Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #61
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
For most of you, does the TBR pile = all owned and unread books? Or is it a subsection of such books?

I have thousands of unread books that I am happy to leave unread (e.g., many classics). Other unread books--a much smaller number--I fully intend to read ... someday.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #62
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
For me it's all owned and unread books, even if I never intend to read them. Although now I think about it, I might have removed a few reference books and text books from the list.

I do want to filter it down a bit, and see how many books that I actually want to read are on the list, but whenever I try to do that I find it too difficult to make the decisions and end up abandoning the attempt.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
For most of you, does the TBR pile = all owned and unread books? Or is it a subsection of such books?
For me it's all bought and unread books, along with a select few freebies.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

I have thousands of unread books that I am happy to leave unread (e.g., many classics). Other unread books--a much smaller number--I fully intend to read ... someday.
The reason that "classics" ARE classics is because they're great books . Perhaps worth considering reading?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #65
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My TBR List is a list of books that I'm fairly certain I want to read soon(ish). I may already own a few of those, but ownership doesn't make for automatic inclusion. I own many books that have fallen off of my TBR List. Conversely, there are many books on my TBR list that may fall off without ever getting read/purchased. Basically, my TBR List represents a snapshot in time of my current (and ever changing) tastes. It is independent of ownership.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #66
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:

My actual TBR is about 20% (possibly less) of the owned & unread count. It's more of an active desire to read the former vs a more passive "someday, possibly, or not" for the latter.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #67
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I have a huge TBR list and I know I'll probably never actually read them all. I like options. I want to be able to read what I feel like reading at that moment. I don't feel any obligation to read any or all of them. To me a TBR list is a list of choices, not a must-do list.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #68
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
My TBR list includes books that I want to read that were recommended on Goodreads or MR or the latest novel of a favourite series that has not been released yet. If it is a new series, it only includes the first book.
I purchase books from my TBR list when there is a deal or I have a good coupon. I call this my "Purchased but Unread" list. I have accepted that the value of this list will never be zero, but as part of my Reading Challenge this year I'm working to get it below an acceptable balance.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #69
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
My TBR pile is all owned an unread. I wouldn't acquire any books (not even freebies) that I had no intention of reading.

I've said before, but I think mine is quite modest at around 200 as it's roughly what I go through in a year. My TBR pile has been at around that number for several years so at least I know that I read as much as I add to it
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #70
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason that "classics" ARE classics is because they're great books . Perhaps worth considering reading?
I've considered and then rejected them.

But don't worry, there are still plenty of classics on my "someday" list!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #71
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For me it's all bought and unread books, along with a select few freebies.
This is that which I noticed.

For me TBR is 99.9% books I want to read, but haven't bought yet.
That's why it's easy to keep piling up titles on it
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #72
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason that "classics" ARE classics is because they're great books .
Or had been, at a different time, in a different culture, under different circumstances (such as limited selection) when different preferences and tastes dominated.

Also, I sometimes feel that some books are only "classics" due to the repeated claims that they are, even by people who have not read them. There are aspects of alleged prestige, intellectual superiority, etc. that factor in, as well, though I want to exclude present company from this. I just know too many people who have shelves full of "classics" that they never opened, but which they will nevertheless talk about as if they had.

Of course, it's always a matter of preference. Personally, most classics I have read struck me as boring and dusty. I read books solely for entertainment, and so I prefer what you may think of as trash.

It's entirely possible that my brow is on a bronze age level.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #73
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
OT: some classics are overrated IMO but some are quite interesting and exciting! They're just like modern novels in that regard. I haven't read a classic in a while but I do want to read a couple this year and take them off my TBR.

Last edited by faithbw; 02-04-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: correcting typos made by auto correction.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One of the problems with classics is that they are forced down our throats in school when we're teenagers, but most of them were not written for children. When I was in school I thought that Dickens was the most tedious writer imaginable, but when I "rediscovered" him when I was in my 30s I was just blown away by his writing. Very few teenagers have the maturity to be able to appreciate his wit and social satire - I know I didn't when I was that age. These are books written for adults, not teenagers, which is why I'd always suggest having another go at authors you did find dry as dust when they were forced on you in your schooldays.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #75
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I keep finding new authors I like. My TBR list grows all the time. I read 100 books last year and would have added 200 plus to my TBR list. I am a lot better at not buying books on my TBR list unless it comes out on super special, or I run out of books by a particular author I can not put down. Even then I try and pick books on special.
When i find something I like I find it hard to stop.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote