Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #16
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Strange that it has no support for PDF. I guess they have some sort of conversion program on the desktop component.

Is it THAT difficult to have an ebook reader capable of supporting both a OEBPSish kind of file and a PDFish kind of file?
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
They might be late for the Iliad but they still have a chance for the Sony....
Whether they beat the Sony will depend a lot on how close Amazon is to popping this rascal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that they won't be lauching the Kindle before the end of October (Sony's expected time-frame), but they may well beat the HanLin V2.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
The producer seems to be Hon Hai Precision Industries (aka Foxconn).

You know, the company with the slogan "free speech? we've heard about it".
l'Inq about it http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=34040

I don't think it's about beating or not beating. We should be happy that they might get ebooks right this time, so we don't have to wait another 5-10 years (again)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnagle
Strange that it has no support for PDF. I guess they have some sort of conversion program on the desktop component.

Is it THAT difficult to have an ebook reader capable of supporting both a OEBPSish kind of file and a PDFish kind of file?
The manual doesn't say much on it, but page 15 mentions that "You can also convert and transfer personal MSWord, PDF, and other documents." (emphasis, mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
I don't think it's about beating or not beating. We should be happy that they might get ebooks right this time, so we don't have to wait another 5-10 years (again)
That gets a great big 'Amen' from me!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Imagine Amazon doing e-book sales? Their site is major and operational not a newbie.

Sony should have delivered it's product sooner, now they lost their edge.

Maybe Amazon is hyping to get us to consider their offering. It's not the first time a company deliberately lets out info about a possible contender...

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 09-11-2006 at 01:50 PM. Reason: missed an important word
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You may be right, but in this case it was the FCC who leaked out the specs, and Engadget is known to spend their free time on FCC's website looking for unreleased information ;-)
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #22
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Imagine Amazon doing e-book sales? Their site is major and operational not a newbie.

Sony should have delivered it's product sooner, now they lost their edge.
Yeah, Amazon has the book sales thing down pat, but their hardware design team could use some inspiration... I mean, yuck. That thing is *ugly*. And they seem to be creating something that's only for reading Amazon books.

I still think there's room for other ebook devices to compete. We certainly haven't seen the perfect ebook reader announced yet...
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #23
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
I doubt they are aiming for Christmas 2006. It doesn't make sense to keep it under wraps for so long. Sony Reader has captured a lot of advance publicity; my guess is summer 2007.
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #24
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does Apple sell design services ?

Star Trek went of the airways long ago!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
That's not even remotely Star Trek.

Star Trek is PADDs with color display and way less frame.

That's Battlestar Galactica or Raumpatrollie Orion (strange black'n'white german scifi)

concerning "perfect" ebook reader: Until now the iliad beats all the other readers hands down. (well, except the price)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
Until now the iliad beats all the other readers hands down.
Considering that there are no other e-ink readers on the market at the moment, I agree with you.

I also agree that the Kindle is more like 70's Battlestar Galactica.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #27
Mediamania
Mediamania began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700
Any chance of someone posting the PDF of the Amazon Kindle user manual? Seems it's no longer on the FCC site, mysteriously enough, or the link cited above (on page 1 of this thread) isn't working. Many thanks!
Mediamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, butter my backside and call me a biscuit -- they seem to have shut it down.

How fortunate that I happened to pull a copy onto my hard drive.

Unfortunately, I didn't pull copies of the photos, those were interesting.

Addition: Some of the stuff seems to still be there, but they have, indeed, pulled the manual and the photos. (sigh)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kindle Manual.pdf (304.9 KB, 1351 views)

Last edited by NatCh; 09-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #29
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
My question now is when we are going to see a Google ebook reader. The trend in online content seems to be that the physical stuff (devices, peripherals, high speed access) is where the real money is, since digital content is becoming more and more available at unbeatable prices (0$!!).

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

I could'nt open the one you posted NatCh so I'm posting my copy and the one with the pictures.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 07-28-2010 at 11:40 PM.