Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
gse1woody
gse1woody began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Good Evening All

I am new here to the boards. I just bought a PRS-505 the other day and love it. I have an iPhone but got tired of trying to read books on the small screen. My only regret is that I did not wait and get the PRS-700. I would like to be able to make notes and highlight text.

Which raises a question; Is there anything out there other than a full "Tablet PC" that you can use to write, take notes, or just jot things down on like a real notebook. Something the size of a PRS-505 but "writable".

Thanks for all the info on this site....I am still digging around.

Dave
gse1woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gse1woody View Post
Which raises a question; Is there anything out there other than a full "Tablet PC" that you can use to write, take notes, or just jot things down on like a real notebook. Something the size of a PRS-505 but "writable".
Check out the iRex iLiad and DR1000 lines. They are both bigger than the Sony and quite a bit more expensive. But, they do allow for scribble/notetaking with a stylus.

There are also other devices in the pipeline but they are not out yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gse1woody View Post
I am new here to the boards. I just bought a PRS-505 the other day and love it. I have an iPhone but got tired of trying to read books on the small screen. My only regret is that I did not wait and get the PRS-700. I would like to be able to make notes and highlight text.

Dave
Congrats! The 505 is a fantastic device. I too would like the 700 the built in stylus and built in light are features I've sorely wanted.

As for your question. There is the EB1150 sold by ebookWise. It goes for $100 dollars and is about the same dimension as the SONY. The EB1150 is about 5 times thicker, with a contour grip feels very confortable when reading for long periods. The device also comes with a stylus, can highlight and take notes. A dictionary (free from eBookWise), oh and did I say no night light needed.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I make small notes with the Kindle, but it's not terribly responsive. I think that's due to the screen refresh rate. I make heavy use of the highlight function, though. Every passage that is highlighted gets snapped into a side file (MyClippings.txt) which I can upload to my PC. I use this to capture quoted passages for reviews.

I'm thinking seriously about getting a tablet PC of some type. Would love to find one the size of the new ultra mobile PCs. I haven't really begun a search, though, since I don't dare come home with another expensive gadget after buying both a Kindle and a Sony 505 this year.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote