of breaking it. Or else have to remove, store and carry it with the risk of loss.

Sorry but there really is no excuse for not having a slot, if indeed that is the situation. Agreed the hardware is excellent but there are already too many reasons for not buying Archos that this is just the final reason for me to look elsewhere.
rebski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
CyGuy
Avid Reader

The cost to add an SDHC card reader is minimal. The space taken up by an internal SDHC card reader is minimal. There is simply no valid reason not to add this must-have feature. I also have no interest in using a USB SDHC adapter, I want the card to sit flush so I can just leave it in.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate

Quote:
The cost to add an SDHC card reader is minimal. The space taken up by an internal SDHC card reader is minimal. There is simply no valid reason not to add this must-have feature. I also have no interest in using a USB SDHC adapter, I want the card to sit flush so I can just leave it in.
Do as you like, but what is an SD card good for in a device with 60GB+ harddisk-space?! At first it was copying data - a USB-stick or SDHC adapter is a good solution for that. Now it's needed to sit in the built-in SD-slot... What for?! To have additional 1-16GBs???

I have SD cards in my eBook reader, my MP3 player, my digital camera and my PDA + I have Memory sticks in my PSP and one of my mobile phones. All of them are used for data transfer and to have more memory. What I always carry with me is a fast 16GB USB stick with important portable software and data and approx. 10GB free space for data transfer.

BTW: If there would've been a built-in card reader I'd opted for a SDHC/Memory stick compatible one anyways... Would've been nice, but SDHC or not - so what?! (just my 2 cents)