Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Notion Ink Adam Delayed til November?

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...-thanksgiving/

Quote:
But smashing all the hopes and aspirations comes the bad news that the Adam won’t make it to the retailers before fall 2010. This was revealed in an e-mail sent by Shravan to a fan of the product wherein it was stressed that Notion Ink has concluded the final round of investment and while this should have brought cheers to everybody, the thing that dampened the mood is that investors are only keen for a release closer to the holiday season. The investors did bring with them the money and experience. “But they also bought the step by step procedures and experience on how we should launch,” is what Shravan had to say in his e-mail.
“I am sad to say that I have to fight every day with them to launch by July end, but they want us to hit markets only near Thanksgiving,” further added Shravan.
Christmas season is going to be crazy.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Experienced investors, really? In what, shoe sales?
Wait until more competition shows up, market of potential buyers saturated with iPad or something else entirely, that came just one month ahead of Adam. Or better yet let's wait until technology becomes irrelevant .
It's technology, not crude oil or fine wine. Age does not better product make.

Last edited by dmikov; 06-07-2010 at 07:09 AM.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Barlo
Barlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX: NotionInk ADAM: QUE ProReader
Thumbs down

I too was quite dissapointed when I found out about the delay
Lets hope at least that they stick to a November release
Barlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 AM   #4
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Well, the screen resolution is to small for me anyway. I hope there will be more interesting tablets by that time. One more with Pixel Qi is announced (I don't remember the name, though it's an Intel Atom device).
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
jee
Enthusiast
jee began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Delayed again? This thing died before it was born.
jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
There are other posts about this delay that seem to indicate that it won't be everywhere, but it does seem particularly stupid to delay it in the states (as the thanksgiving and thus black friday thing implies) because that is where most companies are going to tend to launch sooner if they can due to the ipad's lead time.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Well, the screen resolution is to small for me anyway. I hope there will be more interesting tablets by that time. One more with Pixel Qi is announced (I don't remember the name, though it's an Intel Atom device).
Yeah, I'm now on the fence whether I want to get a netbook with a 1366x768 screen, or a Pixel Qi screen (if one ever becomes available) at 1024x600. I think both are workable in a netbook form factor, though the extra vertical real estate would be nice for word processors and other toolbar-heavy applications. The netbook I take to work with me is 800x480 and it is utterly maddening at times.

For a web-capable tablet though, 600px doesn't really seem to be enough for portrait orientation, and even 768 is a bit narrow. 1280x1024 would be fantastic, but nobody's going that route.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
From SLashgear.com:
Quote:
Update: Notion Ink tells us that the November launch is in “a few countries” but not all, and that Rohan’s original email saying so was only partially quoted. They also tell us they’ll be releasing a launch date “soon”. Hopefully this means things are still on track for a Q3 2010 release, in some regions at least.
Phew!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Hopefully the investor part is true and this not a stall for more time to fix other issues that haven't been mentioned. I also have to wonder about these "experienced" investors. Why would you delay a product that has gotten some pretty good press and seems to have a lot of people waiting for it, until there are even more competitors around. If they came out now there would them and the iPad, and if the Adam was 2/3 of what people are expecting they could sell quite a few units.

If they were available now I'd consider one in the next couple of months, if they don't come out until Q3 then I'll wait and see what else comes out and compare them all. What a terrible idea to wait - that's what makes me wonder if there isn't something else going on.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just not good news for them.

The longer they delay, the more tablets will be out there from established companies for them to have to compete against. And it's very hard for newcomer company to beat that kind of competition.

It was in their interest to get this out ASAP while there aren't a lot of tablets on the market.

I also question the market for this tablet--and I say that as someone who IS interested in it.

The bookworms on here mostly wouldn't want one as they complain about distractions and just wanting a simple device that does nothing but read books. So most avid readers won't want a pixel QI tablet. Then you have the joe six packs who don't read much--they aren't going to care about the reflective mode in pixel qi and are thus more likely to go with the iPad or another LCD tablet.

So even if this comes out, I'd unfortunately be surprised if it didn't bomb.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I am unsurprised that a company with no previous device experience, which promised the moon in delivering a device based on a chipset in advance of the major vendors and which displayed a basically negligent attitude towards the necessary software is "late".

Afaik, it's not *going* to exist.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
alism
Connoisseur
alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD, Kindle 3, KPW,
The Notion Ink blog has been updated:
http://notionink.wordpress.com/
alism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About time they got that out.. I wonder if the
Quote:
Another update is that we have evaluated another platform, which is proving to be extremely efficient on battery and much cheaper as well. So now you might be able to choose among the HW platforms as well (but here is a might in this line).
part, means that they are also looking at a non-Tegra2 solution? Why, I have no idea..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Because Tegra2 is probably worse on battery and pricier than the other platform.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #15
David Munch
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
Because Tegra2 is probably worse on battery and pricier than the other platform.
I thought it would be better on the battery? Pricing I can see the problem with.