Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #31
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It never fails to amaze me how many people really, really care about the screen savers. For me, they're something I see for 5 seconds before/after I wake the Kindle up or put it to sleep. As long as they aren't disturbing images of drowning puppies, I could really not care less
Personally I do not care either.
But drowning puppies could be interesting...
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu View Post
The only thing I don't like about my Kindle is that I've stopped keeping up with my television soap opera recordings. I'm reading instead.
CONGRATS!!!! your brain thanks you!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It never fails to amaze me how many people really, really care about the screen savers.
I'll agree that screen savers aren't a major issue in itself but they are very visible. To me the lack of such a facility is just a daily reminder to me that Amazon really wasn't thinking straight when it implemented it's firmware. What's worse is that their continued absence is a daily reminder to me that they aren't listening very hard to their customers.

Giving users control of this is simple to implement, it's also very visible and most users would appreciate the improved customization it would allow. I just don't see any downsides to doing this.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #34
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have a variety of ereading devices and I tend to go back to the Kindle. Why? Whispernet, especially when I travel is soooo easy. I can purchase individual copies of my newspaper and if I really just have to read a specific book I can 99% of the time easily purchase it from Amazon.

I far prefer the physical keyboard to a virtual one. I can't tell you how many hotels I've stayed in that have really bad wifi and being able to use my Kindle to check email and rudimentary web surfing has been a life saver. Faster than my nice smartphone and a bigger screen to boot. If I traveled more I'd get a broadband card for my laptop.

The dictionary is a big plus. I use it frequently and any device without one is lacking, IMO. The same goes for the search feature. Have you ever been reading a book a character pops up that you don't really remember from earlier in the book? It's pretty easy to search on the character's name and refresh your memory.

I don't care for the screensavers but I don't consider them a minus. What I don't like about the Kindle is the mobi/prc/azw format. Really wish that ePub was directly supported on the Kindle. I can take the same book view it in ePub and mobi/azw/prc and almost always the ePub version is better formatted. Plus ePub gives you page numbers instead of the Kindle's unusual numbering system. But, for me, this is a minor annoyance and I mostly read on my Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #35
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can even read and reply to posts on this forum!
Mike
(using his kindle to post for for extra emphasis)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #36
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I actually kind of enjoy most of Amazons supplied pictures. especially the really old ones. I keep meaning to check out the back story on them but never get around to it
You should really do so, i.e. Virginia Woolf is a really interesting character who wrote some really good books still interesting in these days. Besides that she had a very interesting and troubled life with such a sad and tragic end ...

Its really worth the time to check them out.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #37
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
You should really do so, i.e. Virginia Woolf is a really interesting character who wrote some really good books still interesting in these days. Besides that she had a very interesting and troubled life with such a sad and tragic end ...

Its really worth the time to check them out.
I know about her. I mean the OLDE ones with the calligraphy, the drawing with the man and the animals, the (I assume) observatory one... those
Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #38
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I know about her. I mean the OLDE ones with the calligraphy, the drawing with the man and the animals, the (I assume) observatory one... those
Try this link for a bit more info.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Try this link for a bit more info.
thanks! I'll check it out!

oh yeah! I remember that thread. it was nice, but more info would be fun

I wonder what happened to SirBruce? he was pretty darn helpful!

Last edited by kindlekitten; 06-25-2010 at 08:02 PM.