Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Theseus
Theseus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Sony PRS900: Annotation across multiple file formats

Hello folks, I originally posted this as a first post and as an intro, but I guess I should have broached this problem here instead:

I just got my first e-reader, a Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900, about 10 ten days ago. My first 5 days with the device were marked by complete and utter satisfaction -- even elation -- with the product. The device seemed to meet my expectations in every respect, and then some. But then came Day 6, when I learned to my dismay that although the PRS-900 can display both ePub and PDF files, unfortunately you CANNOT annotate (mark up with highlighting, etc.) BOTH types of documents and expect the annotations to be retained in memory. I was 80% done with an ePub book which I had annotated extensively, but because I had also added a few annotations to a couple small PDFs I was working with, ALL of my careful annotations in the ePub book got deleted! They totally disappeared, and the ePub volume just froze up!

I contacted Sony customer assistance about this, and they replied saying, "I'm sorry to inform you that the ePub and PDF format books cannot be used in the Reader at a time. You should use either ePub or PDF in your Reader." What a huge disappointment!!

That completely contradicts SONY's advertising statement that "the Reader Daily Edition, supports Adobe® PDF3, Microsoft® Word, BBeB® and other text file formats" (www.sonystyle.com). SONY should state more truthfully that those formats maybe are all supported, but not at the same time on the same reader! The impossibility of utilizing the annotation function across multiple e-publishing formats is, to my mind, a SERIOUS design/programming flaw.

Any comments or ideas out there? I asked Sony if they might fix this problem through a future downloadable firmware update, but they never answered me on that. Thought about packing up the damn device and sending it back, but I'm loathe to do that and I'd lose some money anyway.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I contacted Sony customer assistance about this, and they replied saying, "I'm sorry to inform you that the ePub and PDF format books cannot be used in the Reader at a time. You should use either ePub or PDF in your Reader." What a huge disappointment!!
AFAIK this is only true for eBooks borrowed from a library.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Theseus
Theseus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Wetdogeared, the ePub book I was reading, where all annotations got deleted, was purchased from the Sony Reader Store. ("The Healing of America," by T.R. Reid.) I haven't even got around yet to borrowing from an online library, though I hope to do so soon.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Hello folks, I originally posted this as a first post and as an intro, but I guess I should have broached this problem here instead:

I just got my first e-reader, a Sony Reader Daily Edition PRS-900, about 10 ten days ago. My first 5 days with the device were marked by complete and utter satisfaction -- even elation -- with the product. The device seemed to meet my expectations in every respect, and then some. But then came Day 6, when I learned to my dismay that although the PRS-900 can display both ePub and PDF files, unfortunately you CANNOT annotate (mark up with highlighting, etc.) BOTH types of documents and expect the annotations to be retained in memory. I was 80% done with an ePub book which I had annotated extensively, but because I had also added a few annotations to a couple small PDFs I was working with, ALL of my careful annotations in the ePub book got deleted! They totally disappeared, and the ePub volume just froze up!

That completely contradicts SONY's advertising statement that "the Reader Daily Edition, supports Adobe® PDF3, Microsoft® Word, BBeB® and other text file formats" (www.sonystyle.com). SONY should state more truthfully that those formats maybe are all supported, but not at the same time on the same reader! The impossibility of utilizing the annotation function across multiple e-publishing formats is, to my mind, a SERIOUS design/programming flaw.

Any comments or ideas out there? I asked Sony if they might fix this problem through a future downloadable firmware update, but they never answered me on that. Thought about packing up the damn device and sending it back, but I'm loathe to do that and I'd lose some money anyway.
Hi:

Thanks for your warning. How strange, I have a prs700 and I have annotated epub/lrf/pdf's and all retain the annotations...

Regards
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote