Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Rivka
Rivka began at the beginning.

Device: none
Linking to a website

I would like to build a web site mainly as a reference that is linked from the e-book for more detailed information, videos, audio, pdf, graphics but I don't know if any of the readers would support viewing all of it. Epub seems to do ok with the Html5 but I don't know that the readers will. Has anyone tried this?
Rivka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
I would like to build a web site mainly as a reference that is linked from the e-book for more detailed information, videos, audio, pdf, graphics but I don't know if any of the readers would support viewing all of it. Epub seems to do ok with the Html5 but I don't know that the readers will. Has anyone tried this?
Most e-readers don't have web browsers that connect to the ebooks. While a few have internet access (the Kindle has a basic browser, and I understand the Nook has something, although I'm blurry about whether it's an in-store-only feature), none of the dedicated ebook readers allow web-hopping from inside an ebook--the ebook program and internet program don't connect. For the Kindle, web access is very limited; not quite text only but close--no java, very limited CSS support.

Tablet readers like the Nook Color or iPad might allow links from inside an ebook, but e-ink readers aren't likely to get that ability; the limitations of the display screen make it not worth developing. And even for tablet readers, they're likely to encourage a single-book app rather than make the browser software easily accessible from inside epub or mobi ebooks.

And a lot of us have ebook readers with no web access whatsoever, or do a lot of reading with the wifi turned off to save battery life. You can't count on an ebook being able to connect to the internet.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert