Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
fantasyvn
fantasyvn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should I convert pdf to LRF format for better reading experience?

Dear all, I have this question.

Before transferring the PDF files to Sony PRS-600, do I need to convert them first to LRF format? Will it make a better reading experience?

My sincere thanks,
fantasyvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
PDF may be OK, but IMHO PDF can be the worst, depending on the type of PDF. General fiction is usually OK, but technical books and magazines can be a problem. Documents with collumns and charts are usually hard to read on the small screen and don't reflow well.
Some prefer LRF because it will display justified on the PRS-600 and ePub does not. However, if I was going to go to all the work of converting from PDF to another format, I'd go to ePub. Time is running out for the LRF format. It has been dropped by Sony. The future is with ePub (until something better comes along).

Last edited by MSJim; 07-01-2010 at 12:14 AM.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
I tried PDF and also the converted version (in Calibre) of same books. When you are a little bit limited with free space (as Sony reader in its main memory is), it is always better going with smaller files. And there, the epubs rule. Much smaller(generally, sometimes they are just a little bit smaller), with the possibility to set the correct font size in Calibre and with the fact in mind that epub becomes a de facto standard for ebook publishing, I think they are better solution. The conversion process is fast and straight-forward in Calibre, so I would recommend you ePubs.

BTW, the extended memory via SD or MS card is a nice feature, but according to some reviews, using them drains battery faster and slows down the response time for page changing. So, I use primarily the main memory and it's quite limited, but enough to put a good quantity of books, especially if their size is small, like ePubs.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
PDF is generaly bad for 6" ebook readers. When you comvert PDF to anything else, you loose a lot of formatting such as italics and bold.
Although some users claim calibre is doing a good job, so I think it is worth to try.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
At least 20% of the PDF i tried to convert using calibre fail, my 600 seems to take longer to turn pages when reading PDF and i try to use epub or lrf and the battery might last longer also.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert