Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
safrane
safrane began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Touch lux 2

After many weeks of making my mind up , I finally took the plunge and bought the Touch Lux 2 this afternoon. My first e-reader but already full of questions that I hope more experienced Touch lux 2 owners can answer.

Does the device come with a protective screen film like I've seen others have ?.

Is the device preloaded with books ( in this case 55 ).

If the device is switched off , is the screen blank or with Touch 2 in large letters across the top and with 8 icons under ?.

When setting time and date , I can't get the minute up/down arrows to react.

When I charge from the computer , I'm NOT asked to choose between "connect with PC or charge ".

All this and I've hardly begun.

Anyone can please help.
safrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
safrane

Just rechecked and it's actually 501 books in all different languages that are preloaded ?.
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by safrane View Post
After many weeks of making my mind up , I finally took the plunge and bought the Touch Lux 2 this afternoon. My first e-reader but already full of questions that I hope more experienced Touch lux 2 owners can answer.

Does the device come with a protective screen film like I've seen others have ?.

Is the device preloaded with books ( in this case 55 ).

If the device is switched off , is the screen blank or with Touch 2 in large letters across the top and with 8 icons under ?.

When setting time and date , I can't get the minute up/down arrows to react.

When I charge from the computer , I'm NOT asked to choose between "connect with PC or charge ".

All this and I've hardly begun.

Anyone can please help.
No protective screen that I know of. Since the front is glass, I don't think you need a scratch-resistant layer if that's what you're thinking of.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the preloaded books. Did you not get those books? They're all available as a single download from the website if you happen to delete them from the device.

You can choose what you want the display to show during power-off. Go into the Settings->Personalize->Power-off_Logo menu to select what you want. The default is the image that you described.

Not sure about the minute arrows. When I go to Settings->Date/Time->Current_Date_&_Time, I just get a numeric keyboard on my Touch Lux. Maybe they changed the interface on the Lux 2?

I don't think the charge dialog comes up if you plug the ereader into the USB when it's powered off. Try powering it up first and then plugging it in if you want the dialog. Also, make sure that Settings->Advanced_Settings->System->USB_Mode is set to "Ask when connected".

Take a look through the instruction manual that comes on the device. It's fairly complete when it comes to describing the GUI.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
safrane

Thanks for the feedback , all clear except for the books matter. No , I haven't downloaded anything . The device was bought with all these books already downloaded. Just wanted to know if this was standard or not or has there been a previous owner.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Yes, they are all in the public domain. Pocketbook just puts them there as a courtesy to new users. You can read what you want, or safely delete them.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
safrane

One of the reasons I chose this reader was because it was advertised as having
"multisensor control " - pinch and zoom . It is supposed to be able to zoom in by also running a finger up the right hand side. None of the systems work.
This together with the fact that some of the keyboard positions do not react to finger
contact ( meaning I cannot log onto the web) and a generally slow reacting screen make
me somewhat regret having chosen this device.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One of the reasons I chose this reader was because it was advertised as having
"multisensor control " - pinch and zoom . It is supposed to be able to zoom in by also running a finger up the right hand side. None of the systems work.
This together with the fact that some of the keyboard positions do not react to finger
contact ( meaning I cannot log onto the web) and a generally slow reacting screen make
me somewhat regret having chosen this device.
Are you talking about using pinch and zoom in coolreader, or in the reading apps that were developed by PocketBook? I know that it works in the latter. I'm not sure about coolreader, but if it doesn't work there, you can't blame PocketBook for that (except that they haven't released a new SDK for the latest devices).

As far as keyboard problems go, I've never had that problem with my Touch Lux. Maybe someone with a Touch Lux 2 can say something about that.

It's true that the screen is slow compared to other technologies, and that using it for general web browsing usually works poorly (because of all the animations used on most web sites). I don't think that this problem is specific to PocketBook's ereader, but rather to all e-ink ereaders. They are not good replacements for tablets in that sense.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
safrane

Don't know anything about a coolreader or reading aps.
The device is advertised as having a zoom function ... finish !.

For someone like myself who has never handled let alone owned an ereader before , this is an indication that the device can zoom into text , documents etc. If it can't , then it has been incorrectly advertised , or maybe rather unclearly advertised .
Old 05-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Quote:
The device is advertised as having a zoom function ...
I should think that it does, provided that you're using the software that comes with it. (Coolreader is an alternative, more powerful reading software. I like it and use it by default, but it's got nothing to do with Pocketbook.)
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
safrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmar View Post
I should think that it does, provided that you're using the software that comes with it. (Coolreader is an alternative, more powerful reading software. I like it and use it by default, but it's got nothing to do with Pocketbook.)
Please please tell me . I've followed all the instructions and have had feedback from the PB helpdesk who say I can only download from original PDF's in order to zoom. I'm now completely lost .
Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
random9
random9 began at the beginning.

Device: PB Touch Lux
Quote:
Please please tell me . I've followed all the instructions and have had feedback from the PB helpdesk who say I can only download from original PDF's in order to zoom. I'm now completely lost .
I don't have a Touch Lux 2, only a Touch Lux 1. I just tested the pinch-to-zoom gesture and couldn't find any problem with it. I can zoom in and out with it. So this should definitely also work on a Touch Lux 2. To make sure the problem is not related to a specific file, please download http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/raw-attac...Start/r7rs.pdf and try the zoom function with this document. It works on my reader. If it doesn't on yours, something must be wrong. By "pinch-to-zoom gesture" I mean to put two fingers on the screen close to each other and move one diagonally away from the other finger.
random9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #12
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Don't know anything about a coolreader or reading aps.
The device is advertised as having a zoom function ... finish !.

For someone like myself who has never handled let alone owned an ereader before , this is an indication that the device can zoom into text , documents etc. If it can't , then it has been incorrectly advertised , or maybe rather unclearly advertised .
What kind of document are you trying to read? For PDFs, the pinching gesture acts as a normal zoom, moving in and out of the static page image. For EPUB documents, "zooming" really just scales the font size up and down and then reflows the text to fit the page.

I tried sliding my finger up and down the right side, and it works for me. It only changes the font size by one step, though, so it may not look like it changed at all. You may have to do the gesture many times to make a big difference in the font scale. Pinching seems to work well, except that it's easy to change the font size too much if you're not careful.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
random9

I can confirm what rkomar said about EPUBs. From those that came with the reader, you can try "Le compte de Monte-Christo", which I just tested. If the named documents don't work for you, your device seems to behave abnormally.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
random9

Quote:
Originally Posted by random9 View Post
I can confirm what rkomar said about EPUBs. From those that came with the reader, you can try "Le compte de Monte-Christo", which I just tested. If the named documents don't work for you, your device seems to behave abnormally.
And to avoid any confusion, if you test it with "Le compte de Monte-Christo" (and probably any other EPUB), make sure to test it on an actual page with text. Zooming does NOT work on the EPUB's cover page.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
safrane

Thanks all , tried it all out - back to the shop - can't make head nor tail of it all.