Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
once, they forgot to take my suitcase off the plane in the airport i got off in (the plane was continuing on to another destination). since luckily i noticed this in time, they were able to call someone in the cargo bins to retreive my suitcase before it left to Tahiti (or wherever).

however this was taking quite a long time, and meanwhile my father was waiting for me "on the other side" with no news. i thought it might be nice to tell him that i had not in fact missed my flight, and would be there shortly (with luck), and since i was not allowed to leave the baggage area and then return, i asked one of the agents to make an announcement. so they called the help desk in the waiting area to transmit the news.

this is the message they gave : "please inform Mr. K that his daughter is being detained in immigration, and that it might take a while."

i never checked a suitcase since then.
[EDIT : this decision has nothing to do with european pants, which fit my european bum just fine.]

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-21-2008 at 12:05 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #32
Klaatu
Klaatu doesn't litterKlaatu doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
At the risk of sounding like just another "me too!" response...

I've traveled several times with my Sony Reader in my carry on and the screeners have never asked about it. And most of my trips are in the overly-paranoid US.

Regards,
Michael
Klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll take out the laptop then and leave the Cybook in the bag. I'm glad to hear the security folks seem okay with reading devices. I'll probably entertain myself with the inflight magazine or my tatting till the plane is in the air, though! On my last plane trip (which was much longer than this one will be) I finished my book in the middle of the flight...argh. No more!
At Heathrow they seem to have changed the rules recently. Now you should not take you laptop out of the bag. They had put signs saying that over the old sign saying you should take it out. Maybe they have capacity problems.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When I've flown with paperback books, I've always had the one I was reading and one unread book so I always had enough to read for the duration of the flight. I did have more books in my checked luggage as well.
But what if the next book is no good? I always had four books at least in the hand bagage on long trips.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:53 PM   #35
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Sound advice. I've hurriedly bought a paperback at one of the terminal shops only to discover it wasn't what I thought.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #36
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
Last trip, yes the one with the stewardess, I actually managed to read 5 books but actually started 2 others and decided that they where "too heavy" for sun, sand and lots of rum drinks.

Without my Sony Reader I would never have read as much so I would have had to spend more time watching the "mobile scenery" which would have made my wife give me the “look”.

Having approximately 70 books to choose from made getting just the right book possible. Nothing like this was ever possible before.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 PM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Nothing like this was ever possible before.
Oh yes it was - I've been doing it for over 20 years!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #38
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'll probably entertain myself with the inflight magazine or my tatting till the plane is in the air, though!
It's unusual to run into anyone these days who even knows what tatting is ... much less can do it. I'll bet you get a lot more questions about your tatting shuttle than your eBook reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #39
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
At Heathrow they seem to have changed the rules recently. Now you should not take you laptop out of the bag. They had put signs saying that over the old sign saying you should take it out. Maybe they have capacity problems.
They have new-fangled scanners. They're being used in some US locations as well.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #40
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'll bet you get a lot more questions about your tatting shuttle than your eBook reader.
It's about 50/50. I get a lot of "my grandmother used to do that!" (about the tatting, not the reader, although how cool would that be?) And of course I have a couple of Mlle. Riego's needlework books that I converted on my Cybook... I actually get the most public gadget use comments about the folding keyboard that I use with my Treo. I'm not a public attention whore, really.

Last year the TSA agent barked at me to take out "all electronics larger than a cell phone," which is why I was wondering about the ebook reader. I went to a few travel forums and the TSA seems to be laptops-only at this point. And of course the shoes and the 3-1-1 baggie. I hope they get the new scanners and the laptop can stay in the bag. I'll be a lot more cheerful about the shoes and freedom baggie if that's the case.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Report as requested

I got back from Chicago earlier this week and, as anticipated, had zero problems traveling with the Cybook.

While going through the security line, I tucked it into the laptop sleeve (since the laptop was in a tray). At PHL the TSA screener put my bag through the scanner twice--he was very polite, even nice, and told me he was turning it over to put it through again. It was a combination suitcase/laptop rolling bag so it had a lot of layers to see through, I guess. No problems.

At MDW (Chicago Midway), I went through at rush hour in the "casual traveler" lane and again, no issues.

I did tatting till we got in the air, and then when electronic devices were permitted, read my Cybook. On the flight home, the woman in the seat next to me asked about the Cybook, so I showed it off. Interestingly, I was attending a geeky conference with Internet professionals and frequently took out the Cybook to read during breaks, and not one person asked me about it. Saw no other reading devices there; lots of laptops and iPhones, though. (I didn't even really realize that until after it was over. Almost every time I read the Cybook in public some Joe Q. Public type stops to ask about it. There's a metric for you to think about.) No Eee-type laptops, either, which surprised me, though I saw one really tiny Sony VAIO and a Fujitsu Lifebook.

On the way out I had the row to myself so I thought you might like to see a photo of my Cybook at 30,000 feet! Since my tatting came up in the thread, I also included it in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cybook_airplane.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	13746  
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #42
Elsi
Wizard

That looks a lot like my tray during flight -- except that I don't bring tatting with me. On a recent flight to Montreal, the flight attendant had lots of questions about the Kindle. She said she's seen about 20 people reading electronic book readers during flights in the past month. At landing, they announced "It is now safe to turn on your cell phones and other hand-held electronic devices. Laptops and other devices must stay powered off until you enter the terminal."